Just how bad are Chinese wheel bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ my tire/parts store had tie rod ends from three different countries next to each other, all the same brand.

Think the countiries were USA, Turkey, and China. No rhyme or reason.

China can make good or bad stuff, it really depends. If it's got the backing of a brand name like Timken, SKF, then I would have no problems with using it. Just no white box generic stuff. These days, stuff can be made anywhere so I go by the brand rather than where it's made. It's an outdated concept to judge quality by in today's global market.

I've run Chinese rotors in various cars for years. Very cheap and hold up better than you'd expect. Typically have a smooth finish and stop well but they tend to be a tad soft and go below spec after a couple years so they need replaced with the next set of pads. For the price big deal...bearings though I do try to cross over to timken as much as possible not willing to experiment there. Bearings are usually for something that if it goes other parts will suffer damage. Don't feel like replacing a rear end because my carrier bearing blew up.

Originally Posted By: nobb
China can make good or bad stuff, it really depends. If it's got the backing of a brand name like Timken, SKF, then I would have no problems with using it. Just no white box generic stuff. These days, stuff can be made anywhere so I go by the brand rather than where it's made. It's an outdated concept to judge quality by in today's global market.

Unless they are airbag inflators made in Mexico.
smile.gif

I think the big difference is how much oversight they have in the process. If they're a 100% Chinese owned company (and they're possibly contracting out to Chinese companies) I would be less trusting, that would be like the "Ling Long tires" of the world.

Now if they're a U.S. company making products in China the involvement can range from just putting their name on contracted products, to actually being involved in the manufacturing of the products in their own factories. Some good tire companies do this like Pirelli. In this case it's probably almost as good as made in U.S.A. just different workforce, lower wages and higher profits (as long as corners aren't being cut). The American workforce suffers though.

I wouldn't have a problem using a made in China product if I knew they had substantial involvement in it and weren't just slapping their name on inferior product. I appreciate it when I order parts like belts and pulleys and get made in U.S.A, Canada or Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back