It is ok to run Amsoil 20w50 on BMW R ninet (R1200 oil cool) ??

Manual says 15w50 JASO MA2 API SN... I heard that if you put too much viscosity grade oil is will be to thick to goes thru all space between crank and bearing space 1mm that suppose to be filled with engine oil.

Thank you

Last edited:
What will be the lowest air temperature this motorcycle will be ridden? 20W is just slightly thicker when cold compared to 15W. They are both 50 weight oil when hot.

I run Mobil 1 15w50 in my Harley air cooled engine and have for many years without problems
I highly doubt at 32 to 45c the Amsoil will have any problems lubricating your engine parts

Manual says 15w50 JASO MA2 API SN... I heard that if you put too much viscosity grade oil is will be to thick to goes thru all space between crank and bearing space 1mm that suppose to be filled with engine oil.

Thank you

Love those bikes!

I've run Amsoil 20W50 in many motorcycles when ambient temperatures were above freezing. Amsoil also offers a 15W50 motorcycle-specific oil. Why wouldn't you use it? It works well in my Triumph Tiger Explorer.

Amsoil MFF 15W50

Hi,
I have a 2014 R1200R (same engine as the R9T) and I had the same doubt; the manual for my bike also specifies 15w-50 but... the sticker under the seat is way more detailed (and it makes more sense IMHO)
"In relation to outside temperature"
"SAE 10W30,40,50//SAE 15W40,50//SAE 20W40,50."
Since I live in the south of the USA (near New Orleans) I used Castrol ActEvo 20W-50.

Attachments

• under_seat.jpg
    under_seat.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 92
even real synthetics which Amsoil 20-50 MIGHT be, benefit from closer viscosity spreads + a thicker low # in hotter areas. that said years ago my 2006 1200 porkster failed to start setting in a cold, about 40 degree garage as i wanted to ride in 50 some sunny degrees as i did years ago + it was SUPPOSED to be REAL synthetic that thickens LESS than FAKE synthetics in the COLD!!

With respect, interesting occurrence... Any 20w50 oil will flow at 40°F without even blinking, synthetic or conventional. Pour points are at -11°F for the “worst” conventional 20w50 motorcycle oil I could find and easily below -40 deg F with M1 20w50 V Twin, Redline 20w50, etc. I have used 20w50 (syn and conventional) many years through the winters here in Colorado, the garage gets colder than 40° before yielding to 40-50° on sunny days. There are 40°F mornings in the middle of summer in the mountains and no one I have ever known has had that issue like described.

I’m saying something was up besides the oil.

I wouldn’t take that statement above to the bank at all.

Last edited:
WELL a switch to 10-40 CURED it!! + no more over priced Scamsoil for me any more!!

Back