K&N with 113,XXX miles

Changed out this K&N filter on my brothers 2016 Ram 1500 Hemi. Doubt it was ever cleaned properly, when asked how it was cleaned the reply was I blew it out with the air compressor. All I could do was laugh, I said just change it as you've probably compromised the filter media by blowing it out. I put a new Mopar OE filter back in.
113,XXX miles on it. Also replaced the spark plugs today with OE NGK plugs.

All I can say is this poor truck
crazy2.gif

[Linked Image]

I've never understood these reusable things, they have a lower filtering efficiency and the potential to leave oil grime on MAF sensors, and buying the proper cleaning kit and spending the time to clean seems more expensive than just pulling out an old disposable and popping in a new one. Then you get the problem with people that never properly clean them like this.

Just because they last forever, doesn't mean they shouldn't be cleaned properly. I believe the boxes include a maintenance schedule.

It was probably filtering better than when new. When they are clean, it's just porous gauze and all the tiny stuff flows through it.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
It was probably filtering better than when new. ...
Yes, unless he blew even bigger holes in the gauze with the compressed air.

Does that truck venture off-road a lot? I've run air filters farther than that, and they didn't look nearly that ugly. Current filter at ~69k looks nearly new.

The only time I have used a K&N air filter is on my boat. Boats generally do not come with any air cleaner, but they have a flame arrester . K&N makes a few marine filters that combine a flame arrestor as well.

Originally Posted by CR94
Reddy45 said:
I've run air filters farther than that, and they didn't look nearly that ugly. Current filter at ~69k looks nearly new.

Sounds like your filters aren't doing anything ! At least the K&N is catching dirt.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
It was probably filtering better than when new. ...
Yes, unless he blew even bigger holes in the gauze with the compressed air.

Does that truck venture off-road a lot? I've run air filters farther than that, and they didn't look nearly that ugly. Current filter at ~69k looks nearly new.

Nope, no off-roading. Mainly a commuting vehicle, work, kids sports, tow/haul less than 5%, seasonally putting boat in/out of water, etc.

Ouch. Hard to expect much from something when folks don't follow the v. basic instructions. Clean/re-oil every 50K miles. Simple. Happily using these for years with no drama.

I used a K&N air filter on a pickup; an actual, working farm pickup. That filter loaded so badly it choked the engine to where I couldn't even get up to highway speed, and it only took 10%(?) that many miles.

I'd say the filter in the OP must not be that bad! :)

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
... I'd say the filter in the OP must not be that bad! :)
The fact that it caught a lot of big junk in its particular environment does not prove it didn't let through a lot of small abrasive particles that better media would've blocked.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
... I'd say the filter in the OP must not be that bad! :)
The fact that it caught a lot of big junk in its particular environment does not prove it didn't let through a lot of small abrasive particles that better media would've blocked.

Yup, or that it didn't catch the small abrasive particles. You're absolutely right we cannot prove what we don't know either way.

You both are built too low. The fast ones go right over your head!

(That's Foghorn Leghorn, if you're confused)

Back