License Plates

I guess First New Yorker to chime in here.

Front and rear plates, NY is now on it's 3rd iteration of the place since 2000, with technically all 3 styles being legal and renewable.

Front and rear plate, no stickers affixed to the plate for passenger cars, trucks or commercial trucks. Registration and yearly safety/emissions stickers are affixed to the bottom driver corner of the windshield from the inside with inspection closest to the pillar. Trailers and ATVs have registration year stickers affixed to the corner of the plate (and I think snowmobiles do as well). I am not sure if inspection is supposed to be on the physical trailer or ATV but I keep them on me or in the glovebox.

Truth be told, my new ATV is registered in PA-DCNR and not NY.

I’m in Indiana. We are only required to have a rear plate and have to purchase an annual renewal sticker. As a matter of fact I put the new stickers on our plates just yesterday

How long ago was that?

I lived in ILL from 2008 to 2014 and never needed to replace plates annually.
I think the annual replacement stopped in the late 70's or early 80's...whenever Illinois switched to the mostly white plate with a blue-ish bar on top. Those are the plates I got when I moved there in the 90's and am currently running the replacement plates that they sent out around 2002-2003. The rear plate on the Sonata is actually rusting since it lived on the back of my old Malibu for many years.

I'm trying to find out if I can switch the Ranger over to Antique plates. It now meets the age requirement but supposedly the vendor hasn't run any new plates since "the virus" hit.

All of my plates are random-number/state issued. I was going to spring for some of the specialty plates that they have, but former governor Blago made me rethink that when he was quoted saying that it was obvious that Illinois wasn't charging enough for license plates if people were willing to pay extra for the specialty or vanity plates.

Ohio went to one plate on July 1st!
Way overdue.

And yes, the rides like it as well.

Ohio just did away with the front plate last month.
It was neat, when we bought the Pilot, the dealership did not put the front plate holder on the front bumper.
Still have the bracket in its plastic stored in the shed.
My guess is I will probably be needing it in the next year or two when LE manages to lobby the legislature to bring the requirement back.

How long ago was that?

I lived in ILL from 2008 to 2014 and never needed to replace plates annually.

I left there in 1982 so it had to be sometime before that. We got two new plates annually. They were different color from the previous year. I think the Springfield solons tried to make them the color of an instate college. Once they were purple like the hapless Northwestern wildcats.

These are my front plates in Cali, caught once and only got a fix it ticket. Wifes Malibu has no plates.
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG

Texans put up with the silliest crap I've ever seen. Front and rear plates and huge stickers on the windshield.

Since 2015, we have one sticker on the windshield. Its in the far lower left corner. You can barely even see it when you drive. Its the size of a credit card.

Be informed before you post.

Nothing on mine, though it wouldn’t really bother me on either of my vehicles. If I had a sporty car like a corvette or something it would bother me.

Attachments

• 7749D796-C7D9-474C-BBB2-A9D5AF2139E2.jpeg
    7749D796-C7D9-474C-BBB2-A9D5AF2139E2.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 12
Ohio did away with the front plate on July 1st 2020. Most Ohioans still haven't removed it from their vehicle(s) yet.
I'm surprised Texas has a front plate being the state they are.

Don't confuse "Don't Mess with Texas" with "Come As You Are".

Last edited:
I was just talking to a guy last week who owns a Porsche in Texas. I happened to ask him about the lack of a front plate. He tells me he has owned his car in Houston for years and never got a ticket. My presumption is, if Houston won't ticket you for no front plate, almost no one in Texas would. I do wish the front plate would go away, but Texas is not overly strict.

Years ago Texas was set to drop the front plate to save money. The Law Enforcement group’s lobby pitched a fit that it would endanger law enforcement lives. So the front plate remains.

Bull!...they just did not want to get out of their air conditioned cruisers to check plates on cars backed into spots in Motel parking lots. Crimes solved by viewing a front plate by LE or a witness are rare or non existent.

You WILL get a ticket for no front plate.
I have noticed it is enforced in some cities more than others. I have seen people go for years without them around here. And on the other hand I had a friend run without on his Camaro and he got cited right away. That was in Temecula.

Back