Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram XG7317, Looked into filter before pouring oil in and saw this, at first I thought it was some sort of epoxy used during manufacturing.

Stuck a new chopstick in to check it out and it's an oily residue?

[Linked Image]

Yes its normal, it is an anti corrosive.

motorking covered it when he worked for FRAM and its been discussed a number of times.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Chinese sweat factory tears.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Yes its normal, it is an anti corrosive.

motorking covered it when he worked for FRAM and its been discussed a number of times.

Thanks

BTW, there wouldn't happen to be a VOA on this "anti corrosive" would there?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
I noticed the off center silicon ADBV first.

That bad boy would be going back. Wonder if Trico is starting to go all Mann+Hummel on us??

Originally Posted by PimTac
I noticed the off center silicon ADBV first.

Most likely photo parallax. No way for the ADBV to get off center the way it's designed top fit in the center tube, and end cap has centering tabs for the whole assembly in the can. Obviously, the camera is not looking dead nuts down the centerline of the tube.

The Fram adbv sits deep in and the picture is at an angle. The centering is excellent on the end cap it's the base hump combined with off center holes too near the seal flat that is hokey imo.
The excess lube on the inside isn't exactly repelling dust but is better than rust.

Originally Posted by TurboLuver
Fram XG7317, Looked into filter before pouring oil in and saw this, at first I thought it was some sort of epoxy used during manufacturing.

Stuck a new chopstick in to check it out and it's an oily residue?

[Linked Image]

35.gif

is it dusty?
is it rusty?
is it of center?
running to the end zone with no ball, just because you never got to.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Most likely photo parallax.
Correct.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
is it dusty? NO
is it rusty? NO
is it of center? NO
running to the end zone with no ball, just because you never got to. Not even sure what that means, I assume an attempt to besmirch?

I noticed what turned out to be an oily residue in the can and having not been in on what must have been a quite spirited conversation
about the topic simply wondered if it was normal. I was quickly informed it was in fact normal, even though I have never noticed this before.

The residue is a dirt magnet and it all goes to the main bearings. The open end is exposed to whatever is getting into the box in the room. It's about something as much as new oil in the center tube is bad. It has absolutely nothing to do with the filter being a Fram.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The residue is a dirt magnet and it all goes to the main bearings. The open end is exposed to whatever is getting into the box in the room. It's about something as much as new oil in the center tube is bad. It has absolutely nothing to do with the filter being a Fram.

I understand the residue could pose an issue. I never said anything about it being a Fram issue, simply wondered if it was normal. The filter just happened to be a Fram?

Originally Posted by TurboLuver
Originally Posted by Farnsworth

I understand the residue could pose an issue. I never said anything about it being a Fram issue, simply wondered if it was normal. The filter just happened to be a Fram?

I meant others are maybe quick to say Fram is being picked on anytime a imperfection is shown. So I said this has nothing to do with being a Fram, in agreement with what you said. Just came out wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back