jump starter and lead-acid battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a jump starter that warns that it must be used on lead-acid batteries only. I have a Rayovac battery. Are all car batteries lead-acid? The battery has on the label: part number SL175DT. If you need additional info please let me know.

Yes that's a lead acid battery. The warning label on the battery will specifically mention the hazards of lead and acid.

While I would advise following their directions, that kind of statement is more of a "we can't possibly know all the random things out there and can only test for our target market".

In general there is no problem using a jump starter with a peak voltage that is no higher than your alternator's peak. That ensures there is no additional stress on the electrical system. This is practically never an issue with a lead acid powered jump starter pack, but if you have some generic chinese jumper make to a low price point that has too many Li-Ion cells in series, that has the potential to risk your electrical system even if you do have a lead acid battery (but for example it is not taking charge or the battery terminals are too corroded, etc so the system still sees excessive voltage).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by vicjo
I just purchased a jump starter that warns that it must be used on lead-acid batteries only. I have a Rayovac battery. Are all car batteries lead-acid? The battery has on the label: part number SL175DT. If you need additional info please let me know.

That jump pack will do just fine on your battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back