John Deere Model A

Will be changing the oil and filters in my dad's tractors, 1937 & 1949. The 1949 has been rebuilt. The 1937 no idea when it was rebuilt but runs strong.

Thinking about a diesel 15w 40 for the 1949.

The older one has been run on non detergent as far as I know. I see debate saying you shouldn't switch to detergent type to others who say they switched.

Thoughts?

If it has an oil filter, I would use 40 weight, which has detergents...

If it does not have an oil filter, I would use ND40, which is no detergent 40 weight....

ND40 can be had to find, Rural King has some.

40 weight detergent I have seen at NAPA...

I've owned a number of John Deere two cylinder tractors, both gas and diesel. I've rescued long abandoned tractors, rebuilt them, worked at Deere dealerships, and actually did quite a bit of farming with them. Not once did I encounter an issue using detergent oil, I had a number of friends and neighbors who had older tractors and they never had an issue switching to modern oils in tractors that got used in real farming, I believe you will experience no issues using modern oils.

The Wix/NAPA filters used to come with two rugger seals for the oil filter cap. The smaller one fits your tractor, the larger one was for the later numbered tractors such as the 4020. In my experience these seals did not require replacement all that often, but generally did if the tractor hadn't been used for some time. The old seals get very hard, I've had to use a very small chisel to get the old seal out

If you are worried about sludge, the crankcase cover is right there and easy to take off. Take a look in there and marvel at the size of the rods. I've found a few odd things down in there, ranging from rocks to coins. I've never seen any sludge in the crankcase. There could possibly be a bit in the valve cover, but I've never seen enough to worry about.

I tended to use SAE 30 diesel oil for everything, in the winter I'd use 10W. Later I tried 15W-40 but not for long. It used to cost a few cents per gallon more than straight weight, and I experienced no benefit.

The 1937 may still have babbitt rod bearings, taking the cover off would give you the opportunity to take a look at them. There is a grease point at the front top of the fan shaft, these seem to be frequently forgotten.

Good luck!

15w-40 would be a good choice for your tractors. The older one if you are switching to detergent oil may start slowly experiencing oil consumption as my Ford 9N did when I weened it off non detergent oil. You should do a couple short interval changes as some accumulated sludge may loosen up some.

Back