Jed Clampett's OMC outdrive upside down?

I saw this recently, looks like my old OMC, except mine was installed a little differently. :unsure: Was this so it could be trailered or something? Mine did tilt, had those funny exposed "fingers" instead of a u-joint.
Jed's OMC 2.jpg
Jed's OMC.jpg

It's mounted that way so the boat can be very close to the ground. If it were a proper boat on a trailer, the actor standing inside the boat would be much higher up and this scene where he interacts with people outside would not work as well.

Kind of looks like the old Stringer drives, but mounted upside down. If you were able to lower this one as shown, it would be facing the wrong direction for the boat. Being its the Beverly Hillbillies, its like this on purpose.

As Jed would say.... I been meaning to have a long talk with that boy..............:)

I think that was Johnson/Evinrude's "Everglades" motor that they were experimenting with back in the day, which was able to run in "fan boat mode" like you see there.

I’m going to guess that this leg rotates along the longitude of the boat to get into the working position. Shooting episodes of a weekly series has to be fast. Beverly Hillbillies did not spend much money on props. ( don’t mind the pun). They probably asked the film crew if someone had a boat and could they bring it on Thursday. Meanwhile the search is on to see if this motor existed. The series was filmed from 1962 - 1971. That might help.

Last edited:
There is a chicken dinner for anyone who can identify an early stern drive that rotated into position, rather than pivoted down into position. Everything was experimental in 1962.
I found this link and pic. certainly looks interesting.
1705585939327.jpg

You win the internet prize today! I too thought it a movie prop. Thanks for the search!

I read many years ago that the producers of the show had a tough time with Buddy Ebsen (Jed) being drunk during filming. Probably Granny’s brew?

Back