John Deere Low Viscosity Hygard vs.Mobil 1 synthetic ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings. I have a 2013 John Deere X500 lawn tractor with the Kawasaki Tuff Torq K72B transaxle and currently 271 hours. I have been using John Deere Low Viscosity Hygard trans oil per Deere specs. I have read a few posts here from people who substitute synthetic engine oil for Hygard, but I'm a little nervous about going that route. I do want to cut down on transaxle heat if I can do so without any negative effects on the unit. What are y'awl's thoughts on running Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF in place of Hygard? It would cost a little more, but I don't mind that. Any input you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The low viscosity hygard is pretty cheap, $3-$4 per quart where I live. If it isn't causing any problems I'd just stay with that. You have a 6, going on 7 year old mower. The low vis hygard will most likely keep it going as long as you want to keep it. Just my $0.02...

Use what JD specs. You will always know that you are using the correct stuff and you will sleep better. And do you now what the replacement cost is for those trannys?

Tuff Torq recommends the JD low vis Hygard for your k72 on their website. I personally wouldn't use ATF. Having said that, I have used Mobil1 15w50 engine oil in my 1998 K61 and it performs as new with an estimated 2,000 hours, but I've never used ATF in it.

Last edited:
The JD fluid is good stuff. I would have swapped over my tractor fleet but they say its incompatible with the org. spec type F ATF fluid..
So since they are 30+ years old I figured if it aint broke dont fix it and just use Type F.

No way would I ever put generic fluid in a JD X500, the JD fluid is not priced overly high.. and a premium product well worth using.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Use what JD specs. You will always know that you are using the correct stuff and you will sleep better. And do you now what the replacement cost is for those trannys?

Bout 1500 from what I hear.

Originally Posted by Vigilant
Originally Posted by walterjay

Bout 1500 from what I hear.
. $1,840 shipped from Mulligans Parts Company......Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back