Kendall GT-1 Max vs PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by PimTac
What are these extra tests?

For this particular thread, dexos1.

Both oils are d1G2. They both had to pass the same battery of tests.

RazorsEdge, read my edited post above, where I can see why you might think Schaeffers is better than the basic performance specs it officially meets;;; yes, not too unreasonable.

How pretty the bottle it came in does play a role in how attractive the oil sitting on the shelf is the average non-bitoger. Marketing 101. Royal Purple has purple dye to attract folks, for example. ...
And I think Castrol gold jugs are the best looking. In fact the European (Austrian) made Castrol Edge Professional LL IV 0w20 is probably the nicest looking bottle ever.

That Kendall is not. Platinum is.

What are these extra tests?

For this particular thread, dexos1.

GT-1 Max is not. Not that I care much, I still run it in my truck. But my truck does not require dexos1. And neither does the OP's car. @paoester's opinion is that meeting that extra test could be beneficial for the OP's vehicle - marginally. Could be, could be not. @dave1251 (did I spell it correctly?) says it does not bleep matter. It could be, could be not true.

Both oils are good to go: SN+, LSPI-resistant, made by reputable companies. The d1g2 test might be - on paper - the better choice. I doubt you'll see the difference in the long term.

Per recent Lubrizol engineer podcast...

"No incidents of catastrophic LSPI have been observed using D1G2 oil."

Make certain it is D1G2.

My personal preference is Pennzoil Platinum over Kendall products.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
If you think that, you are truly mistaken.
How do you choose an oil, if not by actual engine tests and spec qualifications? Can you explain this in words? Gut feeling? OK.....worthless, but OK for some people.

Originally Posted by paoester
I don't think Kendall can get that assumption though.
Esplain why?
Kendall did not use their titanium formula when marketing a separate dexos1 oil, which begs the question: Why not just use their titanium oil for the dexos1 tests? Could it be they can't pass all the dexos1 tests? Probably true.
Really though, there is nothing you can point to in the Kendall titanium formula oil that hints at or indicates it would perform any better than commodity non-dexos1 Group3 oil. Their titanium may be responsible for some pretty good cam lobe wear results in the past, and they did very well in taxi test years ago, but nothing that indicates it excels all that much compared to any oil circa 2010.

Best to go with actual proven turbo-qualifed oil in a turbo engine like what we are talking about in this thread. Platinum wins by some unknown margin, but at least its proven to work well, and Kendal non-dex is not.

How do you choose an oil, if not by actual engine tests and spec qualifications? Can you explain this in words? Gut feeling? OK.....worthless, but OK for some people.

Esplain why?
Kendall did not use their titanium formula when marketing a separate dexos1 oil, which begs the question: Why not just use their titanium oil for the dexos1 tests? Could it be they can't pass all the dexos1 tests? Probably true.
Really though, there is nothing you can point to in the Kendall titanium formula oil that hints at or indicates it would perform any better than commodity non-dexos1 Group3 oil. Their titanium may be responsible for some pretty good cam lobe wear results in the past, and they did very well in taxi test years ago, but nothing that indicates it excels all that much compared to any oil circa 2010.

Best to go with actual proven turbo-qualifed oil in a turbo engine like what we are talking about in this thread. Platinum wins by some unknown margin, but at least its proven to work well, and Kendal non-dex is not.

There you go again SN+ is a performance mark for LPSI reduction and the creation of SN+ is because of LPSI which happens I. TDI engines.

Esplain why?

Simple

I go by what I've seen in engine tear downs and what the owners manual states as ok to use in an application.

Tests mean nothing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back