Last Crown Vic Retired from CHP

My office had one that was transferred to us from Tx DPS. Was a Lt.'s or Cptns Car. That thing got very good mileage for a big car. Most likely due to no emmission stuff on the engine. It ran like a scalded dog. It was down right scarry how fast that thing could accelerate. A coworker and i went to training and was getting on I-30 that had a really short on-ramp. There was a break between semis so i punched it and jumped out between them. Had to hit the break as i was hitting 85 merging from this little ~75 yard onramp. My co-pilot said "Man that tach hit 5 grand!" Being a DPS car i imagine it had been there many times.

How does a video of a Dodge Monaco, which has “a 440 inch plant” honor the Ford Crown Vic?

Hi Astro. Want to know?

I'll compare them. The Dodge Monaco was a 1974 version with 220 HP. It did 0 to 60 in 9.7 seconds.

Now compare it with a 2007 Crown vic (presently 13 years old) They came as Police Interceptors.

" It has a Cop Motor,
Cop Tires,
Cop Suspension,
Cop shocks,

And while the 2007 Crown Vic runs on unleaded gas, it did 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, enough to blow away the Monaco.

What do ya say Astro, is this the new Blues Mobile or what?

:p

Last edited:
Santa Barbara County Sheriff and SBPD still have Crown Vics in their fleets, I love getting the calls on them.
OPD and SFPD are still using them. SFPD takes the cake, however for oldest car - they have a C/K squarebody truck or Suburban at the Mission Police station.

Someone in the Bay Area bought a 1980s-1990s era ex-Oakland CVPI and shows it off every now and then.

Put lots of miles on Crown Vics in my career with the ISP, last one I had was an 08 before I went into investigations that same year.

There will never be another low maintenance vehicle like the Crown Vic [or any of the other 4.6 Panther vehicles] ever again. I owned several and all were trouble free. I managed to put on over 300K miles on my 05 Crown Vic. Besides regular maintenance only had to do the Accumulator for the a/c and a Water Pump. All that was around 200K miles. Never used any oil between changes and ran 5w20.

There will never be another low maintenance vehicle like the Crown Vic [or any of the other 4.6 Panther vehicles] ever again. I owned several and all were trouble free. I managed to put on over 300K miles on my 05 Crown Vic. Besides regular maintenance only had to do the Accumulator for the a/c and a Water Pump. All that was around 200K miles. Never used any oil between changes and ran 5w20.

4 cyl Camry will do all that. And be just as fast and get double the gas mileage. Although it won't take the abuse to the chassis like a Panther.

Hi Astro. Want to know?

I'll compare them. The Dodge Monaco was a 1974 version with 220 HP. It did 0 to 60 in 9.7 seconds.

Now compare it with a 2007 Crown vic (presently 13 years old) They came as Police Interceptors.

" It has a Cop Motor,
Cop Tires,
Cop Suspension,
Cop shocks,

And while the 2007 Crown Vic runs on unleaded gas, it did 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, enough to blow away the Monaco.

What do ya say Astro, is this the new Blues Mobile or what?

:p

Fix the cigarette lighter

Although it won't take the abuse to the chassis like a Panther.
Cabbies and Uber drivers trash Prii all the time. Before Lyft and Uber all but wiped out cabs in SF, it was a common sight to see a P71/72 or a Prius in Yellow Cab/Luxor Cab regalia passing by you making a loud clamor or blowing blue smoke.

Cabbies have moved onto the Escape and Fusion hybrids, Uber drivers are now driving Altimas or Sonatas on all-inclusive(but expensive) leases from Fair or Hertz - before the pandemic.

Cabbies and Uber drivers trash Prii all the time. Before Lyft and Uber all but wiped out cabs in SF, it was a common sight to see a P71/72 or a Prius in Yellow Cab/Luxor Cab regalia passing by you making a loud clamor or blowing blue smoke.

Cabbies have moved onto the Escape and Fusion hybrids, Uber drivers are now driving Altimas or Sonatas on all-inclusive(but expensive) leases from Fair or Hertz - before the pandemic.

I meant like PIP maneuvers and stuff. :)

My family usually got 200-240k out of the p71 before it died. It went through an average of 2 replacement transmissions along the way. Window motors and the AC typically died several deaths as well. Alternators too. A water pump here or there. I fail to be impressed. We used the. because they were cheap, and held up well in wrecks, and we could go through them and replace necessary parts like transmissions or cracked intakes from the junkyard fairly cheap. Use the cars a year or two 200-240k on it, wash, rinse repeat.

I'm always happy to see Crown Vic cop cars get retired. Hopefully all the punks out there driving second hand interceptor models decked out as a fake cop car will no longer be able to slow traffic down to get their jollies.

I see a CV police car maybe once per year around here, so few that I have zero reservations about speeding around them. Just a few years ago if you saw a CV you had to read the license plate to determine if they were safe to pass!

I once took one from the motor pool to go to a meeting two hours away. It was sunny and I had a pair of aviator glasses on. I made no time whatsoever.

OPD and SFPD are still using them. SFPD takes the cake, however for oldest car - they have a C/K squarebody truck or Suburban at the Mission Police station.

Someone in the Bay Area bought a 1980s-1990s era ex-Oakland CVPI and shows it off every now and then.
That's amazing I have seen a few beat looking gmt800 sfpd units but never any gmt400s or square bodies. But I don't spend much time in San Francisco.

Back