Ive decided to try Warren 5W30

Messages
462
Location
NYC
Thread starter
My 3.7 liter Duratec MKT is coming due for an oil change. It actually has Warrens Euro 5W40 blend in there which will promptly get sent to Blackstone. Ive decided to give Warren 5W30 a run and lets see how this goes. Amazon seems like the easiest way to get a six pack. Noted that Amazons pricing is slightly less than Walmart Supertech. [Linked Image]
 
Messages
462
Location
NYC
Thread starter
This is the most convenient packaging...right to my door. There is time factor in going to, from and getting through those stores. This way I dont take time out of my day. Also noticed there is a high mileage full synthetic version on Amazon and not in the Mag1 version.
 
Messages
471
Location
CA
Walmart will ship Supertech to you. I used the ST Synthetic HM and my car didn't blow up. Ran just fine - no noticeable differences.
 
Messages
462
Location
NYC
Thread starter
I want to see what Blackstone says about it. If it compares well with the other oils I use then there might be a future.
 
Messages
462
Location
NYC
Thread starter
I did do a cost comparison Amazon 6 pack deal $3.50 per quart Costco 2 jug deal $3 per quart Walmart Supertech jug $2.80 per quart I got the six pack Amazon deal because there is a min amount to purchase before it becomes free shipping at Walmart. Its about 18 dollars for 6 quarts at Walmart. I dont like doing 2 jugs because then I would have to keep the big jug around partially filled. At Walmart they have single quart bottles which is a plus.
 
Messages
95
Location
Ohio USA
I have the MKX, with the same engine. I have always used Motorcraft 5w20. That oil was always available in 5 quart jug for $20. It's no longer available at my local Walmart and $30 online or at auto parts store. I'm thinking of changing to Havoline smart change, it's 6 quarts and available in several varieties. I'm curious why the euro and 5w30? Is there something I should know. If you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on the oil for this engine. My MKX is 2014 and about to hit 100,000 and I love it!
 
Messages
893
Location
Vancouver
Originally Posted by Villalobos
I have the MKX, with the same engine. I have always used Motorcraft 5w20. That oil was always available in 5 quart jug for $20. It's no longer available at my local Walmart and $30 online or at auto parts store. I'm thinking of changing to Havoline smart change, it's 6 quarts and available in several varieties. I'm curious why the euro and 5w30? Is there something I should know. If you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on the oil for this engine. My MKX is 2014 and about to hit 100,000 and I love it!
Just do a search on his post history. You'll be reading for days.
 
Messages
42,924
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Navi
I want to see what Blackstone says about it. If it compares well with the other oils I use then there might be a future.
What do you expect Blackstone to say about it? They don't use UOA's to compare oils.
 
Messages
14,413
Location
...
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Navi
I want to see what Blackstone says about it. If it compares well with the other oils I use then there might be a future.
What do you expect Blackstone to say about it? They don't use UOA's to compare oils.
We seem to be going round in circles on this point. It has been said several times now.
 
Messages
462
Location
NYC
Thread starter
No I am not chasing PPM variations or any of what you just said. As stated I look at entire UOA line by line and the summary information. From that I draw conclusions. The conclusions could be many things. Thats it in nutshell.
 
Messages
14,413
Location
...
I just got back from the gedunk so I'm late in responding. It started with this:
Originally Posted by Navi
I want to see what Blackstone says about it. If it compares well with the other oils I use then there might be a future.
And several of us stated that the uoa is not for that purpose. But you continued on with that notion. You can run pretty much any brand of oil that meets the specs for your motor. You won't know the difference and your engine most certainly won't either. Now, back to the mid watch.
 
Messages
575
Location
MA
Originally Posted by PimTac
I just got back from the gedunk so I'm late in responding. It started with this:
Originally Posted by Navi
I want to see what Blackstone says about it. If it compares well with the other oils I use then there might be a future.
And several of us stated that the uoa is not for that purpose. But you continued on with that notion. You can run pretty much any brand of oil that meets the specs for your motor. You won't know the difference and your engine most certainly won't either. Now, back to the mid watch.
Yup! Within a particular cert/spec I have never seen any objective quantifiable data (I throw out the subjective sound/look/smell nonsense) even suggesting the brand of oil you use makes any difference. Except for maybe extreme cases I've never seen objective data showing viscosity makes an real difference for most common applications. For the average person doing reasonable OCIs and running oil within a particular spec it just doesn't matter. That means 95% of all BITOGers spend their entire time here chasing their tails....endlessly...waiting for the magic unicorn tears to appear in a bottle....which of course is never going to happen.
 
Last edited:
Messages
42,924
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Navi
No I am not chasing PPM variations or any of what you just said. As stated I look at entire UOA line by line and the summary information. From that I draw conclusions. The conclusions could be many things. Thats it in nutshell.
The line by line is the PPM variations, that's what most items on that sheet are measured in. Anyways, I'm just trying to prevent you from chasing your tail, as most people tend to think they can use a UOA to divine the best oil for their application but that's wholly outside the scope of its intended utility.
 
Messages
572
Location
Ohio
Im running mag1 in my impala and it seems like oil. They cheapened up the bottle, more so the seal but who cares. $1.79 a qt at family farm beats standing in line at Walmart for less money. Yes they do offer a high mileage mag1
 
Messages
303
Location
VA
Originally Posted by D1dad
Im running mag1 in my impala and it seems like oil. They cheapened up the bottle, more so the seal but who cares. $1.79 a qt at family farm beats standing in line at Walmart for less money. Yes they do offer a high mileage mag1
Me too in my Expedition. I can't tell a difference. I've been chasing an oil that will silence the vct system in my truck. It doesn't exist and UOA shows nothing abnormal so I might as well save some money and run whTs cheap and meets specs.
 
Top