Kimchi

I have recently been enjoying this food. The girlfriends one Korean co worker makes this great kimchi pretty often. I like it with rice and some chili peppers and some chicken or steak meat.

Anyone else like kimchi?

Love kimchi. There is one shop near me that sources big jars of it from a place in Chicago. Still crunchy, and just the right amount of spice. Perfect!

GZbrhBb.jpg

I make my own and it takes 3 days at room temperature. A recent study identified the source of the anaerobic lactobacillus bacteria is from the Napa cabbage and garlic. I used to buy it on Amazon for $20 for 2lbs. Now, I have an unlimited supply from the Kimchi maker sold on Amazon and the costs is $3 for 2lbs.

It can make 5 liters or 5 1qt mason jars.
The best part is that old looking Napa cabbage becomes kimichi material. Zero waste!

I absolutely love kimchi, thankfully I have a friend who is an executive chef and ferments different foods on a regular basis. He is always happy to make kimchi knowing that I will eat whatever he gives me. A Korean restaurant in North Indianapolis had an owner that made some incredibly good stuff as well, though the restaurant was marketed as a salad shop it had an amazing assortment of East Asian foods.

I make my own and it takes 3 days at room temperature. A recent study identified the source of the anaerobic lactobacillus bacteria is from the Napa cabbage and garlic. I used to buy it on Amazon for $20 for 2lbs. Now, I have an unlimited supply from the Kimchi maker sold on Amazon and the costs is $3 for 2lbs.

It can make 5 liters or 5 1qt mason jars.
The best part is that old looking Napa cabbage becomes kimichi material. Zero waste!

That sounds awesome 👍😀

I enjoy Sinto Gourmet brand kimchi, the mild formula, out of San Francisco.
It uses grandma's recipe, she being a North Korean peasant who escaped south during the Korean War.
It is fresh raw, delicious and very healthy.

It is easy. The Korean containers create and easy anaerobic condition for fermentation. Soap and hot water is sufficient for sanitation.

My goto recipe

E-Jen Premium Kimchi, Sauerkraut Container Probiotic Fermentation with Inner Vacuum Lid Round (0.8 L)

Kimchi Maker

Last edited:
Love the stuff. Eat it whenever I can. I have a number of great Korean restaurants around where I live and they are amongst my favorite places to go eat. Not just because I like the food, but the friendliness of the proprietors and staff.

I saw some in the grocery when I was in high school, so I bought it to give it a try. When my Dad saw it, he told me on no uncertain terms to get it out of the house. He spent a year in Korea and a year in Vietnam, I realize now the smell probably triggered some memories he didn't care to remember.

I like it now.

Once at work I was regularly spending time at a company with Korean ownership and I could get a free lunch every day. The cafeteria was operated by a contractor, but they always had three types of food there - Indian and Korean. It was usually some sort of "inoffensive" (i.e. nobody gets scared off) item. However, one of the Korean workers there was telling me "don't eat the kimchi". I think it came out of a jar and he said it wasn't terribly good. However, there was some good stuff like deep fried mackerel and the contractor hired two Korean cooks.

Used to eat it from time to time while there … the self cook BBQ places were fun and the big crabs were sweet …
Soju cheers !

I eat Kimchi often. I live in an area with a large Korean-American population. The Korean Supermarket kimchi is "okay", but nothing exceptional. There is a well known kimchi store in NJ that makes really good Kimchi that most Koreans consider on par with what they get in Korea.
That's where l usually purchase mine from. I've been fortunate enough to eat homemade kimchi a number of times.

Back