Jumping Ship To Castrol Magnatec ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought QSUD 5W30 was a great value when WM did a $17 per 5 qrt. jug roll back ... *Now they have Castrol Magnatec 5W30 on sale for $16 per 5 qrt. jug . A lot of folks appear pleased with the UOA's Magnatec turns out for a 5K mile OCI which perhaps even surpasses QSUD 5W30 ... My Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI non - turbo may not have the best rod bearings , so perhaps there is an advantage to be gained with Magnatec 5W30 and 5K mile OCI's for mixed , average driving conditions ?

According to past comments, full-syn Magnatec's best feature is it's ability to counter fuel dilution and quiet engine clatter.
Sounds like a good 5K OCI oil.

Casrtol is smart, in-that it wants to compete against QSUD and Supertech syn. Are you reading this Valvoline?..... and where's your full-syn $17 oil?
Mobil has the Super Synthetic, although hard to find because it's meant for bulk outlets like oil change shops, as it still pushes their vanilla for about $5 more in five quart jugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
According to past comments, full-syn Magnatec's best feature is it's ability to counter fuel dilution and quiet engine clatter.

Casrtol is smart, in-that it wants to compete against QSUD and Supertech syn. Are you reading this Valvoline?..... and where's your full-syn $17 oil?
Mobil has the Super Synthetic, although hard to find because it's meant for bulk outlets like oil change shops, as it still pushes their vanilla for about $5 more in five quart jugs.

I LOVE magnatec. I have experienced first hand, multiple -25F and two -30F starts outside and not plugged into a block heater. We had record cold here last winter. Cold starts with 0w20 Magnatec in these conditions were levels of magnitude quieter than QSUD, PP, and Mobil 1 (the loudest in those temps).

I am not as knowledgable as others here, but in my opinion Magnatec is a tremendous value at 19.xx per 5 quart jug and a steal at 13-15 like I've seen it in the past couple of months on sales at Amazon and elsewhere.

After my Mobile 1 rebate oil is ran I always go for the Castrol Mag and they have it for $15....and some odd cents on Amazon delivered in the 5W-20. I don't know if the sale is still on but at that price you can't go wrong on a 5 quart job. My Honda loves the 5W-20 Magnatec oil and I have about 6 jugs or more on the garage shelf right now in my "stash."

IDK what magnatec would do for rod bearings, that's all oil pressure related, I have found Magnatec a "velvety" oil but one that leaves some power and fuel mileage on the table.

I was an early adopter in the semi-synthetic form. And loved that batch of 5W30

I was non-plussed in the full syn batch that i ran back to back in a noisy Nissan truck QR25DE motor.

But, I have found that it works well as an "additive".

If you pretend its "special sauce" - priceless unicorn tears - add a bit to you favourite oil.

I'm not kidding.

A 1/2 quart should do the trick

It works extremely well with Valvoline Advanced 0W20.

There is my wife's Subaru Crosstrek (née - Impreza) UOA on here, as one data point, to demonstrate that.

I have a full-sump magnatec 5W20 extended UOA on same vehicle and conditions coming in a week, I hope.

-Ken

Valvoline has a great Synthetic and if you know where to find the deals you can save a few bucks as well.

I'll agree on the Magnatec. I still have 20jugs worth thanks to Autozone a few years ago
smile.gif

MSS5K is at Rural King also for $17 and MS5K is $12.99

Nothing wrong with all three oils. I still have some EDGE 5w20 to use up too
smile.gif

Is Magnatec honestly really that good? I've been debating on trying Edge HM on my next oil change. For some reason that oil never gets mentioned here at all (unless I've missed it?).

I've used Castrol Edge oils in my bought new by me, 197k old Honda Element. 5k OCIs for life. The K24 motor has a lot of piston slap when cold. I've never been a believer in an oil being able to quiet a motor, but it does seem like Magnatec makes our Honda quieter at overnight cold startup.

