Just another Kreen believer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I decided to try some Kreen in my 160k-mile 2007 Tahoe. The first owner (who had it the first 120k miles) took good care of the car but the second owner.. not so much. The car was burning about 1 quart of oil every 3k miles (very common with the 5.3L and no big inconvenience), but the real problem was the visible oil burning every cold start - it was pretty embarrassing. Well only 250 miles into my Kreen experience, there is no longer any smoke at startup. None. The car idles a little smoother (there wasn't much to improve on there), and my mpg is up from 14.4 to 15.5 (with no other changes). Honestly I'm a big skeptic of these "tune up in a bottle" type cleaners since I've tried so many with no changes. Kreen seems to have done some good here, and I can still smell it burning so I can only hope there's more to come.

I am tempted to try it in my 2007 E63 but that M156 engine runs so clean and has so many sensors that I can only see bad things coming of it!

Last edited:
Another kreen success story.

I have fleet trucks all GM 5.3's and 6.0 gas engines. Kreen does wonders when the mileage gets high, cleans the entire PCV system and gets the carbon off the heads, too!

Great stuff...

Yep, good stuff indeed. One of the few product that works as advertised. If the engine has no issues then no you probably will not see any significant results.

Originally Posted by cfmistry
Well I decided to try some Kreen in my 160k-mile 2007 Tahoe. The first owner (who had it the first 120k miles) took good care of the car but the second owner.. not so much. The car was burning about 1 quart of oil every 3k miles (very common with the 5.3L and no big inconvenience), but the real problem was the visible oil burning every cold start - it was pretty embarrassing. Well only 250 miles into my Kreen experience, there is no longer any smoke at startup. None. The car idles a little smoother (there wasn't much to improve on there), and my mpg is up from 14.4 to 15.5 (with no other changes). Honestly I'm a big skeptic of these "tune up in a bottle" type cleaners since I've tried so many with no changes. Kreen seems to have done some good here, and I can still smell it burning so I can only hope there's more to come.

I am tempted to try it in my 2007 E63 but that M156 engine runs so clean and has so many sensors that I can only see bad things coming of it!

Why are you withholding 'how you used it'? Now I won't be able to sleep - until you reply.....lol

Hah! Sorry about that... I put it on the oil only (1/2 qt). I've used Techron twice through the fuel system so I figure it can't be too dirty. I will put the remaining 1/2qt in the oil once the first 1000 miles passes.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
How much oil does the Tahoe hold? How thin is Kreen?

The Tahoe holds 5.7L of oil, and the Kreen is very thin (like water). Other have stated that the oil will be noticeably thinner when drained/changed.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

I have fleet trucks all GM 5.3's and 6.0 gas engines. Kreen does wonders when the mileage gets high, cleans the entire PCV system and gets the carbon off the heads, too!

Great stuff...

I wonder if this would be good in GDI engines to get carbon off the intake valves? I emailed KREEN directly about it but got no response.

Originally Posted by Propflux01

Great stuff...

I wonder if this would be good in GDI engines to get carbon off the intake valves? I emailed KREEN directly about it but got no response.

I'm sure chemically it would. But how do you get it across the intake valves in a DI engine? If it was available in a spray, that would be great! But i would not want to accidentally inhale it!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3

I'm sure chemically it would. But how do you get it across the intake valves in a DI engine? If it was available in a spray, that would be great! But i would not want to accidentally inhale it!!!

Perhaps by the use of a valve and a vacuum line (like what they used in older times for "water injection"), or a direct spray through the intake using a spray bottle of sorts.

Just passed 90 K on my GDI Jaguar XF Supercharged 3.0 V6 Pulled the Supercharger for some maintenance and repair the supercharger coupler.

Valves were nearly spotless ( was prepared to do walnut shelling to clean them up)

I use only top tier gasses and Techron every 3000 miles

The intake valves pass nothing except clean air, they get carboned up during overlap and cylinder burn (especially with VVT) I believe good gas and a bit of cleaner (any choice maybe but Techron has been my go to for years, will help.

I am not sure techron (or any gas treatment for that matter) would be good enough for a "cleanse" of badly carboned intake valves but if used regularly before carbon builds up seems to help (along with top tier gas)

Propflux, the intake would have to be hot and the kreen introduced as a vapor for even a chance of even distribution. Dry intakes are not designed for the pooling and uneven distribution of a liquid.

I'll bet jssaab drives his supercharged jag a bit, people who use the engine rarely get gunked up anymore.

Note that VVT has been mentioned as a possible reason that some makes never need intake valve cleaning and reversion happens in almost any engine at some point in its operation...

Well, it was a thought. Its for a Hyundai 2.0 GDI. I don't know how bad the valves are, I have used Techron a few times. There are no issues, was looking mostly at PM for it.

Get some CRC GDI Intake Cleaner spray and use as directed. It's minimal cleanup, but when done annually, it helps to stalls the inevitable need for a mechanic.

Last edited:
Propflux, the intake would have to be hot and the kreen introduced as a vapor for even a chance of even distribution. Dry intakes are not designed for the pooling and uneven distribution of a liquid.

That's the issue i worry about, even when i use the CRC cleaner, is intake pooling. It could pool in the intake, you go out for a drive, and when you really step on it, there is enough flow to pull a lot of the liquid into the closest cylinder to the pooled cleaner, and bam! Busted piston or connecting rod from hydrolock.

I have used the CRC intake valve cleaner in the mazda. But i only used 1/2 a can, not the whole thing, for fear of pooling. After it sat an hour i went for a 10-15 mile drive, but i did not let it rev over 3k.

Last edited:
Good Advice Spaz!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Well, it was a thought. Its for a Hyundai 2.0 GDI. I don't know how bad the valves are, I have used Techron a few times. There are no issues, was looking mostly at PM for it.

Kreen is a great additive for older engines with build up issues. It really works well, the more gunked up the better as long as it is not broken mechanically.

I would question whether an engine as new as yours would need it.

Originally Posted by Trav
Yep, good stuff indeed. One of the few product that works as advertised. If the engine has no issues then no you probably will not see any significant results.

That's good to know both it works but I guess if we stay on top of care/maintenance then we won't need it either. What would this do best for? Stuck rings, clogged screens, etc? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back