K&N Air Filter, are they worth x-tra money or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for real good air filter, is the K&N Air Filters any good and are they worth the extra money? Would you recommend any other brands that would be as good or better? Wouldn't changing a paper air filter with a fresh new one be better than recharging the same K&N Air Filter over and over?
Going with a real good air filter, how often should you change or recharge your air filter? Thankyou for your opinions and advise!

I would think that the only reason for useing a K&N would be for performance. They don't really filter any better than paper, actually there is alot of discussion on whether or not they filter as good as paper. As far as the performance issue goes. Unless you are getting rid of the original airbox and going with a cold air intake or some sort of ram air set-up that uses a bigger filter/ better flowing airbox, I don't think you will see alot of performace from a drop in K&N replacement filter. JMO

Judd has said it all IMO.

Not worth the hassle and cost and you will probably see poorer results in oil analysis and/or any change.

K/N offers a foam "sock" that fits over the filter when going with an open box. So far the "residue" issue addressed by some by the MAF is eliminated. I've seen an improvement since I removed the OEM box. Of course I've also noticed a drop in mileage because I like the difference "off the line". However, now with gas going up I'll have to take off the "lead shoe" and put back on sneakers.

Keith
99 Expy 5.4L

I didn't notice anything when I had one in my car...well, $40 less in my wallet.

pat.gif
That $40 could have gone to the cold air intake I now have...

I purchased the drop-in type for both my vehicles.Took them out after finding too manys reports on Si numbers.Wasn't worth the chance of ruining my engines for a 2-3 HP gain that I didn't feel at all.Then K&N wants you to add a pre-wrap under dusty conditions...where's the increased flow now
pat.gif

[ February 14, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Greaser ]

baldwin,makes an excellent air filter (non- oiled)i tossed my k&n's away dirtied up my maf sensor and i never reoiled them...i just used the k&n's out of the box factory oiled..did the same thing in both of my vehicles...wix is excellent too

They're good for a few lb/min.

Here's a test I ran.

The blue curve is for a larger airbox + MAF on my car, the pink curve is for a stock airbox + K&N, and the red curve is for the larger airbox + paper.

All filters were CLEAN when tested.

-

[ February 15, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

I've had good results running K&N in Race cars and my own vehicles. Until racing them I refused to use them in the regular cars.

Silicon counts in testing that show higher levels with K&N are usually the result of ripping the media or not reoiling properly.

The Key is proper cleaning and reservicing the media.

Interesting graph, Metroplex. Your graph confirms my real world results with a K&N. After installing one on my carbed Bronco, I had to re-adjust the idle mixture screws because of the increased air flow. I can feel a difference in the lower (500-2500 RPM) ranges, and your chart bears this out. (After all, this RPM range is where a street vehicle accelerates.) The truck just seems to run better with the K&N, and I get better mileage.

Like Terry says, proper maintenence is the key to getting good service with these filters.

TLR: Yep! The engine is a 2000 Ford 4.6L SOHC V8 (Romeo) in a 2000 Crown Vic.

The larger airbox is a Mercury Marauder airbox w/ an 80mm MAF from a 1998 Ford F-150.

The stock airbox is the stock airbox w/ the stock 70mm MAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back