just bought a lift!

So it was a bit of a splurge but I just purchased an older 2 post VBM (Challenger) lift. I'd been watching craigslist and facebook marketplace for a while and finally found one for about 50% of a new imported lift.

I considered a new imported lift but went and looked at one that local guy sells. I didn't like the fact that the lock mechanism was buried under/behind the carriage and not visible to the eye. So I decided I'd rather go with an older USA built lift than an import.

Owner was selling because he had to move his shop and the old lift wouldn't fit under the ceiling in his new shop. Unfortunately it was all tore down and stored in his new location soI couldn't see it run. A bit of a risk on my part... I guess I will find out when I get it installed in the next couple weeks.

banana2.gif

Originally Posted by agarb
Owner was selling because he had to move his shop and the old lift wouldn't fit under the ceiling in his new shop. Unfortunately it was all tore down and stored in his new location soI couldn't see it run. A bit of a risk on my part... I guess I will find out when I get it installed in the next couple weeks.
I hope it's not worn out. Getting used USA stuff for cheap is nice, but it sucks when it turns out to be worn or or needing repairs immediately.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher
What's the difference between an Imported vs USA made lift?

Depending on who you listen to the steel quality and overall quality is lower in a Chinese made lift. The price for an imported lift is also considerably less. Some of us are just tired of Chinese products. Might be touching on forbidden politics here but our money goes to a country that is not our friend.

agarb, Coincidentally I also bought a used Challenger 2 post lift last year. I'd wanted a lift for a long time but wasn't real sure I wanted to become a professional shade tree mechanic with my own lift, thinking I have better uses for my time than working on cars all the time. It's worked out real well and makes brake work and work in general a lot easier and quicker. Also, a small thing, I rarely rotated tires before and now I do, because it's so fast and easy having all 4 off the ground. And so far, friends haven't become nuisances wanting to come over and use it.

I had planned on installing a used lift myself but I ran across a good deal that included a professional installation. On one hand I was very happy to have it installed because it would have been a lot of work for me to to get it all set up. On the other hand the professional installation wasn't that great and I had to reconnect one of the equalizing cables after it fell off because they connected it wrong. They did get the posts installed the right distance apart and plumb, which is the main thing. Very happy with the lift and no buyer's remorse.

Originally Posted by Langanobob

Depending on who you listen to the steel quality and overall quality is lower in a Chinese made lift. The price for an imported lift is also considerably less. Some of us are just tired of Chinese products. Might be touching on forbidden politics here but our money goes to a country that is not our friend.

Isn't Bend Pak made in China?

Unfortunately it was all tore down and stored in his new location soI couldn't see it run. A bit of a risk on my part... I guess I will find out when I get it installed in the next couple weeks.

Might have conveniently been sold that way on purpose. Most people list a lift for sale BEFORE taking it down so it can be tested. Would you buy a used car without test driving it? Or at least hearing the engine run. Tell me you didn't pay more than $200 or $300 for it.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Unfortunately it was all tore down and stored in his new location soI couldn't see it run. A bit of a risk on my part... I guess I will find out when I get it installed in the next couple weeks.

Might have conveniently been sold that way on purpose. Most people list a lift for sale BEFORE taking it down so it can be tested. Would you buy a used car without test driving it? Or at least hearing the engine run. Tell me you didn't pay more than $200 or $300 for it.

Comments like this are what drives legitimate posters away from here.

I researched before buying my lift and I believe Bendpak are made in China, at least the newer ones. The only major manufacturer newer lifts that seem to still be Made in USA are Rotary and Mohawk and new prices are out of reach for most hobbyists. Snapon now owns Challenger and I think the newer Challenger lift labels now read something like "Assembled in USA from Global Components" so even Snapon is drinking the Made in China Koolaid.

[/quote]

Last edited:

Buying something mechanical without seeing it operating is a risk. While the post may be a bit "snarky" it is the truth.

I've been wanting a lift for some time now and will probably go with a portable one just because.

They now make portable 1 post lifts that look pretty neat and take up less space.

Having the space for a lift is the 1st obstacle
wink.gif

Last edited:

Yep, but they are solidly made. They are designed in California(near Santa Barbara or Ventura). They seem to be a popular choice for many shops.

Dover owns Rotary, or at least they did.

It's a cruel world out there Opie, some people take advantage of the uninformed. You rather he come back a week later posting, "The pump in the lift I just bought doesn't work and a new one is $1000, what do I do now?"

It's a cruel world out there Opie, some people take advantage of the uninformed. You rather he come back a week later posting, "The pump in the lift I just bought doesn't work and a new one is $1000, what do I do now?"

If the OP (who is new here, only has a few posts and likely thought he was in the midst of intelligent grown men) had asked for advice on a lift he was considering, your comment might have some value. He already purchased the lift so there is no constructive purpose in being negative about it. I only clicked on 3 threads here today and each one had already deteriorated into a few losers being critical of the original poster and his question or observation - almost a mob mentality. If the original Bob, RIP, could see what's happened to his forum he would be very disappointed.

If the OP (who is new here, only has a few posts and likely thought he was in the midst of intelligent grown men) had asked for advice on a lift he was considering, your comment might have some value. He already purchased the lift so there is no constructive purpose in being negative about it. I only clicked on 3 threads here today and each one had already deteriorated into a few losers being critical of the original poster and his question or observation - almost a mob mentality. If the original Bob, RIP, could see what's happened to his forum he would be very disappointed.

That happens half the time I start a topic here too. You need to have a thick skin and let it roll off your back. It's just the anonymity of the internet. Happens on all internet forums. Check out the dollhouse sites. People there are brutal.

Where it's made

It's not difficult & usually not very expensive to repair a 2-post lift. I highly recommend checking the Wear/Slide Blocks on both carriages or just replacing them while the lift is laid down.

Hopefully the Lift cylinders are dry?

Watch some videos on adjusting the equalization cables, Keeping them adjusted prolongs slide block life a lot.

Originally Posted by nthach

Yep, but they are solidly made. They are designed in California(near Santa Barbara or Ventura). They seem to be a popular choice for many shops.

Dover owns Rotary, or at least they did.

A guy I work with has a 2 post Forward lift which is made by Rotary.

He didn't want the Bend Pak lift because the dealer he talked to warned him they had some issues with them bending/warping etc.

I've also heard good things about Atlas lifts.

Back