asasa11

K&N as for Trax MAF?

Messages
2,519
Location
Suffolk County, NY
Thread starter
I've been doing some reading over at the Chevy Trax forums, and said that they have had bad experiences with the oil from the K&N filters tripping CELs related to MAFs on their Trax engines. Anyone have any experience or explanations on why this would be? I kinda want to get one, but not if it's gonna give me headaches. I've had them for all of my cars since I can remember. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Messages
4,621
Location
Fort Worth, Texas
The poor filtration alone should be enough reason not to use them. The only reason it would contaminate the MAF is because over oiling of the filter media. I worked at a speed shop for 15 years, K&N filters were a BIG seller but the fine dirt I found post filter during a service/recharge in the intake tract is unacceptable. I saw more than a few Diesel truck engines get ruined from "dusting", Though they were usually worked in the oil fields of West Texas. K&N wouldn't stand behind their product.
 
Messages
947
Location
Suomi
Originally Posted by clinebarger
The poor filtration alone should be enough reason not to use them. The only reason it would contaminate the MAF is because over oiling of the filter media. I worked at a speed shop for 15 years, K&N filters were a BIG seller but the fine dirt I found post filter during a service/recharge in the intake tract is unacceptable. I saw more than a few Diesel truck engines get ruined from "dusting", Though they were usually worked in the oil fields of West Texas. K&N wouldn't stand behind their product.
Wounder why my engine havent "blow up" from using K&N?
 
Messages
947
Location
Suomi
Originally Posted by hardcore302
I've been doing some reading over at the Chevy Trax forums, and said that they have had bad experiences with the oil from the K&N filters tripping CELs related to MAFs on their Trax engines. Anyone have any experience or explanations on why this would be? I kinda want to get one, but not if it's gonna give me headaches. I've had them for all of my cars since I can remember. Thanks!
Thats the peapol that cant use them and do not follow instructions. And then they blame the filters. Been using K&N filters without any issues.
 
Messages
12,782
Location
ROCHESTER, NY
I'm not saying that free flow air filters don't have their place however, I have used K&N air filters or the like in several vehicles. I once had them in 3 vehicles at the same time. I have never noticed a single solitary benefit from them. Not in terms of extra speed; seat of the pants or measurable performance, nor in fuel economy...EVER! In any engine! EVER! Not a single thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Messages
12,488
Location
Kendall, FL
Never had a problem using K&N for the 30+ years I've been using them. No poor uoa numbers or fouled MAS. And on the two modified vehicles that used them, the dyno numbers did, in fact show an increase in power. On a DD, the less landfill waste, the better IMO. To each their own. The Hyundai in my signature had one for 100K miles.
 
Messages
10,425
Location
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by clinebarger
The poor filtration alone should be enough reason not to use them. The only reason it would contaminate the MAF is because over oiling of the filter media. I worked at a speed shop for 15 years, K&N filters were a BIG seller but the fine dirt I found post filter during a service/recharge in the intake tract is unacceptable. I saw more than a few Diesel truck engines get ruined from "dusting", Though they were usually worked in the oil fields of West Texas. K&N wouldn't stand behind their product.
Wounder why my engine havent "blow up" from using K&N?
There's a little less dust in Suomi (Finland?) then there is in the (near desert) conditions in West Texas!
 
Messages
622
Location
Richmond, VA area
They are fine. What % of those failed MAFs were actually just...failed MAFs? I've run them in lots of vehicles with no drama. My used oil analyses always come back excellent with no indication of poor air filtration. Here is my dirt K&N after ~40K miles and the intake house - I wiped it out with a paper towel...clean. Plenty of videos you can watch on YouTube that show that it's nearly impossible to have a problem with a MAF from over-oiling (search YouTube for "K&N MAF".

K&N dirty.jpg


inlet pipe.jpg


clean paper towel.jpg
 
Messages
820
Location
Upper midwest
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by clinebarger
The poor filtration alone should be enough reason not to use them. The only reason it would contaminate the MAF is because over oiling of the filter media. I worked at a speed shop for 15 years, K&N filters were a BIG seller but the fine dirt I found post filter during a service/recharge in the intake tract is unacceptable. I saw more than a few Diesel truck engines get ruined from "dusting", Though they were usually worked in the oil fields of West Texas. K&N wouldn't stand behind their product.
Wounder why my engine havent "blow up" from using K&N?
It won't blow up, it is just "more worn out" from "dusting". I used a K&N for 4 months on a daily in the burbs of a large city, so no dirt roads. I added lite oil in my intake track to catch any dust, and sure as smit, fine dirt where I put the oil. That K&N went in the trash. I cleaned and ran the oiled intake area again and nothing after a year. I now just change out to new filters more often to keep the flow rate up and call it a day. That was 30 years ago they may make them better now?
 
