Lift Master Remote RE-Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 garage doors that use Liftmaster remotes. I was trying to program the door openers in one of my cars. Problem being I had 2 remotes that worked the same garage door. I need one of them to work one door and the other to work the other door. That way I can use the remotes to program the remotes in my car.

I took one of the remotes and followed the instructions as best as I could. I pressed the green button in the transmitter, light comes on, held the remote button down, light in transmitter flashes and turns off. I figure I'm done.

Well, now that remote works both doors. Both go up and both go down with one push.

Do I need to erase the remote somehow? I took out the battery and pressed the "on" button a bunch of times. Went back to program at the transmitter again but the doggone remote still opens both doors simultaneously.

The doors are 1994 editions and I can't find the owner's info.

After watching the video I'm assuming you cannot re-program a remote with just one button on it. All I did was just reprogram the other garage door to work with this remote's signal.

Oh, thanks for the video. And no, my remote just has one key to press

Last edited:
Maybe this will help?

You've done half the job and got the other unit to recognize the remote, but you still have to tell the first unit to forget that remote. In the process, you'll probably lose both remotes on that unit so you'll have to reprogram it to recognize the one you want to use for that.

opus1, I saw that page and I'm trying to avoid it. I have 10 cars that are programmed to my garage doors and 4 of them aren't here.

I guess a remote just has one code and it can't be changed.

I'd rather spend a few $'s and get another newer remote. I'll call Chamberlain/Liftmaster.

Here's my remote:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something that old is likely to have its code set by switches inside. If you throw the switches to another code (just choose at random) it will stop working the first door, then you set the second door to recognize it.

Last edited:
opus1, I gotta do what you suggested. Erase and start over. I can keep these remotes or Chamberlain rep suggested I get a universal remote made by Chamberlain.

Originally Posted by mk378
Something that old is likely to have its code set by switches inside. If you throw the switches to another code (just choose at random) it will stop working the first door, then you set the second door to recognize it.

I'll crack it open now.

It was easy. Just deleted codes in one transmitter that opened with both remotes and then programmed the one remote to it.

Thanks for your help.

if those are only single door remotes you might consider getting a new universal remote that can do both doors

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Garage-Replacement-Chamberlain-Liftmaster/dp/B07NQCGNBF/ref=sr_1_107?crid=3O524W6LX04CC&keywords=garage+door+opener+remote&qid=1571774684&sprefix=garage+doo%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-107

Originally Posted by WhyMe
if those are only single door remotes you might consider getting a new universal remote that can do both doors

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Garage-Replacement-Chamberlain-Liftmaster/dp/B07NQCGNBF/ref=sr_1_107?crid=3O524W6LX04CC&keywords=garage+door+opener+remote&qid=1571774684&sprefix=garage+doo%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-107

I'm considering. Only $30. But they are both working now.

off topic but the industry could do better.
my nissan homelink has one set of instructions in the car manual
the genie openner has another set
internet has a 3rd
all slightly different.
stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back