John F Kennedy, CVN 79...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! It was quite a shock to realize they're already retiring the Nimitz... until I realized it was commissioned in '75. I was on the GW, and saw the Enterprise, America, first JFK, and up through the Truman while I was in. The USS Cole was part of our battle group and was attacked during my last deployment.

Thanks for the news!

Dang, i feel old did my 3 WestPacs aboard the USS Coral Sea CV43 and the USS Ranger CV61, both gone to the scrappers, they tried saving the Ranger as a museum in the northwest but the NAVY instead sold it for a dollar to be scrapped.

Hopefully the Kennedy will have better luck than the Ford. A lot of new systems and teething pains for sure.

CVN 79.........WOW! I served aboard CVS 9 USS ESSEX in the late 60's. It was the oldest fully operational carrier on the planet.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Hopefully the Kennedy will have better luck than the Ford. A lot of new systems and teething pains for sure.

Reports are they have learned a significant amount from building and fixing the Ford. The Kennedy was cheaper to build and came ahead of schedule.

Originally Posted by dave1251
This tends to happen with new weapon systems.

In this case it's a new electromagnetic launch system instead of the steam catapults. Also the elevators were a problem and that's huge if you can't move planes and ordinance and such.

Originally Posted by Al
Carriers should go the way of Battle Ships..But they wont

I'm not sure why you say that. Carriers made battleships obsolete. They're a way to project power anywhere in the world. You don't need the permission of any government to sail them in international waters. And although you can fly the world over, it'd be a lot harder.

Originally Posted by Al

They are evolving. Imagine a carrier with 500 or so UAVs for example.

Originally Posted by Al

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Al

I like the stealth Virginia Class Fast Attack with 65 Tomahawks. Biggest bang for the buck.

Originally Posted by Al

Exactly. In a properly deployed carrier battle group it may be quite difficult to get close to the big one.

With the development of underwater drones the water can be safe even from subs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back