Latest oil purchase for Lawnmowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up this Shell Rotella T5 during the Black Friday sale at Walmart. Got tired of looking for single quarts or liters so I bought this 5 liter jug. Should do me for a few years for my two lawnmowers and one brush trimmer. It's overkill for a lawn mower for sure, but why not.
laugh.gif

8912C7EC-F860-4208-B0A0-B685768F7AA2.jpeg

Last edited:
I've run that in several different small engines and it has done well, especially in engines that are older and consume a bit of oil.

This is probably a dumb question, but I have seen that too, and because that says "diesel engine oil", I did not know if I could use it. So, I assume it's ok for gas engines too.

I picked up a jug of that a couple years ago after rebate and it being on sale for $8ish and my mower loves it. I've also ran it in my 5.7 in the summer. Just wish it came in 5 quarts jugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wayne50
This is probably a dumb question, but I have seen that too, and because that says "diesel engine oil", I did not know if I could use it. So, I assume it's ok for gas engines too.

Certainly for engines with no catalytic convertors, there is really no issue using HDEO in a gas engine. API does not want high zinc / phosphorus oils used in gas engines with cats. I'll quit there because lot of Bitoggers insist it does no harm if you aren't burning oil.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I had $10 left in rebate limit from Shell so I grabbed jug of RGT 5w30 last night. It'll go into all the small engines.

Any diesel oil will do the job well. Keeps engine clean lots of zinc for preventing metal on metal wear. Holds up to high temperatures too. Keep air filter clean and check oil level before using for the day.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
HDEO/diesel oil works great in mowers, lawn tractors, any outdoor power equipment.

Don't forget motorcycles. Depending on the mower and its engine many don't need high zinc, zinc does nothing for plastic cam shafts.

Originally Posted by FastGame
Originally Posted by dwendt44
HDEO/diesel oil works great in mowers, lawn tractors, any outdoor power equipment.

Don't forget motorcycles. Depending on the mower and its engine many don't need high zinc, zinc does nothing for plastic cam shafts.

Small engines don't need high zinc anyway. The valve spring pressures are so low you can push the valves open with your hands. The exceptions are the race built kart engines, but those are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back