JD Yanmar deisel engine

The owners manual shows the typical chart with different grades suggested for different operating temperatures. Plus 50 II is available in 15w40, 10w30, and 0w40.

I "think" they do a maintenance quick view type thing with most products. JD is good about having their owners manual available on line. Even better, you can get into their very detailed parts break down available to their dealers. It is a bit daunting on some parts. You have to have the correct serial number and other information because of all the variations, mid-stream changes, etc.. Like most companies, watch for mistakes (they botched the coolant capacity of my 4115 big time). I sometimes think that their lubricant recommendations are made by some intern sitting in an office. Several times I have contacted corporate to clear up owners manual discrepancies, i.e. low viscosity UTF vs. regular viscosity in a particular setting. As good/bad as Kubota in my experience

3025E parts: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/4341538

It does seem much more organized. Kubota is terrible in that regard! At least JD suggests 0w40. Kubota is still either SAE30, 10w30, and 15w40 depending on temps.

CI-4 or C3, but Mobil 1 0w40 is C3. Go figure. I'll stick with HDEO's though.

When people say "what does the John Deere manual recommend?"

It recommends all of them! Then on the tractors with the yanmar diesel you thrown in 15w40 along with everything else.

For a Yanmar Diesel in a compact JD Tractor, in my climate according to the chart I can use

15w40
10w40
10w30
5w30

API Service Classification CH or higher
ACEA Specification E3 or higher

All of these oils cover 90% of what most users will encounter I suspect. 15W40 is good down to -5, and 5w30 is good up to 105 degrees

Its such a huge range it will make your head spin.

Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool

It recommends all of them! Then on the tractors with the yanmar diesel you thrown in 15w40 along with everything else.

For a Yanmar Diesel in a compact JD Tractor, in my climate according to the chart I can use

15w40
10w40
10w30
5w30

All of these oils cover 90% of what most users will encounter I suspect. 15W40 is good down to -5, and 5w30 is good up to 105 degrees

Darn, no 5w40. My local Kubota dealer sells Kubota 5w40, but it's not in the manual of my tractor. Perhaps it's for the bigger stuff or some of their construction equipment? No idea, just odd to me.

10w30 is very middle of the road and likely the factory fill of a any ~25 hp Japanese diesel.

Last edited:
I run Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40. Used to have more zinc than Delvac 1, don't know now. Not sure if this engine has roller lifters or flat tappets.

My tractor is 2012 Deere Model 1026R with pre-T4 emissions Yanmar 3TNV76 engine. No exhaust aftertreatment. It gets high duty cycle hours / rpm / load with a 60" mulching mower deck.

Here's what the valve train and cover look like when we did 1,200 hour valve lash tightening this spring:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I run Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40. Used to have more zinc than Delvac 1, don't know now. Not sure if this engine has roller lifters or flat tappets.

My tractor is 2012 Deere Model 1026R with pre-T4 emissions Yanmar 3TNV76 engine. No exhaust aftertreatment. It gets high duty cycle hours / rpm / load with a 60" mulching mower deck.

Here's what the valve train and cover look like when we did 1,200 hour valve lash tightening this spring:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Curious, what OCI did you go with?

Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool

15w40
10w40
10w30
5w30

Darn, no 5w40. My local Kubota dealer sells Kubota 5w40, but it's not in the manual of my tractor. Perhaps it's for the bigger stuff or some of their construction equipment? No idea, just odd to me.

10w30 is very middle of the road and likely the factory fill of a any ~25 hp Japanese diesel.
Kubota seems to let its manuals go out of date. Mine gives the impression those are the only choices, too. BUT, Kubota has the latest information on line and seems to update those viscosities to recommendations, not requirements: https://www.kubotausa.com/service-support/maintenance-schedules/lubricant-maintenance-schedule

JD suggest their own oils (Plus50) which is still blended by Shell Rotella if I recall. I'd say you would be fine with any Rotella formula, just be sure to change it at the suggested OCI's

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bought a Kubtoa L3430 new in 2004.
I recently did the valve adjustment on my L3430; it was spotless inside just like these photos of the Deere.
I ran nothing but Rotella 10w-30 conventional oil in it it's entire life.
Clean engines are not the exclusive territory of syn fluids; there's plenty of detergents and dispersants in conventional HDEOs as well.

OP- you're locaiton is similar to mine (central midwest) and Yanmar makes excellent engines that are not known to be finicky about oil. Pick a lube you're happy with and don't sweat the rest. I recommend 10w-30 conventional oil year round; thin enough for winter and thick enough for summer. My UOAs on my Kubota have been excellent using Rotella, but any good quality HDEO brand will suffice.

Back