FWIW,

Scott

Magnatec gets decent reviews for the ecoboost engines and seems to be good choice based on UOA's and overall price. Some folks are even running it for 9000 mile OCI's and it's holding up. Unfortunately it's not readily available in my neck of the woods so I haven't been able to try it.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Now they have Castrol Magnatec 5W30 on sale for $16 per 5 qrt. jug . A lot of folks appear pleased with the UOA's Magnatec turns out for a 5K mile OCI which perhaps even surpasses QSUD 5W30 ...

Great deal, last time I checked the price it was around $21 or so at WM. That was a few weeks ago so hopefully they dropped the price on it here.

Originally Posted by cdlamb
I don't see Castrol Magnatech in Canada.

Is it the same as what they market as EDGE?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...synthetic-engine-oil-4-4-l-0289256p.html

https://www.castrol.com/en_ca/canad...r-engine-oil-viscosity-grades/5w-30.html

I've been having a hard time finding it in Canada as well. Some NAPA stores appear to carry it, but overall all I've only seen Edge and HM stuff on the shelves. Heck I couldn't find Magnatec while directly searching their website. I actually had to google NAPA and Castrol Magnatec. Then I had to search stores around me from their website before it showed up as available in the next town over.

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/CAS022113A?ref=MA==

Looks like there's some in one of the Saskatoon locations. Dunno if that's close to you or not though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nlife
Originally Posted by cdlamb
I don't see Castrol Magnatech in Canada.

Is it the same as what they market as EDGE?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...synthetic-engine-oil-4-4-l-0289256p.html

https://www.castrol.com/en_ca/canad...r-engine-oil-viscosity-grades/5w-30.html

I've been having a hard time finding it in Canada as well. Some NAPA stores appear to carry it, but overall all I've only seen Edge and HM stuff on the shelves. Heck I couldn't find Magnatec while directly searching their website. I actually had to google NAPA and Castrol Magnatec. Then I had to search stores around me from their website before it showed up as available in the next town over.

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/CAS022113A?ref=MA==

Looks like there's some in one of the Saskatoon locations. Dunno if that's close to you or not though.

Thanks. I see they carry it in North Battleford, & its at a sale price too. Might buy a few jugs, and try it. Have been sending oil analysis on Pennzoil Platinum, & would like to see if there is a benefit to using this oil.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
IDK what magnatec would do for rod bearings, that's all oil pressure related, I have found Magnatec a "velvety" oil but one that leaves some power and fuel mileage on the table.

I was an early adopter in the semi-synthetic form. And loved that batch of 5W30

I was non-plussed in the full syn batch that i ran back to back in a noisy Nissan truck QR25DE motor.

But, I have found that it works well as an "additive".

If you pretend its "special sauce" - priceless unicorn tears - add a bit to you favourite oil.

I'm not kidding.

A 1/2 quart should do the trick

It works extremely well with Valvoline Advanced 0W20.

There is my wife's Subaru Crosstrek (née - Impreza) UOA on here, as one data point, to demonstrate that.

I have a full-sump magnatec 5W20 extended UOA on same vehicle and conditions coming in a week, I hope.

-Ken

+1
People can add 1/2 quart and see if they can notice the benefits.

Edge should be a step up from Magnatec, I would not hesitate to swap for it, try the same thing with it. Due to some strange pricing, they cost around the same here too.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Valvoline has a great Synthetic and if you know where to find the deals you can save a few bucks as well.

Valvoline has no synthetic to compete with Magnatec, Supertech, Quaker State "everyday" pricing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

Valvoline has no synthetic to compete with Magnatec, Supertech, Quaker State "everyday" pricing.

That seems true.

16.10/5qt(5w30) plus 15%off s/s on amazon..and no you dont have to keep the s/s cancel after purchase like me. i'm sure amazon knows people will do this just to get the extra 15% off

Last edited:
I can say my beater 2.0L VW Jetta with 151k really likes the magnatec.

I've had bad lifter tick problems to the point where it was losing compression. I ran a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer for the first time in the summer fill and drained it last week. In the replacement brew I used were 1.5q of magnatec. It's purring like a kitten.

So between whatever tackifier Lucas left behind with the 1.5q of magnatec is really doing wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back