Kendall GT-1 Max vs PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if there is any real difference between Kendall GT-1 Max 5w20 and Pennzoil Platinum 5w20? Vehicle is a 2019 Subaru Ascent and is my wife's daily driver. Mainly my curiosity about GT-1 Max having titanium is leading to me asking the question. Difference in cost is about +$1 / qt for Kendall with an OCI of 5000 miles. Thoughts?

Platinum wins, specifically for your DI turbo engine.

Not a lot of difference. Platinum has the slight advantage in base oil, being GTL group3+, somewhat better.
A google search on Kendal GT-1 Max https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1700629 says it has performed very well in wear tests, at least in the original Titanium-enhanced formula back in 2009, now slightly revised for SN+ LSPI tests.

Both are LSPI-resistant, great for your turbocharged engine. Platinum does LSPI tests in both Ecoboost and Ecotec turbos, doubling down on the tests.
Platinum also passes the GM oxidation test and the Turbocharger Coking Test, very nice to have.

Basically the dexos1 Platinum will have the advantage in most or all of the new dexos1 Generation 2 tests:
---- General Motors Oxidation & Deposit Test (GMOD) verifies the improved oxidation and deposit control characteristics.
----Stochastic Pre-ignition Test verifies the added protection for turbocharged engines and pre-ignition concerns.
----Turbocharger Deposit Test verifies the added protection for turbocharged engines and minimizes deposit formation, which ensures optimal performance during engine life.
--- Aeration Test (bubble control) ensures the air bubbles in the oil dissipate quickly to improve oil performance.

Thank you paoester! Great information
banana2.gif

Fun subject. Right now I'm looking at all the high performance new German 0w20 testing protocols, and they have the toughest set. I don't always recommend people use them (VW 508 or Mercedes 229.71) in direct injected turbos made in Korea, U.S., or Japan since they don't design them against LSPI like GM's dexos1, SN+, and the upcoming SP/GF6 will. (That said, they are low ash anyway, so likely not a problem. I'm not sure.)

Right now the cheap good oil to get is Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 (other weights too) since Shell has a $10 rebate they will mail you. Higher moly in that one, probably very good dexos1 qualified oil. Same parent company, Shell, as Pennzoil is. https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/cou...s/save-up-to-10-dollar-per-5-quarts.html

I always find posts like this interesting.
If there were fact based real world usage differences in D1G2 oils, the comparisons would be all over BITOG.
Somebody would have already started a shareable document that cataloged the optimal oils for particular usage situations and it would be pasted up in a sticky.

Reality is, any oil with current reputable approvals in combination with a common sense preventative maintenance schedule is the best recipe for success.

Originally Posted by paoester

Not a lot of difference. Platinum has the slight advantage in base oil, being GTL group3+, somewhat better.
A google search on Kendal GT-1 Max https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1700629 says it has performed very well in wear tests, at least in the original Titanium-enhanced formula back in 2009, now slightly revised for SN+ LSPI tests.

Both are LSPI-resistant, great for your turbocharged engine. Platinum does LSPI tests in both Ecoboost and Ecotec turbos, doubling down on the tests.
Platinum also passes the GM oxidation test and the Turbocharger Coking Test, very nice to have.

Basically the dexos1 Platinum will have the advantage in most or all of the new dexos1 Generation 2 tests:
---- General Motors Oxidation & Deposit Test (GMOD) verifies the improved oxidation and deposit control characteristics.
----Stochastic Pre-ignition Test verifies the added protection for turbocharged engines and pre-ignition concerns.
----Turbocharger Deposit Test verifies the added protection for turbocharged engines and minimizes deposit formation, which ensures optimal performance during engine life.
--- Aeration Test (bubble control) ensures the air bubbles in the oil dissipate quickly to improve oil performance.

You are aware Kendall GT-1 DEXOS passes the same tests and Pennzoil uses key terms such as "up to 50% cleaner", "unsurpassed". Not it always is 50% or even it always cleans anything superior each use and unsurpassed means no company can claim superior but all can claim just as well.

