LED retrofit for recessed can lights

Bought a bunch of Hyperikon retro LED lights to start to retrofit all the can lights I have. These have spring tension arms (spring wire). And expect to fit into slots in the can. My can does not have the slots. The old incandescent reflector had some flat spring metal fingers that fit against the inside of the can. The new retrofit lights with the spring tension arms don't really hold the light in properly. The spring tension arms need to be in slots.

So is the solution to go to Home Depot and get some LED retrofit lights that just fit in a plain can without requiring slots to spring tension arms?

I did not think it would be this complicated.

I prefer to simply swap out incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs over trying to swap out beauty rings and such for this very reason. Unless you buy parts specifically for the cans you have, it's a roll of the dice whether the new parts will play well with the old.

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
I prefer to simply swap out incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs over trying to swap out beauty rings and such for this very reason. Unless you buy parts specifically for the cans you have, it's a roll of the dice whether the new parts will play well with the old.

+1. Just buy flood type leds

I too use standard led bulbs in can lights. I find that there are socket extenders that can bring the bulb closer to the open end of the can for greater light coming out.

Agreed, just buy the appropriate size PAR bulbs from Hyperikon and swap. Great bulbs and excellent customer service, every single bulb in my house inside and out is a Hyperikon.

I have the 90s recess florescent tube (2 pin and 4 pin type) that I cannot easily swap over to LED in the bathroom. I guess that was due to the fire and moisture related building code of the ear as the rest of the house is on the screw incandescent bulb lighting.

Was looking up how to and I think it is way more effort than worth. I'll just keep them florescent bulb as they aren't saving that much energy to recoup any conversion cost.

I see Halo (from HomeDepot) has ones that have spring tension arms or friction fit metal fingers. You unscrew one and screw in the other. Then there is the wattage and color.

Recently got a Halo light from Home Depot to replace an LED can light that went out. The thing about these ones, is that there is a slide switch on the light that lets you adjust color. Works pretty well, but cost about 30 bucks each.

Rd
Recently got a Halo light from Home Depot to replace an LED can light that went out. The thing about these ones, is that there is a slide switch on the light that lets you adjust color. Works pretty well, but cost about 30 bucks each.

That is the one I bought. You need to buy the right wattage and then you can select the color at install time.

Back