Is this the Tesla killer? Lucid baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it. A lot more than the Tesla even- looks better both inside and out and *seems* to offer even better performance.

I like it. A lot more than the Tesla even- looks better both inside and out and *seems* to offer even better performance.
I think the Lucid Air here, with the 3 motors, is over $120K. The Model S is a 10 year old car.
And the same guy engineered both. Right up the road from here.
I think I saw one a few months back; they have been testing them for some time.
The driverless Tesla Semi gets seen regularly in the South Bay; I haven't seen one.

Competition is good for us, the consumers. An exciting time, for sure.

Lucid Air.jpeg

Last edited:
Electric cars will be nice soon. I used to work on electric forklifts they are different yet similar in comparison to gas engine forklifts. The electric forklifts required minimal service and repair if the forklift wasn't run on a low charge.

Lucid, and all the other non Tesla’s cannot supercharge in Tesla’s vast network. That makes it nearly impossible to look at a non Tesla BEV seriously.

I don't believe it will be any more capable or have longer real world range than Tesla's comparable products. Tesla cars are already quite low drag and have reached the point of diminishing returns. Tesla motors are efficient, as are their controllers. The idea that 150 additional miles of range will come from the same sized battery in a comparable 4500 pound car is simply nonsense.

Some real world numbers. Between 59% and 62% of the grid power that goes into an EV, ends up driving the wheels. That's due to charger losses, battery charge and battery discharge losses, along with other minor losses, such as controller, wiring and motor.

I get tired of the vaporware type claims.

Furthermore, I drive A LOT. Not once have I been passed by a Tesla on a highway trip. They all go slow to maximize their already quite limited highway range. I have been passed by one or two when they zoom from exit to exit here in South Florida. But never any other time. Bottom line, those 250, 300 and even 400 mile EV range claims are utter nonsense at today's highway speeds. 200 miles is about the current limit at 80, before one must find a charger.

Last edited:
Cujet makes great points. When you need to really travel an EV slows you way down. They aren't cheap either, $47k for a dual motor model 3 vs my cheap Altrack at only 23.6k new. That price difference affords well over 200,000 miles of gasoline and you can 'recharge' it faster than you can use the bathroom in the gas station.

I'l still probably buy a Tesla someday, 3-5 years perhaps.

EV are the future, while range is still an issue battery technology is improving. I see Tesla as a company that forces the auto industry to the table. Think about what EV's were available prior to Tesla, the Nissan leaf and chevy volt both of which where junky econo boxes. Tesla opened the auto industry's eyes and forced auto makers to step up because of lost sales and revenue. Competition makes better products that consumers want to buy, and makes auto makers innovate not stagnate, much like US auto makers had to in the 70's and 80's when the Japanese almost killed the US auto makers. The same negativity was around back then when us cars got 10 mpg vs japanese vehicles getting substatially better gas mileage. This is a good thing for all of us and even more important for our children and granchildren. Before you flame me for being a liberal tree hugger, I am a hot rodder at heart and I am starting to collect parts to start modding my 05 GTO, but I'm also a realist that embraces technology. ICE will still be around in my life time but may not in my daughters.

EV are the future, while range is still an issue battery technology is improving. I see Tesla as a company that forces the auto industry to the table. Think about what EV's were available prior to Tesla, the Nissan leaf and chevy volt both of which where junky econo boxes. Tesla opened the auto industry's eyes and forced auto makers to step up because of lost sales and revenue. Competition makes better products that consumers want to buy, and makes auto makers innovate not stagnate, much like US auto makers had to in the 70's and 80's when the Japanese almost killed the US auto makers. The same negativity was around back then when us cars got 10 mpg vs japanese vehicles getting substatially better gas mileage. This is a good thing for all of us and even more important for our children and granchildren. Before you flame me for being a liberal tree hugger, I am a hot rodder at heart and I am starting to collect parts to start modding my 05 GTO, but I'm also a realist that embraces technology. ICE will still be around in my life time but may not in my daughters.

I suggest you understand that technology ( a technical process) must give way to physics ( the actual properties available in the elements) 100% of the time.

No amount of "technology" is going to make any EV a 1:1 swap in all areas against the energy stored in dino fuel.

All the wishing, hoping, believing, investments and screaming at the sky isn't going to change that.

Im not saying that at all. I'm saying that technology is evolving and competition amongst EV companies is good, because it gives the consumer a better product. Like it or not EV are here to stay. While they may not yet have the range and ability to charge in the same time as refuling a car it will eventually happen, this industry is in its infancy much like computers where in the 80s. IBM made fun of Apple for making a home PC, look where PC are now or look at the early autos in the 1920's gas stations where fewand far between, now look at howmany gas stations and auto infrastructure ( gas tire parts etc) arre available. Its only a matter of time. EV' are maybe not for the long distance drivers yet, but certainly have a place for the short to medium range commuters. Criticize all you want you cannot stop technology and innovation. All Im saying is that EV are constantly getting better and eventually they will replace the ICE, maybe not today or tomorrow, no one can really know but change is inevitable.

Criticize all you want you cannot stop technology and innovation.

I'm not criticizing- just stating a cold hard fact of physics. I'm in the business of expanding technology and innovation so I'm the last one to impede it but with that comes a firm grounding in reality as well.

All Im saying is that EV are constantly getting better and eventually they will replace the ICE, maybe not today or tomorrow, no one can really know

Unless and until they rewrite the laws of physics they will never replace an ICE in a 1:1. The energy potential of a battery regardless of what amount of weapons grade unobtainium they put into it will never equal the total energy in petroleum. Then we can talk the charging infrastructure to equal all that charging, then vehicle payload versus range.

Change is inevitable, I grant that but that sentiment alone wont change lead to gold either.

I don't believe it will be any more capable or have longer real world range than Tesla's comparable products. Tesla cars are already quite low drag and have reached the point of diminishing returns. Tesla motors are efficient, as are their controllers. The idea that 150 additional miles of range will come from the same sized battery in a comparable 4500 pound car is simply nonsense.

Some real world numbers. Between 59% and 62% of the grid power that goes into an EV, ends up driving the wheels. That's due to charger losses, battery charge and battery discharge losses, along with other minor losses, such as controller, wiring and motor.

I get tired of the vaporware type claims.

Furthermore, I drive A LOT. Not once have I been passed by a Tesla on a highway trip. They all go slow to maximize their already quite limited highway range. I have been passed by one or two when they zoom from exit to exit here in South Florida. But never any other time. Bottom line, those 250, 300 and even 400 mile EV range claims are utter nonsense at today's highway speeds. 200 miles is about the current limit at 80, before one must find a charger.

And, depending on where you are a charger may not be available in that distance. Some careful planning has to be done before going on longer trips.

Most EV discussions focus on road trips but ignore that having a fueling station at your house is a complete game changer for 80% of most driving.

BEV's aren't great for every trip, but they don't need to be.

UD

That and so far Lucids CEO isn't a Twitter spouting moron. I hope Tesla goes bankrupt.

Most EV discussions focus on road trips but ignore that having a fueling station at your house is a complete game changer for 80% of most driving.

BEV's aren't great for every trip, but they don't need to be.

UD
This. I also don’t understand why people have this “you can only have gas or you can only have electric” mindset, no one is forcing you to only have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back