Just spent over an hour poring over labels at walmart...

Why bothering with approvals in the first place if you are using RedLine?
I don't. Even though the Red Line meets or exceeds the 504/507 specification it isn't licensed. I want what I consider the best available oil in the vehicles I service. 504/507 hits that sweet spot in my preferences. I walk the extra mile for the vehicles that I own and drive and that's the Ravenol for the wagon and Red Line for my hatchback. If I get that new Ram pickup any time soon it is getting Red Line. This is all personal preference.

I don't. Even though the Red Line meets or exceeds the 504/507 specification it isn't licensed. I want what I consider the best available oil in the vehicles I service. 504/507 hits that sweet spot in my preferences. I walk the extra mile for the vehicles that I own and drive and that's the Ravenol for the wagon and Red Line for my hatchback. If I get that new Ram pickup any time soon it is getting Red Line. This is all personal preference.
So if RedLIne exceeds VW504.00/507.00 why is not approved? I like that "best" thing, but it is not approved (approved is correct word, not licensed. VW does not issue license). One would think P66 can afford 3,200 euros for approval.

So the GTL is considered 100% synthetic in Canada? EH?

Yep, also in this screen shot from the American website.

25B71127-DB4A-4267-B175-82CDF628F53F.png

Isn't GTL considered 100% synthetic in the US as well?

What is the definition of "100% synthetic" anyway?
Curious if Canada had the same style labeling requirements as Germany in labeling synthetic versus GTL and group III oils. I believe that most experts consider the GTL as separate than III and not IV. Just curious.

So if RedLIne exceeds VW504.00/507.00 why is not approved? I like that "best" thing, but it is not approved (approved is correct word, not licensed. VW does not issue license). One would think P66 can afford 3,200 euros for approval.

I think that it doesn't want the constraints that come with approval from a manufacturer. They want to build a better mousetrap and they are not the alone in this endeavor. One needs only to see how many boutique oils are on the market to see that. Many of the major oil companies have over the years reverted to the "suitable" descriptor utilized by the boutiques on many of their products. When the Chrysler MS-6395 specification first came out it was near impossible to find approved oils. Nearly all of them said "suitable". Even now it is a game of semantics on all the labeling between approved and suitable for many motor oils. I like and buy the Red Line , in my reckoning for my applications they have indeed built a better mousetrap. My prejudice is in believing majority PAO/Ester content is superior in almost every measurable or quantifiable attribute compared to the mass market quasi synthetics easily available at any retailer. I read and see the same VOA/UOA info along with personal anecdotes this board produces. Everyone has an agenda it seems to justify what they use and or like. The most vocal being those that are most interested in saving money. I have that interest also but only if I believe it is a superior product. That is where objectivity versus subjectivity come into play. If not for that intersection, this board would disappear.

Right now they’d have to borrow 3,200euros

I think that it doesn't want the constraints that come with approval from a manufacturer. They want to build a better mousetrap and they are not the alone in this endeavor. One needs only to see how many boutique oils are on the market to see that. Many of the major oil companies have over the years reverted to the "suitable" descriptor utilized by the boutiques on many of their products. When the Chrysler MS-6395 specification first came out it was near impossible to find approved oils. Nearly all of them said "suitable". Even now it is a game of semantics on all the labeling between approved and suitable for many motor oils. I like and buy the Red Line , in my reckoning for my applications they have indeed built a better mousetrap. My prejudice is in believing majority PAO/Ester content is superior in almost every measurable or quantifiable attribute compared to the mass market quasi synthetics easily available at any retailer. I read and see the same VOA/UOA info along with personal anecdotes this board produces. Everyone has an agenda it seems to justify what they use and or like. The most vocal being those that are most interested in saving money. I have that interest also but only if I believe it is a superior product. That is where objectivity versus subjectivity come into play. If not for that intersection, this board would disappear.
You do know that approval specifications are minimum requirements? So, if Redline exceeds those requirements that means it can be approved, OR there is a catch when it comes to certain aspects of performance? Oxidation? Effects on emission equipment? We do not know as RedLine does not want to get approval for oil that they claim exceeds those requirements.
I am not sure this has to do anything with saving nor price is indicator of quality. If that is the case that means that Mobil1 ESP 5W30 or Mobil1 ESP 0W30 X1 are same quality as RedLine, just approved.
Now, one thing is to believe in that product. I use their driveline fluids. But to claim they are best? How? There are other PAO and Ester oils. And in the end of the day, again, final product is what matters.
As long as RedLine and other boutique oil manufacturers claim performance but do not get approval, they are hiding something. It is simple as that.

