leaking radiator fitting, again

Status
Not open for further replies.
replaced the GM15226661 fitting in the top of the 13 malibu radiator end tank, ok for a while but leaking again!!! these fittings are used + problematic in many GM produced vehicles. i am looking without success to fit a 9/16 X 18 thread "adapter" into the radiator, cut the steel line + fit a 3/8 ID hose over the cut off line on to the part i am looking for coming out of the radiator, any help appreciated!!

If this is the transmission cooler line, and if it's the same GM design as the one on my 01 Pontiac I just dealt with, I doubt using a hose and clamp will work. That steel pipe has no ridge on the end, you'll never get a good seal, and it's also under some pressure. Probably needs a new transmission line along with new fitting and o-ring.

Originally Posted by neo3
If this is the transmission cooler line, and if it's the same GM design as the one on my 01 Pontiac I just dealt with, I doubt using a hose and clamp will work. That steel pipe has no ridge on the end, you'll never get a good seal, and it's also under some pressure. Probably needs a new transmission line along with new fitting and o-ring.

Maybe if you flared the line at the end?

I saw a video of Eric O. of South Main Auto making a power steering metal return line for some car . He used the copper nickle ( ? ) brake line & put a flare on the end . Said that would keep the rubber hose & clamp from coming off .

So , you might try a flare .

the fitting itself is the issue!! the line going into it has a raised area + a clip that fits in a slot in the fitting, the line has movement once installed + ONLY the small O-ring seals it!! i have seen where some went to quality AN fittings but a costly deal for a sloppy GM part thats prolly made in CHINA!!!

Have you tried some gas pipe tape on the threads? keep the o ring just put the tape on the threads, don't use the cheap white 3 for a dollar stuff but yellow gas.

Originally Posted by benjy
the fitting itself is the issue!! the line going into it has a raised area + a clip that fits in a slot in the fitting, the line has movement once installed + ONLY the small O-ring seals it!! i have seen where some went to quality AN fittings but a costly deal for a sloppy GM part thats prolly made in CHINA!!!

You're right there's a slight ridge in the line, that's how the clip holds it in, but I doubt that's going to make a good seal with a hose. I once tried clamping two ends of a power steering hose together using a barbed metal fitting, it leaked no matter how much I tightened the clamps.

That small o-ring does work though, mine worked for 17 years without leaking. Also, mine didn't have movement in the fitting. The new ones that came with the new radiator (not GM, yeah made in China, probably) also don't leak (so far) and no play.

Last edited:
the original leaked after about 4 years , the OE replacement lasted 4 months!!! got one from Napa today also chinese but construction looks a bit different so prolly from another mfg, i will fit it next week if it still leaks its silicone gasket sealer!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back