Last Purolator filter i will ever buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a Purolator oil filter for a 500 mi oci. I had replaced the cam, lifter and timing set in my Jeep CJ-7 so I was running a short oci with break in oil during camshaft break in. I felt it would be a waste to run a Fram ultra (what I normally use) for such a short run. Fyi I am also running a magnetic drain plug as well. I drained out the break in oil and swapped the Purolator filter for an ultra and some high zddp oil. I decided to cut open the Purolator and was VERY disappointed to find the filter media covered in the epoxy they glue the end caps with.
20200729_135325.jpg
20200729_135351.jpg
20200729_135404.jpg
20200729_135446.jpg

That's odd...
Yep. I have invested WAY to much into my Jeep to trust parts that obviously lack quality control. The glue probably didn't cause any problems but the anti drain back valve didn't do it's job on this filter, that is enough for me to not spend money on one again.

Last edited:
At least it didn't tear and let break-in debris through without filtering.

AT the end of the day your Jeep isn't going to blow up from that filter.
Enough said.............
Soo would you knowingly put the filter pictured above on your vehicle? I know I wouldn't and because of that horrendous quality control i won't buy their products again...

I gave up on them years ago when they went from the very good bluish/purple filters to the puke colored metal flake painted filters. Many of which had the metal flakes on the rubber gasket and base plate. If memory serves me correctly the torn media followed, I'm sure someone will correct me if my timeline is off. ;) IMO the puke colored filters was the beginning of the end for them, and I haven't looked back. I read these threads from time to time, see they still have problems, and have no intentions of ever using one of their filters again.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

I gave up on them years ago when they went from the very good bluish/purple filters to the puke colored metal flake painted filters. Many of which had the metal flakes on the rubber gasket and base plate. If memory serves me correctly the torn media followed, I'm sure someone will correct me if my timeline is off. ;) IMO the puke colored filters was the beginning of the end for them, and I haven't looked back. I read these threads from time to time, see they still have problems, and have no intentions of ever using one of their filters again.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

On my Toyota I've been using them since before 2010 and I cut those cans. I've yet to find a tear o lator. Not saying they don't happen all filter makers very likely all have tear 0 lators. I've posted several on mine here on BITOG by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back