Kendall GT-1 MAX 5W30 2017 Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total miles on the Crosstrek at the time of oil change: 35,033
Miles on this OCI: 7,023

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 130
Last edited:
Probably the best Subaru results I've ever seen. Low wear. Viscosity looks perfect.
Kendall likes titanium, maybe a good thing.

Great to hear positive feedback. At $1.99 a quart I will stock up. And, since OCIs are cheap, I will change at 5K miles.
I drive the Crosstrek rather hard, and often get the RPMs up to 6k (red line is around 6.5K). The engine is so very smooth on the Kendall, no matter how hard I drive it. It's the CVT that sounds stressed.

Silicon looked a tad high. Usually that is around 15 ppm from the normal anti-foam additive.
Its not a "big" problem at 40 ppm, but I would look at how the air filter and plastic pipes (aka, the air path) are seated and sealed. Silicon can get in from sandy silica dust in the air.
I didn't see that the 1st time I looked.

$1.99 a quart for full synthetic Kendall is awesome. They are highly regarded. Its made by the old reliable Phillips 66 company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paoester
Silicon looked a tad high. Usually that is around 15 ppm from the normal anti-foam additive.
Its not a "big" problem at 40 ppm, but I would look at how the air filter and plastic pipes (aka, the air path) are seated and sealed. Silicon can get in from sandy silica dust in the air.
I didn't see that the 1st time I looked.

$1.99 a quart for full synthetic Kendall is awesome. They are highly regarded. Its made by the old reliable Phillips 66 company.

Cool, I will check out the air filter and air path.

That is very good !!
Only 5ppm iron in 7000 miles, that's under the magic 1ppm per 1000 miles line. Not often seen.

It's still has ample TBN at 2.9 and it's viscosity is still in grade.

Keep going with the Kendall

Originally Posted by Voleak
Great to hear positive feedback. At $1.99 a quart I will stock up. And, since OCIs are cheap, I will change at 5K miles.
I drive the Crosstrek rather hard, and often get the RPMs up to 6k (red line is around 6.5K). The engine is so very smooth on the Kendall, no matter how hard I drive it. It's the CVT that sounds stressed.

Where are you getting it for $2/qt? It's hard to find it below $4 and when I do, the shipping usually jacks it up closer to $5.

Nice report btw..I ran the 5w30 SB towards the end of the summer with no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IMPALA08
Doesn't Subaru of America/Canada spec 0w20 for the car

Yes.
55.gif

Originally Posted by bluesubie
Doesn't Subaru of America/Canada spec 0w20 for the car

Yes.
55.gif

Exactly, but mostly because of CAFE.

IMO, 5w-30 is even better

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
[/quote]
Where are you getting it for $2/qt? It's hard to find it below $4 and when I do, the shipping usually jacks it up closer to $5.
Nice report btw..I ran the 5w30 SB towards the end of the summer with no issues.

I bought a case of it at $1.99 per quart from the local 99Cents Only Store, several months back. The store manager ordered a case of it for me. I'm going to order two cases when the store manager is working again.

0w20 isn't necessary for the FB20 engine here, especially in California. Voleak only loses about 1 or 2 percent MPG by going from HTHS 2.7 to HTHS 3.0 and gasoline is cheap enough now it doesn't sting much.

It is "Warranty Legal" to use 5w30 as well. Subaru states in the Owner's Manual: "NOTE
Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects
fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity
provide better fuel economy. However,
in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is
required to properly lubricate the engine."
--- An owner can simply claim it got warm outside, in case Subaru ever complains about the lack 0w20, which they should know not to do anyway.

And 5w30 is shown on the allowed viscosity chart.
Does anybody know why Subaru has the weird separate "Oil Filter Change" dash light separated from the Oil Change one?
Never seen that. Usually you just do oil & filter together. Or filter every other time, but looks like Subaru says every 6,000 miles or 6 months oil & filter both.

SubaruCrosstrek2017.jpg

SubaruCrosstrek2017oilfilter.jpg

I bought a case of it at $1.99 per quart from the local 99Cents Only Store, several months back. The store manager ordered a case of it for me. I'm going to order two cases when the store manager is working again.

Wow.. what a hook up! That's a smokin deal, not even shipping charges! ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Doesn't Subaru spec 0w20 for the car

Yes, 0W20 is the spec, but I feel that Kendall 5W30 provides a noticeable reduction in noise and vibration from the engine. I went back and looked at my fuel economy history, and found zero difference in MPGs running 0W20 compared to 5W30. So, while I am not loosing any fuel economy at all, I am gaining a lot in terms of smoothness from the motor.

The 1% or so loss in fuel economy (0w20 to 5w30) is not enough to show up visibly in variable MPG measurements you do on a log. It is there all time though.
There is a reason why Subaru specs 0w20, for better CAFE MPG results. If gas was $5 per gallon, people might start caring as they did in the summer of 2008 when all of a sudden many folks panicked and became hypermilers!

If VW allowed anything other than VW 508 0w-20, I'd probably use 5w30 in warm weather, and 0w20 when cold outside.
They don't give the vague, wiggle-room Owner's Manual language that Kia-Hyundai-Subaru does though. The VW Warranty People could complain and deny me.

What was the point of a UOA then? You just got good results at 7k miles so you are going to shorten it for no reason? You paid for data showing you are good at 7k and then you aren't using that data at all.

Where is the logic in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back