Jeep Grand Cherokee - 3.0L CDI (Benz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there's also a catalyst called "oxi-cat" before the DPF that uses NOx to burn soot at ~250C.; and in AdBlue versions there's another catalyst after the DPF that reduces NOx to N2 using NH3 from the catalytic decomposition of urea. Bith ctalysts are poisoned by P and S. Which are significantly lower in 228.51 and 229.51 oils compared to 228.31/CJ4 oils.

Charlie

Could a DPF be retrofitted to an older diesel and be functional? (with the proper reprogramming of course)

Originally Posted By: JAG
Originally Posted By: badnews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUOhqqyu3RY&feature=player_embedded#!

The problem here here is most don't have a clue about what they are talking about.
Me being the exception :)

That regeneration burn does NOT burn off metallic additives. It just burns the soot. Sad.

And that is why they are considered a replace part at around 180,000 miles .
At least that is what I have been told

In the UK they just remove them and remap the electronics , well some do.
In the states I don't know if you could find a person that could remap the ECM

Strictly for off road use you understand

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Could a DPF be retrofitted to an older diesel and be functional? (with the proper reprogramming of course)

That's a good question, and rather forward thinking. I'd speculate that with the right modifications, it could be possible, at least on the right engine. One would have to stick to the low sulfur diesel and an appropriate oil. I would guess that a 24v 5.9L would be, at least hypothetically, more easy to retrofit than say an old early 1980s Benz diesel car engine.

A mechanic once suggested I retrofit my 1984 F-150 with EFI, since my 300 already had the oxygen sensor. Sure, it's possible, and would increase fuel economy, but it would be a massive pile of work for a comparably marginal benefit.

So I'm bringing this thread back to life...

What are people using for 229.51 approved oil these days? I am curious to know if anyone in the Toronto area knows where to buy that Mobil 1 ESP Formula M stuff at a decent price, or any 229.51 approved juice for that matter.

I'm still using Liqui-Moly, but this time I got some new stuff. This is called 5W-30 Top Tec 4200 Longlife III. You can check it out here:

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/e_3706.html

I just picked up 10 liters of this stuff, and will be using it any day now, when I get around to taking the Jeep to my local grease monkey for an oil change.

Any opinions on this stuff?

And can anyone in Toronto or Southern Ontario chime in on where they get their 229.51 approved oils?

229.51 is such a stringent specification that any approved oil should be of very high quality...as long as they it is used in the right application (i.e. not in gasoline engines outside of Europe)

Switched from M1 5w40 ESP Formula M to the M1 5w30 ESP in the '09 GL320 Bluetec last oil change to try squeeze out some extra mpg (haven't noticed a difference so far).

Switched from M1 0w40 to M1 5w40 ESP Formula M about 50k miles ago in the '05 e320 cdi (now at 150k), and immediately noticed a jump in fuel economy of 0.5-2.0 mpg, depending on driving conditions. Also went from zero oil consumption on 0w40 to having to add one quart towards the end of each oil change on the 5w40 FM (7.5k-10k OCI's).

Picked up a bunch of both ESP Mobil 1 oils (5w30 & 5w40) at Pep Boys during their "black friday" sale. Don't think that helps you out, though.

My 2005 E320 CDI has always used the recommended Mobil1 from the dealer, recent change of oil pan due to damage from road debris revealed "the cleanest crankcase we have ever seen" from the techs, after 112,000 miles. I will continue to use this. Other oils that meet the spec 229.51 would no doubt be good as well.available at my dealer or Pep Boys, no where else in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back