Is this VW 508.00 a Mobil product?

Looking for a VW 508.00 spec oil for my new Jetta 1.4 and this VW branded oil is one of the best priced I can find on line. Go figure. This does not appear to be a European offering. First the bottle appears to be a Mobile container, like the Mobil Euro stuff, but this is a quart container and not a liter. And finally, the label states, "Made in the USA from domestic and/or imported components.

Could the VW stuff be Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20?

vw508.jpg
ge600201qdsp-back.jpg
153439.jpg

From my contact at VWAG, Mobil ESP x2 0W20 is what you are getting in the 508/509 Volkswagen/Audi 0W20 branded in-house oil. Mobil says as much in their PDS without specifying which manufacturer they developed the oil in partnership with.

Awesome. A guy at VW is undercutting his own parts chain and blabbing a vendor agreement that was probably reached under NDA. Oh well, the cat is out of the bag now.

OP, the bottle is a good indicator which leads us to a safe assumption it is ESP X2. But that is all we have.

Even if somehow this Mobil1 0w20 is not the same as VW own oil. You said you're looking for an oil with the right approvals, and M1 ESP definitely has both VW 508 and 509, if you can get it easily - that's all I'd be caring about.
Now I see why @wemay is excited about this ESP X2 coming to his local Napa :)

Good to know; I put 6 qts in my Audi yesterday thinking it was made by Castrol.

What does it cost at dealers? I bought mine from ESC.

Good to know; I put 6 qts in my Audi yesterday thinking it was made by Castrol.

What does it cost at dealers? I bought mine from ESC.
ECS is where I'm finding a reasonable price. A little over 7 bucks a quart. Have not checked the dealer, but It's probably a few bucks more per qt, unless they stock the stuff made in Europe, then who knows. The VW black bottle stuff will be fine for me.

The 1.4L takes exactly 4 liters with a filter change, so I guess I'll have to get 5 qts. But that's ok. I'll have some left over in case I ever have to add a little.

For VW licensed 508.00 that probably about as good as a price you'll find. Think I'll give the local VW dealer a call and see what they are asking.

I agree. The nearest dealership to me charges $7.50 or so. I just bought ESP 0W30 for at AAP for their oil change special - $33 for 5qts and a filter.
I can feel @SlavaB rolling his eyes. ;)

Mod's, can i change my username to OCDWemay??

Last edited:
Are you gonna dump it now since it’s not Castrol? :) the ESC website wording is confusing for sure. There’s this link that suggests 508/509 oils are very similar across the offerings https://www.ato24.de/en/blog/comparison-0w-20-engine-oils/

Darn right; suck that thin watery green stuff right out and get some Castrol. After all, the fill cap on my '20 Q3 clearly says "Use Castrol". Now, if Mobil 1 wants to send me a proper fill cap, I'll leave their stuff in!;)

I agree. The nearest dealership to me charges $7.50 or so. I just bought ESP 0W30 for at AAP for their oil change special - $33 for 5qts and a filter.
I can feel @SlavaB rolling his eyes. ;)

Mod's, can i change my username to OCDWemay??

Just got my 10 qts of M1 ESP 5w30 from Napa, $54 delivered and M1 rebate pays back $20. In fact it’s my wife who’s rolling her eyes lol.

Darn right; suck that thin watery green stuff right out and get some Castrol. After all, the fill cap on my '20 Q3 clearly says "Use Castrol". Now, if Mobil 1 wants to send me a proper fill cap, I'll leave their stuff in!;)

Sending some intelligent molecules your way 😂

Called the VW dealer, a little of seven bucks a qt for the VW branded 508.00. I've decided to do a 5,000 mile OC myself, then the next two at 10,000 and 20,000 are complementary from the dealer.

All this time, when I was a 507.00 guy, I figured this new 508 would be as high as a cats back. But it's on par with the 507 I'd been using.

Haven't done an oil/filter change in a long time that was as easy and actually as fun as the Q3 Audi. The idea of using an extractor somehow just seemed wrong, until I found that the dealer did the same. No drips, not even from the canister filter. if oil prices get down lower I'll prob do it every week!;)

Awesome. A guy at VW is undercutting his own parts chain and blabbing a vendor agreement that was probably reached under NDA. Oh well, the cat is out of the bag now.
Naw, actually he's probably throwing more business to VW itself. I can get the Mobil/VW 508.00 at the dealer now at a price that's probably going to be lower that ESP.

Back