Originally Posted by dave1251

You are aware Kendall GT-1 DEXOS passes the same tests and Pennzoil uses key terms such as "up to 50% cleaner", "unsurpassed". Not it always is 50% or even it always cleans anything superior each use and unsurpassed means no company can claim superior but all can claim just as well.

Thought about that type-of-answer earlier today but, honestly, the OP asked about GT-1 MAX. Not that I think it's inferior to dexos in practical performance - currently running GT-1 MAX in my truck - but it's not relevant to his question.

The only difference between the GT-1 Max and GT-1 DEXOS is the non DEXOS has a .6% sulfated ash difference. I doubt it's even a different motor oil.

The only difference between the GT-1 Max and GT-1 DEXOS is the non DEXOS has a .6% sulfated ash difference. I doubt it's even a different motor oil.
No titanium in the dexos1 generic add package Kendall version. Its a different formula. It appears Kendall ConocoPhillips bought a proven qualified commodity add package from one of the big suppliers (Afton, Lubrizol, Oronite likely) and blended with normal group3 base oil like Warren does on their dexos1 oils, and like so many blenders do.

When comparing two oils, the only real facts we have are what tests one oil passes, & were never done on the other oil.

That is the difference between any dexos1 oil and non-dexos1 oil typically:
--------One oil passes all the extra wear, deposits, and turbocharger stuff, and the other oil is very unknown in how it might do. You can guess. Unreliable guessing.

Hang your hat on real evidence, not speculation on what might be.

There isn't might be. There is no "evidence" you posted on this thread other than DEXOS requirements and how this can be used to spin marketing.

The OP can use either or both for the lifetime of his/her vehicle and there will be no better choice out of the two.

Real engine tests are evidence.

Plain and simple. Real engines, real measurements, not marketing.

One oil has the extra tests, the other oil is a big unknown.

This is just common sense.

Kendall oil has been around for years. I used it in a Ford Explorer that went an easy 200,000 miles.

If it was my choice, I'd use Kendall

Real engine tests are evidence.

Plain and simple. Real engines, real measurements, not marketing.

One oil has the extra tests, the other oil is a big unknown.

This is just common sense.

You provided marketing statements not data not real measurements and test engines. The only common sense is real world testing and following the factory recommended OCI either oil is providing nearly identical performance. That is common sense. The differences you seek are nearly immeasurable.

dave1251, dexos1 has extra engine tests that Kendall GT-1 Max has never passed. It is a big unknown for Kendall about whether it would or not pass the actual tests I listed above. Speculate all you want.
Its crazy for you
crazy2.gif
to keep referring to real engine tests as "marketing" as you do.

Who else here thinks all the tests in SN, GF-5, dexos1, 508, 229.71, etc., are all just "marketing"? I guess its a good time to learn about engine tests the engineers design & execute, and tearing apart engines to examine them for performance.

Not a lot of difference.

either oil is providing nearly identical performance

23.gif

dave1251, dexos1 has extra engine tests that Kendall GT-1 Max has never passed. It is a big unknown for Kendall about whether it would or not pass the actual tests I listed above. Speculate all you want.
Its crazy for you
crazy2.gif
to keep referring to real engine tests as "marketing" as you do.

Who else here thinks all the tests in SN, GF-5, dexos1, 508, 229.71, etc., are all just "marketing"? I guess its a good time to learn about engine tests the engineers design & execute, and tearing apart engines to examine them for performance.

I never relied on results from engine tests to select an motor oil.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
You are free to choose an oil based on how pretty the bottle it came in is. That said, you can ASSUME some oils like Amsoil SS, Ravenol DXG, maybe Schaeffers, & certainly Mobil1 AP & EP, punch above their weight class, yes, that would be reasonable enough. I don't think Kendall can get that assumption though.
Originally Posted by PimTac
What are these extra tests?
The Kendall is not dexos1 tested. Maybe you missed that. I already listed some (not all) of them above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
You are free to choose an oil based on how pretty the bottle it came in is.

If you think that, you are truly mistaken. If you think the general public has the time and energy to search and do the research on every single oil they want to choose for their vehicles!? Seriously nobody has the time to do that 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back