latest choices of diesel oils for common sump bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bonz
Just curious, no heartburn intended so please take this as honest inquiry on my part.

What is the reason/rationale for mixing in Amsoil 15w40 syn in a low rpm 250cc twin (i.e. long stroke) that is air cooled (will contaminate oil sooner rather than later with blow-by because of the looser tolerances). What are you trying to improve on with that mix, in this engine with a 2000 mile OCI? What does Yamaha spec for an OCI?

Run the 10w40 Dino and never look back.

The scooter I believe has an 1800 mile OCI, why almost 2X as often as recommended?

well...I snagged the Amsoil from a local place that takes care of fire, ems, police vehicles on different occasions for slightly less than $4/qt to slightly more than $5/qt (some goofy billing quirk at the register in their firearms dept)...I got it so I might as well use it to 'beef up' whatever I use and make a synthetic blend; the V Star 250 is oil/filter every 3k & the Buddy 125 is every 1.8k for oil & every 3.6k for filter; I always change oil/filter early on 2 wheeled death machines...I do this to have a higher chance of keeping oil in proper viscosity range and clean out engine-transmission-clutch gunk sooner; my car never goes 5k intervals either; just who I am I guess

Originally Posted by Diesel12
Originally Posted by beanoil
Diesel12 said:
Valvoline MC oil is effective and cheap.
There are a couple of folks here that like VR-1 straight 40 weight in common sump bikes. No shear, very good performance. Currently 4.99 a quart at NAPA. That will be the next fill in my out of warranty Can-Am Spyder (dry sump, hydraulic shift, wet clutch).

Did you even read the description?
[Linked Image]

Also to you VR1 recommendation again if you read it clearly states VR1 is not recommended for Wet Clutches.
[Linked Image]

Myself and some others I know run Valvoline VR1 20-50 in wet clutch bikes with no problems....I believe it may not work in every bike and might be a matter of clutch lining material. Valvoline issues the warning to play it safe.

Originally Posted by Truckedup
Myself and some others I know run Valvoline VR1 20-50 in wet clutch bikes with no problems....I believe it may not work in every bike and might be a matter of clutch lining material. Valvoline issues the warning to play it safe.

Most of the high performance bikes have a clutch design that locks the plates tighter as the engine load/torque increases through the clutch.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Truckedup

Most of the high performance bikes have a clutch design that locks the plates tighter as the engine load/torque increases through the clutch.

I'm talking about older bikes with no centrifugal locking feature for the clutch plates...

*** UPDATE ***

got tired of chasing my tail dealing with walmart online ordering to get more valvoline atv oil in 10w-40 to build a stash...orders not getting filled, cancellations not going thru, etc; just returned the original purchase to walmart and bought a gallon jug of supertech 15w-40 for $9.64...I'll add a few more jugs as pay checks allow

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
*** UPDATE ***

got tired of chasing my tail dealing with walmart online ordering to get more valvoline atv oil in 10w-40 to build a stash...orders not getting filled, cancellations not going thru, etc; just returned the original purchase to walmart and bought a gallon jug of supertech 15w-40 for $9.64...I'll add a few more jugs as pay checks allow

I doubt you would be able to tell any difference between the Valvoline and ST, aside for a few more bucks for gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back