Messages
820
Location
Upper midwest
Originally Posted by TiGeo
They are fine. What % of those failed MAFs were actually just...failed MAFs? I've run them in lots of vehicles with no drama. My used oil analyses always come back excellent with no indication of poor air filtration. Here is my dirt K&N after ~40K miles and the intake house - I wiped it out with a paper towel...clean. Plenty of videos you can watch on YouTube that show that it's nearly impossible to have a problem with a MAF from over-oiling (search YouTube for "K&N MAF".
Add some sticky oil to the intake and do another 20,000 miles.
 
Messages
622
Location
Richmond, VA area
Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by TiGeo
They are fine. What % of those failed MAFs were actually just...failed MAFs? I've run them in lots of vehicles with no drama. My used oil analyses always come back excellent with no indication of poor air filtration. Here is my dirt K&N after ~40K miles and the intake house - I wiped it out with a paper towel...clean. Plenty of videos you can watch on YouTube that show that it's nearly impossible to have a problem with a MAF from over-oiling (search YouTube for "K&N MAF".
Add some sticky oil to the intake and do another 20,000 miles.
No thanks, I'm good. Car runs great, analysis look ok. My current intake shown....so really what's the point? K&N filters undeniably filter less than paper filter. K&N filters undeniably flow better than paper filters. Pick your compromise for your conditions/what you do with you car. For a performance car, I'll take the flow at the expense of a slight drop in filtration. Others won't. Done.

engine bay.jpg
 
Last edited:
Messages
622
Location
Richmond, VA area
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Why limit to K&N oiled Cotton Gauze and factory paper filters? There are dry filter alternatives also. In fact K&N owns AEM Dryflow, so you can get 98-99% filtering efficiency while still have decent flow, that sits between the oiled gauze and paper filters. [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Aem Dryflow bruteforce 21-203BF-OS and 1-4000 pre-filter by thisistan, on Flickr
Void warranty is a bit extreme..hahahaahaha. Where did you get that sticker?
 
Last edited:
Messages
3,075
Location
Parts Unknown
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Why limit to K&N oiled Cotton Gauze and factory paper filters? There are dry filter alternatives also. In fact K&N owns AEM Dryflow, so you can get 98-99% filtering efficiency while still have decent flow, that sits between the oiled gauze and paper filters. [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Aem Dryflow bruteforce 21-203BF-OS and 1-4000 pre-filter by thisistan, on Flickr
Void warranty is a bit extreme..hahahaahaha. Where did you get that sticker?
The dealership put that sticker on at the first service, since I bought pre-paid. VW doesn't want to replace fluid level sensors due to Rain-X fluid
 
Messages
622
Location
Richmond, VA area
HAAHAHAHHA - that's hilarious! Yes, the Rain-X stuff and VW level sensors don't play well together. I don't use it. I like the concentrates that I mix up myself - been using Kristall Klar from Nextzett.
 
Messages
886
Location
California
Duramax ISO 5011 Test - https://bit.ly/3g2X4ys
"The ISO5011 test is the gold standard in air filter testing. It's used by every major vehicle, engine and filter company in the World to design and rate their air filters."

The filters tested to ISO5011 were (listed in order of efficiency result from best to worst):
  1. AC Delco A1618C (Genuine part, paper)
  2. Baldwin PA4134 (Aftermarket, paper)
  3. Unbranded/generic (Aftermarket, paper)
  4. AFE 73-10062 (Aftermarket, 7-layer oiled synthetic/cotton)
  5. WIX 46678 (Aftermarket, paper)
  6. Purolator A45314 (Aftermarket, 'high flow fibre') - Discontinued product
  7. Amsoil TS123 (Aftermarket, 'washable fibre') - Discontinued product
  8. Unifilter UAA-103 (Aftermarket, multi-layer oiled foam)
  9. K&N 33-2135 (Aftermarket, oiled cotton)

Ed
 
Top