Leaky Windshield - Cover with PPF?

2006 Sentra,

The windshield has a tiny leak at the top.

I posted it here for a solution (can't find the link) and the most recommended windshield silicone. I cleaned up the area well, sprayed some rust reformer and next day poured a good amount of silicone. The problem was fixed all summer. Yesterday, it rained a little bit and again a drop appeared at exactly the same place.

I wonder if I can cover the area with 3M Paint Protection Film, partially on the windshield and partially on the roof.

Any better ideas?

That rust bubble above the rubber is key. It’s most likely rusted down into the pinch weld and the windshield sealant has separated from the weld due to the rust. The only real repair is to remove the windshield, properly repair the pinch weld and reinstall the windshield. If it isn’t too extensive you may be able to use some of the flowable windshield sealant but I’ll tell you it won’t last long.

It’s most likely rusted down into the pinch weld and the windshield sealant has separated from the weld due to the rust. The only real repair is to remove the windshield, properly repair the pinch weld and reinstall the windshield.
You are correct. Before I poured the silicone, I went to Safelite and they gave me a quote of $1200 - $1500, depending on if they can remove the windshield intact. He mentioned that most likely that will not be possible because it is an aftermarket windshield and gave some other reasons. (This is a pre-owned vehicle). I am not interested in spending that kind of money on a car that is worth just about $1K.
Involving insurance is not worth the hassle in this case as my deductible is $500 and repairing rust is not covered.

You need to use the windshield adhesive stuff, like this stuff. It remains flexible over time and will not leak like silicone.
You are correct but this stuff is so thick, that there is no way it will reach the pinholes / smaller holes. These holes are not large holes. When it pours, I see a couple of drops only, and as @kschachn mentioned, it is most likely because of the rust. The way this windshield is designed, the only way is to remove and reinstall the windshield, which is expensive for what the car is worth. I used Flowable silicone.

I know this is not the best solution. I will be happy even if I get a couple of years out of this PPF thing. But just wondered if anybody had a better idea to address it without removing the windshield.

^ ?? $1200 seems outrageously high. I recently got a windshield replaced for $223 (if not involving insurance), maybe saved $30 by taking it to a local shop opposed to them coming to me. It was maybe $30 cheaper than Safelite's estimate too, before even subtracting $30 to take it to them. PGW glass, not the low end stuff.

However, in some states there is no deductible for windshield replacement. Not sure if that means it has to have broken glass or just a leak like yours. If your state has this stipulation but it has to be broken glass, maybe drive behind trucks a lot till it breaks, lol?

I just checked Safelite's website and the online quote to replace the glass on the Sentra is only $230. Are they trying to claim that some rust remediation is going to cost an extra $1K?! Wait, does that include painting the entire roof? I'd almost think it must.

Last edited:
@Dave9 I weighed all options before deciding to fill silicone in that gap. Actually, my regular mechanic's glass guy gave a similar estimate, ~$1200, but I learned about 'backfilling' where one can fill such holes. Safelite does it sometimes. Hence went to check with them. According to the guy, I spoke with, rust fixing should alone cost about $700+, plus a 2X mobile visit fee, glass removal, and installation charges.

I have windshield deductible. I don't know what mandate NY has but earlier this month (at renewal), I tried to get zero deductible for the windshield and the insurance company won't do it.
(Another vehicle is the 2015 Forester, with expensive windshield and calibration, that was my goal behind zero deductible.)

During the last installation the installer scratched the paint while cutting out the glass and now a large area is rusted and the seal has failed. If appearance isn't a concern I would pull out the top molding, use windshield primer to treat the rust, then spread on some urethane as nice as you can make it look.

When it happened to my Sienna I removed the windshield myself (it broke) and I ground down/sanded out all the rust. Once it was clean and sound I bought a small 2-part can of epoxy primer and primed all the bare metal, then had a mobile windshield place come over and install a new windshield. The total cost with the primer and a rattle can of black paint from Autozone was about $280. I got a little break on the installation cost because everything was already prepped.

2006 Sentra,

The windshield has a tiny leak at the top.

I posted it here for a solution (can't find the link) and the most recommended windshield silicone. I cleaned up the area well, sprayed some rust reformer and next day poured a good amount of silicone. The problem was fixed all summer. Yesterday, it rained a little bit and again a drop appeared at exactly the same place.

I wonder if I can cover the area with 3M Paint Protection Film, partially on the windshield and partially on the roof.

Any better ideas?

Get a new windshield molding, remove (or have the glass company do it) the molding and with a calking gun put a bead of silicone all the way around then install the new molding. IIRC you cannot save this type of molding on most Japanese cars as they don't use a separate channel, most are under 50 bucks.

Back