Is this thread galling?

I was undoing a M8 bolt securing the steering column and it started getting really hard to turn the ratchet...

Funny thing is I had just installed the same bolt 2 weeks ago. I thought to myself there was no way it was cross threaded when it was installed, I had turned it in by hand and snugged it up to maybe 15 ft/lbs if that... Install was smooth.

...So back to today, with some effort, out it came looking like this. Looking more like a lag bolt now.

Is this a case of galling? I’ve had a fare share of cross threads but I can’t say this has ever occurred to me before.

Luckily there was enough material left in the threaded hole for me to clean it up with a drill bit and retap to the same size. Threw in a new fastener and was able to get it torqued to spec without it ripping out, so I got lucky there.

Attachments

• 8889E5AB-564C-400F-AB8B-FF12A126164C.jpeg
    8889E5AB-564C-400F-AB8B-FF12A126164C.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 197
I was undoing a M8 bolt securing the steering column and it started getting really hard to turn the ratchet...

Funny thing is I had just installed the same bolt 2 weeks ago. I thought to myself there was no way it was cross threaded when it was installed, I had turned it in by hand and snugged it up to maybe 15 ft/lbs if that... Install was smooth.

...So back to today, with some effort, out it came looking like this. Looking more like a lag bolt now.

Is this a case of galling? I’ve had a fare share of cross threads but I can’t say this has ever occurred to me before.

Luckily there was enough material left in the threaded hole for me to clean it up with a drill bit and retap to the same size. Threw in a new fastener and was able to get it torqued to spec without it ripping out, so I got lucky there.
I'd say that bolt is null and void.

But it's weird that this happened under light force.

Yes it installed fine with no cross threading, two weeks ago. It was during REMOVAL that it got caught up. Bolt was installed in a weld nut, the portion you see damaged had already passed through to the other side of the nut during service. It was when they passed back through the weld nut on it’s way out, things got tangled...

Back