just bought a lift!

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by michaelluscher
What's the difference between an Imported vs USA made lift?

Where it's made

It's quality posting like this that reminds me why I stick around on this forum
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by atikovi

Isn't Bend Pak made in China?

Yep, but they are solidly made. They are designed in California(near Santa Barbara or Ventura). They seem to be a popular choice for many shops.

Dover owns Rotary, or at least they did.

A guy I work with has a 2 post Forward lift which is made by Rotary.

He didn't want the Bend Pak lift because the dealer he talked to warned him they had some issues with them bending/warping etc.

I've also heard good things about Atlas lifts.

Both Forward & Rotary are owned by Dover. But the designs are quite a bit different between the two. Rotary being the premium USA made offering with multi-bend columns that stiffen the lift quite a bit, The flip-up built-in adapters are also a Rotary exclusive.

Of coarse Mohawk is the Gold Standard, I recently priced out a 20,000 pound Mohawk......$30,000!!! A 20,000# Rotary is $10,000 cheaper but won't fit in my shop (Height).

OP back again...

I read all the comments about the time they were posted and there were some valid concerns/observations about purchasing an older lift without first seeing it operate. I had some of the same worries but took the risk. At this point it seems it worked out as I can happily report that after a weekend and several evenings, the lift is now installed and (almost) fully functional. I say almost because one of the two limit switches on the overhead shutoff bar doesn't work so I need to get a replacement ordered and installed.

Fortunately the cylinders don't leak and the pump works just fine. I lifted our minivan and let it sit on the cylinders (without the locks engaged) over dinnertime and it didn't drift down at all.

I ended up replacing all the plumbing as a couple of the tubes were crushed by the seller when he removed it from his old shop or during the transport/install. That was a bit costly because the hydraulic tubing was more expensive than expected and I also had to buy a tool to make 37 degree JIC flares instead of using compression fittings.

Now I need to add some more overhead lights in the area of the lift and pipe some compressed air to a convenient nearby location.

And then I can start the front end work that needs to be done on two of my vehicles!

For your viewing pleasure, a couple photos are attached.

--

Had to use a bit of creativity to get a 12 foot tall post through a 10x10 overhead door.

[Linked Image]

The finished installation!

[Linked Image]

I wish I would have installed one of these 15 years ago!

During Covid-19 stay-at-home orders and subsequent cancellation of my kids' sporting events, I had more time to do repairs and lots of preventative maintenance. Because it's more convienient, I'm finding I'm much more inclided to do routine fluid changes (transmission, transfer case) and tire rotations that I used to put off or neglect

The only thing I've paid to have done since installing the lift was to have a local shop replace the front subframe that was rusted through on my Mercury back in late February. This was right after I got the lift installed but didn't have the time to tackle the project.

Here's what I've used it for so far.

2007 Mercury Montego
New tie rod ends
New control arms
Transmission fluid change
Replace leaking A/C compressor and damaged condenser
Oil change
Coolant change

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
Coolant change
Oil change
Inspect underneath after kid missed a curve and ended up stuck in muddy field

2001 Saturn SC1

Replace rotted brake lines
New front pads and rotors
New rear shoes, drums, wheel cylinders
Replace leaking intake manifold gasket
Transmission fluid change
Oil change
Rotate tires
Replace engine mounts

1998 Saturn SL2

Head gasket
Oil change

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

New sway bar links
New A/C compressor

2007 GMC Envoy
Transmission fluid and transfer case fluid change

Fixed brake issue on my Dad's minivan.

Every competitor talks trash about competing brands....The guy I had install my Challenger lift was talking trash about Rotary lifts. BenkPak lifts are pretty good from the experience I've had.

Dover owns Forward & Rotary, I'd buy a BendPak before a Forward, But prefer a Rotary over a BendPak.

Back