Late 2000s Town Car

Thinking about picking up a late 2000s Town Car to put miles on. Looking for a comfortable car to spend 3-seasons worth of my commute in (about 60 miles a day, some days more). A good majority will be on the NYS Thruway. I can't imagine a Panther car doing too bad MPG wise. I've always thought of them as being built well. Winter, I will not drive this. Any other cars as comfortable as a Town Car or Crown Vic? I love my Taurus but I love it much more now that it's the wife's.

Those Town Cars are smooooooth. My Dad had a late Cartier edition...that thing was like riding on a mattress. Got pretty decent gas mileage too for its size.

I used to live in NJ/NY, all of the taxi/livery cars were town cars / panther platform. Heavy on gas in town but quite reasonable on the highway.

As long as you buy an '04 and up, you'll be fine. Nothing changed after that besides the interior. The '04 will have the 4r75w along with the updated frame, suspension, and steering. I myself have had my eye on one of these for years. I just never come across the right one. I used to DD a 225k mile Marauder and loved ever minute of it.

Originally Posted by redhat
Thinking about picking up a late 2000s Town Car to put miles on. Looking for a comfortable car to spend 3-seasons worth of my commute in (about 60 miles a day, some days more). A good majority will be on the NYS Thruway. I can't imagine a Panther car doing too bad MPG wise. I've always thought of them as being built well. Winter, I will not drive this. Any other cars as comfortable as a Town Car or Crown Vic? I love my Taurus but I love it much more now that it's the wife's.
You might want to look for an older Lexus LS400, too. As comfortable or more than the Lincoln, and quite possibly the best built and most reliable cars ever made.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by redhat
You might want to look for an older Lexus LS400, too. As comfortable or more than the Lincoln, and quite possibly the best built and most reliable cars ever made.
I promise an LS400, as good of a car as it is, will need more work post-200k than a Panther. Even if it's just in routine maintenance, like the timing belt. That, and a much more expensive and hard to fix suspension setup. Also, parts aren't as reasonable for low cost-of-running if it's just a run around car.

Panthers are probably the lowest maintenance vehicles on earth. That is if you maintain your Panther. I serviced mine every 5K miles I had a few from 1988 till 2016 until I bought my Tahoe.. I put around 300K on all of them. Mostly just basic maintenance. All had original engine and transmission. I used only Motorcraft or Mobil 1 oil and used only Motorcraft filters. Only major issue was a accumulator on my 2005 Crown Vic and that was around 200K miles. Never used oil between changes. Got around 24 MPG out on the highway on 87 octane fuel. I used only Exxon-Mobil fuel. I had to commute from NYC to upstate New York everyday. It was pleasure to drive and never left me stranded. The only replacement for my 4.6 Panther I could find [for me anyway] was the 5.3 Tahoe.