Yeah right. It isn't as if the majors are being transparent either. What are they hiding? When I do research online their seems to more available data available from Ravenol and Red Line than any of the majors. I think Red Line makes the best boutique product's. I think the ingredients contained in Ravenol's approved oils are what is claimed on the label. This is solely my personal opinion. If a person had unlimited funds they could endeavor to do benchmark testing of every brand on the market. I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Yeah right. It isn't as if the majors are being transparent either. What are they hiding? When I do research online their seems to more available data available from Ravenol and Red Line than any of the majors. I think Red Line makes the best boutique product's. I think the ingredients contained in Ravenol's approved oils are what is claimed on the label. This is solely my personal opinion. If a person had unlimited funds they could endeavor to do benchmark testing of every brand on the market. I don't see this happening anytime soon.
So, company that gets approval from VW (for example), is less transparent than company that just claims that their oil is superior?
Redline claims that their W30 oils meet API SN for example, although ZDDP levels in oil are so high that that is not possible. But, in Redline world, everything is possible. At the same time, Castrol and Pennzoil clearly state that their W30 oils are API SL due to to ZDDP levels etc.

You need to get a grip on reality. I tried to give you a hint but you just don't get it.

The last thing your choice of vehicles needs, is extra effort towards special oil.

It's like shooting yourself in the foot then thinking the solution is sunglasses if they keep you from seeing your shot foot. It's ridiculous.

So, company that gets approval from VW (for example), is less transparent than company that just claims that their oil is superior?
Redline claims that their W30 oils meet API SN for example, although ZDDP levels in oil are so high that that is not possible. But, in Redline world, everything is possible. At the same time, Castrol and Pennzoil clearly state that their W30 oils are API SL due to to ZDDP levels etc.

Correct me on this if needed... It's the phosphorus level that is keeping Redline from meeting specs. Zinc is not defined with an upper limit. Zinc gets the bad rap, but phosphorus is the limiting factor.

You need to get a grip on reality. I tried to give you a hint but you just don't get it.

The last thing your choice of vehicles needs, is extra effort towards special oil.

It's like shooting yourself in the foot then thinking the solution is sunglasses if they keep you from seeing your shot foot. It's ridiculous.

Dude, I'm not hassling you over your choices. I don't care what you use. Why the hostility in what I may choose?

I would have to go back and look but doesn't Red Line publish their ZDDP levels? I know they have in the past. I use the Euro for my VW to stay between the ditches.

I would have to go back and look but doesn't Red Line publish their ZDDP levels? I know they have in the past. I use the Euro for my VW to stay between the ditches.
Yes it does, it is in the levels of Castrol Edge 0W40, Mobil1 0W40. Mobil1 is actually much more transparent than Redline about what goes into their oils, and approved.
But levels are far above API SN limits for W30 oils, yet Redline claims that meets and exceeds API SN.

Correct me on this if needed... It's the phosphorus level that is keeping Redline from meeting specs. Zinc is not defined with an upper limit. Zinc gets the bad rap, but phosphorus is the limiting factor.
You mean API SN? I think ZDDP is limited at 800 or 900ppm. Redline 5W30 Performance is almost 1,200ppm.

I've had flat tappet motors over the years with aggressive cams and valve springs. They had to have plenty of ZDDP to survive, sometimes approaching 2000 ppm. In the modern vehicles that I service that have long tricky timing chain paths I am weighing using higher than recommended ZDDP for their known wear issues. What cost's more to replace/repair. Timing chains/guides or catalytic converter? I need to do that research.

Back