IWI "Baby" Desert Eagle Gets New Grips

I've had this pistol for quite a while now, and I like it a lot. It's an all steel 10 shot, double stack .45, that doesn't feel like you're holding the wrong end of a baseball bat.

They are plentiful in 9 MM and .40 S&W, but you don't see many in .45 ACP. I never cared for the utilitarian hard rubber grips the gun comes with.

And as hard as I tried, I couldn't find anyone who makes aftermarket grips for the .45 ACP "Baby" Desert Eagle. I finally came across a guy down in Corpus Christi, Texas who hand makes them for the .45 ACP model, (Henry Lance @ Texas Grips).

(Grips for the .40 and 9 MM model won't fit). Anyway he had these in stock. They fit perfectly, and took all of 5 minutes to install. The gun looks much better.

BEFORE :

1692938925063.jpeg

AFTER :
1692939052662.jpeg

I was a little concerned when I ordered these grips, because this gun has a similar grip attachment setup much like the Browning Hi Power. (A single screw offset to one side that secures the grip).

On a lot of Hi Powers, especially the FEG's and Tisas clones, the frames are all slightly different, which can cause fitting issues. There can even be a difference between the older FN produced Browning guns, and the later Browning versions that were produced in Morgan, Utah.

The clearance in the screw hole is ever so slightly offset to "push" the cut recessed edge on the grip panel, up against the opposite side of the frame. (The side by the magazine release).

If there is some dimensional discrepancy between the hole and the opposing edge of the frame, they either won't fit correctly, or in some cases they won't go on at all. Or else they can be be sloppy, and the grips can slide around on the frame.

But my hat is off to this guy, because these fit absolutely perfectly.

Definitely looks baby'ish in comparison to the .44 Desert Eagle I had 30 yrs ago. Was a nicely made piece, accuracy was decent, but having to break it down and deep clean every 75 rounds or so due to the gas blowback system got a bit old. I will say more power to ya for sticking with a .45 as I just never cared for it. Good power and decent accuracy maybe in the 40-50 yard range, but seemed to really fall off much further than that. Same with a weak joke 9mm as I've never been impressed with that caliber. No doubt as to why it's always been the spray/pray and really pales in comparison to a 10mm or 40 S&W. Yes I've shot quite a few handgun calibers, did a lot of reloading, etc. I will say by far the most impressive gun I've fired period was the Taurus 454 Casull my brother had yrs ago. Definitely far from practical for most uses, but insane nonetheless.

Having said all that, those grips do look nice and back when I had the 44 Desert Eagle I didn't like the stock grips and got hardwood as well.

Back