Lack of Money or Lack of Priorities

So how many see this? Someone will lose $5000 in Vegas and not even blink. They have All Access NFL, NBA, and MLB. Cable with 500 channels. Go out to eat 2 -3 times per week, cigs and beer, and movies with jumbo super-sized everything. Calculated up, it can cost between $5000 - $7000 per year. But they'll cry poverty and no time, or "too busy" when they're told they should spend $60 on ATF every 3 - 4 years. Or use conventional oil to save $2 when syn is better. Anybody know why?

coffee2.gif

Just a different set of priorities.

I suspect some just don't see the bigger picture. Some refuse to do so, even if you explain it, some might but then immediately find it too hard to change.

Lack of perceived value (Frequent ATF changes, Syn Oil). If their vehicle dies somewhere between year 5-10 they just don't care.

While I agree with the OP's premise, it is unlikely that this thread will end well
smile.gif

Due to a lack of tact or a lack of following the board rules
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Astro14
coffee2.gif

You can say the same about everything human consume: large trucks, boats, vacations, McMansion, fashion items, diamonds, alcohols, sports cars, divorce for a younger girl, etc.

The reality is we human are very vulnerable to temptation instead of what is an investment for our long term future. Many of us don't spend time and resource investing as much as we should, and we got burnt out before we reach that point and just give in to what is enjoyable NOW. It is also not just money, but time and attention as well.

Originally Posted by Astro14
"Penny-wise and pound-foolish" has been a saying since, well, hundreds of years ago..

That saying needs to get updated--a penny hasn't had any value for a bit. Heck a dollar doesn't seem to buy much these days. "Dollar-wise and credit card foolish"?

Originally Posted by supton

I suspect some just don't see the bigger picture. Some refuse to do so, even if you explain it, some might but then immediately find it too hard to change.

This.

Most people know very little about cars or finances.

Priorities. I get cars in here with shattered windshields,grinding brakes,bald tires etc. All they want fixed is the AC.

I myself am very frugal. But if I see a deal I snatch it up. Especially oil.

It's like the homeless woman I saw covered in tattoos and carrying a pack of smokes. She can afford tattoos and smokes....

I remember when I was still working. We would get bonuses some years and they were paid out around March. Some years they were substantial, amounting to about 15% of your annual pay. Mine always went right on the mortgage and I paid off a 30 year mortgage in 9 years. What always amazed me was that within a week, the number of new Benzs, BMWs, Caddies and other pricey cars in the parking lots shot way up. Nothing like "investing" in a depreciating asset. A few years later, some of these people were retiring and complaining that they : 1) didn't have the savings they wanted to have, 2) still had a mortgage payment that would go on for years in retirement, and 3) they did not know how they were going to make it in the long term.

The desire for instant pleasure is strong and many people cannot fight it. They will not see the advantage of saving for something that is 10, 20 or 30 years in the future. Somehow, there seems to be the idea that the Money Fairy is going to come along and sprinkle magic dust on them!

I find it interesting to read that the number one reason that people don't save for retirement is that the amount of money they are told they will need is so large that "why even bother!"

Originally Posted by rob1715
So how many see this? Someone will lose $5000 in Vegas and not even blink. They have All Access NFL, NBA, and MLB. Cable with 500 channels. Go out to eat 2 -3 times per week, cigs and beer, and movies with jumbo super-sized everything. Calculated up, it can cost between $5000 - $7000 per year. But they'll cry poverty and no time, or "too busy" when they're told they should spend $60 on ATF every 3 - 4 years. Or use conventional oil to save $2 when syn is better. Anybody know why?

This type is what's known as a tin horn, four flusher.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
coffee2.gif

Why don't people mind their own business?

For the OP's case about cars, you would be right. Nothing gained in worrying about something so trivial. But there seems to be a sad number of people whose consequences wind up as a tax on others. Either on public assistance or teaching their kids to be the same way, or just being a nuisance to listen to when they engage in some sort of blame shifting.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
It's like the homeless woman I saw covered in tattoos and carrying a pack of smokes. She can afford tattoos and smokes....

I am under the impression that many homeless people are that way due to mental illness. Plus how do you know she was buying tattoos while homeless--could she not have bought those during better times?

Originally Posted by supton

The absurdity of it all, the big picture is we're all headed for the same ending. It's a tough balancing act. Spend now while we're healthy or save for later and hope we're healthy enough to enjoy it.

Back