License Plates

As noted previously, GA only requires a rear plate and we put a new little sticker on the corner of it each year. No window stickers of any kind required where I live. I wouldn't move to a state that requires uglifying the front of my vehicles. When I've bought new cars , I've made the dealers patch, fill any front bumper holes and repaint the front fascia. They did it.

Really? That’s strange.
It beats this - and these aren't that bad. I've seen plates where half of the face was peeled off and there was nothing left but the embossed aluminum.

defective-license-plates.jpg

It beats this - and these aren't that bad. I've seen plates where half of the face was peeled off and there was nothing left but the embossed aluminum.

View attachment 29634
Dang. I always get new tags before mine start to peel and then I just hang the other ones on my wall for my collection. I have seen several peeled plates especially the older Virginia ones too they really liked to peel.

I was just talking to a guy last week who owns a Porsche in Texas. I happened to ask him about the lack of a front plate. He tells me he has owned his car in Houston for years and never got a ticket. My presumption is, if Houston won't ticket you for no front plate, almost no one in Texas would. I do wish the front plate would go away, but Texas is not overly strict.

I rented a camaro in Nevada that came with no front plate. Driving around, everyone else had one.

Looked up the law when I got back, it was basically that you had to run two unless you couldn't.

Well that's a loophole!

One trip through the car wash; this is why I loathe Illinois' requirement for a front plate:

View attachment 29952
I live in Virginia where two plates are also required and have seen that many times I couldn’t live with a bent plate so I would have to get new ones or bend the old ones back into shape I get new plates about every year anyway so I can add the others to my collection.

Like previously mentioned Georgia is just a 1 plate state - personally I peel off prior year sticker and clean the plate with cleaner before putting new sticker on.

Until recently you would get a new plate every single time you got a new/used car, there was no transferring of plates so I ended up with a mini-hoard of GA plates as I went through a large number of vehicles since I moved here (I was paranoid about just tossing them in the trash and them getting in the wrong hands). Seems they finally wised up to this sometime between 2019-2020 and now you hang onto the tag from your old car until the registration gets transferred then you can re-install your old tag on your new to you car, took about a month with my E-Golf.

Other issue we have to deal with is having 2 different designs - there is a gaudy colorful peach state design then just the minimalist design. Made the mistake once of not clarifying at car purchase and ended up driving around with the gaudy plate until that car was totaled. BTW we are not the top Peach producing state.

ga17a.jpg
s-l400.jpg

Plates or Tags, we all have one. Some have two. My state, NC, only requires a plate on the rear of the car. We replace the sticker yearly so the inconvenience is minor compared with having to change a front and rear plate annually like I used to have to do in Illinois. Always seemed like it was winter when that happened.

Having a front plate seems like a waste of steel to me. We also can have anything we like slapped on the front of our cars/trucks.

What's on your front end?
I live in NC as well, so nothing but clean paint. No holes!

Like previously mentioned Georgia is just a 1 plate state - personally I peel off prior year sticker and clean the plate with cleaner before putting new sticker on.

Until recently you would get a new plate every single time you got a new/used car, there was no transferring of plates so I ended up with a mini-hoard of GA plates as I went through a large number of vehicles since I moved here (I was paranoid about just tossing them in the trash and them getting in the wrong hands). Seems they finally wised up to this sometime between 2019-2020 and now you hang onto the tag from your old car until the registration gets transferred then you can re-install your old tag on your new to you car, took about a month with my E-Golf.

Other issue we have to deal with is having 2 different designs - there is a gaudy colorful peach state design then just the minimalist design. Made the mistake once of not clarifying at car purchase and ended up driving around with the gaudy plate until that car was totaled. BTW we are not the top Peach producing state.

View attachment 30222View attachment 30223
Let me know if you want to get rid of any I collect license plates and just hang them on my wall I don’t do anything else with them I don’t have any Georgia ones yet.

Some states have dabbled with lifetime plates that last as long as you own the car.
Due to the reduced overhead costs it saves the states millions of dollars.

I wish they would do that here

Some states have dabbled with lifetime plates that last as long as you own the car.
Due to the reduced overhead costs it saves the states millions of dollars.

I wish they would do that here
We have that in Virginia we can also get new plates at any time of any design we want. We can also transfer any license plates from car to car for a $2 fee.

Back