LED headlight trend

I've heard of the function, but never owned a car with them. Still don't, although two in my fleet have automatic headlights.

It's a surprisingly old feature. As I noted above, my 1989 Town Car had it. It was a bit sketchy at times but generally worked OK. I didn't use it too often though.

My M5 had factory HID projectors and they were excellent (auto levelling, like my Jeep has now) my Charger did not have that feature so rises/hills could potentially lead to light going where it shouldn't. I think a lot of the early factory HID setups were actually pretty good. I think the fact that HID bulbs require a bit of work to get into a reflector housing is what's kept it from being more widespread. With the availability of LED's in a format that fit in the location of a traditional halogen bulb and the cost of entry being much lower the offence rate has increased. That said, I do think that an HID in a halogen reflector typically results in a more intense glare, at least from what I've seen, than your typical aftermarket LED in the same housing.
What blew my mind are the swiveling or adaptive headlights. I didnt know what I was missing until I got them. Cant see owning a vehicle without them, now.

I've heard of the function, but never owned a car with them. Still don't, although two in my fleet have automatic headlights.
Nearly every new Toyota, at all trim levels, comes with automatic high beams. They are quite good too. When I first bought mine my hand would hover over the stalk but I found that the car would kill the high beams about a quarter second before I was about to kill them.

Back