Is there such a thing as an underbody anti rust...

Napa sells Fluid film by the gallon. I have the FF wands that you can put in to the doors and inside the frame. But for the bulk of it I just spray with a harbor freight HVLP paint gun. I warm the FF up in a coffee can on a hotplate a little to get it to spray nicely in the hvlp gun. Its quick and easy to get everything coated this way.
Wear a respirator and make sure the windows are rolled up. I do it out on jack stands now. 1st year i did it inside the garage on my lift. BIG mistake. It gets EVERYWHERE
lol.gif

Every time i get a notification on this thread, i realise i wasn't clear enough in my titling - i was after something that arrested existing rust as well as prevented further rusting, a lot of these recommendations turn out to only really want applying to currently rust free surfaces.

Originally Posted by MaDMaXX
Is there such a thing as an underbody anti rust coating such as Fluid Film, but that gets a kind of skin on it, so it doesn't collect dirt etc.?

I'm looking to spray underbodies on the cars where there is either rust starting, or will be, but i would like something that doesn't stay wet, whilst still able to creep and keep rust at bay.

Thanks.

Corrosion X makes a product called Max-Wax. It's about the most effective product I've found. AV30 is another product that is exceptional, however, it is exceedingly expensive.

http://www.corrosionx.com/max-wax.html

I use it extensively. I find that the use of 3 heatlamps to heat the surface prior to application really makes it flow into the seams.

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of AV30, applied with a heat lamp. Notice that it wicks to the other side of the seams. I applied it with a paint brush. The MaxWax will do exactly the same if the surface is warm.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
Every time i get a notification on this thread, i realise i wasn't clear enough in my titling - i was after something that arrested existing rust as well as prevented further rusting, a lot of these recommendations turn out to only really want applying to currently rust free surfaces.

Krown is what you are searching for... Wax + oil...

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

Krown is what you are searching for... Wax + oil...

Krown is not a wax / oil product. I know because I've getting cars rust proofed for the last 15 years by Krown.
It's a oil type penetrating product that will drip. Check out the Krown hope page web site for more information.

If you want to stop rust , you need a oil type penetrating product sprayed under high pressure. Spraying any wax, tar
hard product etc is the worst thing you can do. It will trap moisture and rust will begin underneath that layer of wax or tar.
Oil will creep and penetrate seams and cavities, wax will not.

If you have existing rust, I'd scrape or brush as much as I could. Then clean with ospho.

After clean and dry then oil spray with an oil of your choice, and then after that soaks in, topcoat with a wax.

Waxes are good as another layer of protection, but they do diffuse moisture and still create a risk.

Reactions: GON
Is there such a thing as an underbody anti rust coating such as Fluid Film, but that gets a kind of skin on it, so it doesn't collect dirt etc.?

I'm looking to spray underbodies on the cars where there is either rust starting, or will be, but i would like something that doesn't stay wet, whilst still able to creep and keep rust at bay.

Thanks.

Look at Amsoil HDMP and Boeshield T9.

when I repaired the frame on the Rat, I brushed on coat after coat of plain old boiled linseed oil as the repair dragged on. Takes along time to dry . It forms an air tight coat. No air , no rust:cool:

Do you have an air compressor?
If so, get yourself a 1 gallon can of fluid film from Napa online when they have the sale for 20 pct off.

Then get yourself the gun and wands that come with three bottles. You'll need some body plugs to plug the holes of you want to spray inside the doors etc. If you aren't doing inside the door panels then you don't need them.

Fluid film will wash off of the areas that come into contact with water. Other areas underneath near the gas tank and recesses will keep the fluid film on them.

I just finished doing the vehicles in my signature. Inside the door panels FF doesn't drip off and when you are underneath the car it doesn't drip on you. There's a smell that goes away after 7-10 days depending on how much you spray on the vehicles. The caravan is 5 years old in the rust belt and doesn't have any rust on It. Civic is 23 years old had some rust before I treated those areas such as under the plastic liners in the front wheel wells for instance.

Once you own the gun, it's just a matter of the fluid film. I was spending close to $300 bucks a year on rust proofing (krown and rust check) and the places I went to cut corners. When you do it yourself you can give it as much as you want. You could even do it twice a year of you choose.

I've been spraying quite a bit of Wool Wax lately. It is a lanolin based product that seems to work great. I used to use Amsoil HDMP but I much prefer the Woolwax. The product is much thicker than fluid film so it stands up very well. It has very little smell and is not a health hazard that many are. It is also not a petroleum based product so it can be sprayed basically anywhere. Great product.

my fully galvanized body on a 2001 jetta bought new i drove 10 yrs + 200,000 miles had basically NO RUST or holes in it at trade in, only minor surface rust where dealer mudguards were installed + i drove in salty Penna when we used to get a lot more snow hence salted roads!! no xtras just a well built car.

Thanks.
I would only treat the rusted area. Knock down the heavy stuff with a wire wheel or brush. Spray it on a warm low humidity day with a high zinc primer and something like rustoleum truck bed spray.

Corrosion X makes a product called Max-Wax. It's about the most effective product I've found. AV30 is another product that is exceptional, however, it is exceedingly expensive.

http://[URL="http://www.corrosionx.com/"]www.corrosionx.com/max-wax.html[/URL]

I use it extensively. I find that the use of 3 heatlamps to heat the surface prior to application really makes it flow into the seams.

Does MaxWax have a lasting smell? Looks to be a good product but don't want a bad odor fest around my truck. I don't mind a smell while spraying. I do like the fact that it has VCI but usually the trade off is funky stench.

Thanks.

http://www.corrosionx.com/max-wax.html

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of AV30, applied with a heat lamp. Notice that it wicks to the other side of the seams. I applied it with a paint brush. The MaxWax will do exactly the same if the surface is warm.

[Linked Image]

That stuff is almost 300$ per gallon!!

One of this guys videos was shared earlier in the thread, but after doing a lot of watching, he definitely seems to have the most comprehensive testing in both number of products and duration, with realistic conditions. Seems like if preventing rust is your primary concern, especially on a used car, then woolwax, fluid film, or this new blaster surface shield are your best bet. Unless you want to do some pretty intensive prep work, the hard or fully drying undercoatings don't seem like a great option for a vehicle that isn't brand new.

Last edited:
Back