Is There a USB of Bluetooth CD Player that Plays Over Car's Sound System?

Wife's new GMC doesn't have CD player, most newer cars don't it seems. But she has a CD collection she likes. As a Christmas gift I'd like to find her a portable CD player that will connect to car's infotainment system by USB, Bluetooth, or even headphone-out jack. Ideally, this unit would also have a 12 volt power plug so it doesn't rely on two AA batteries or whatever.

Employee at a popular consumer electronics big box store told me the other day that only option is an old school battery powered portable CD player and use the headphone jack to cord music to the infotainment system. Is this true?

Have you considered ripping her CDs to MP3? I still buy CDs, but don't like to lug around a cd wallet or deal with changing them in the car, so I'll put the ripped MP3 files on a USB drive or SD card for use on the road.

Originally Posted by fsdork
Have you considered ripping her CDs to MP3? I still buy CDs, but don't like to lug around a cd wallet or deal with changing them in the car, so I'll put the ripped MP3 files on a USB drive or SD card for use on the road.

That's the ticket. This is why cars don't come with CD players. People these days rip our CDs to MP3 and put the MP3 on our phones or a USB stick. Put each CD in its own folder. Very convenient once you learn to navigate the file tree.

CD's?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I don't know how easy it is to navigate using the stereo; in my car I've thought about getting multiple USB sticks and grouping similar music. Less to scroll through when looking for something.

The temptation is to throw every album one owns onto one stick, and always have it... but then it's a pain to find something something quickly. At least that is what I found.

new tech can be a PITA, as you need to work around what was simple before. this sells new modern tech + may asve auto makers a buck or two. i have older vehicles + like myself the work well so no need for newer overpriced ones!!

Thanks for the suggestions but I'll pass on ripping a bazillion compact discs to mp3 and coaching her on how to play them. Looks like she's out of luck.

Really, who steals cd's these days? They're worthless. Heck, I leave my Ipod in plain view in my car, unlocked on the driveway, because who's going to want an Ipod these days?

CDs are a pain in a car. Easy to scratch, need to be handled carefully, etc.

The advice to rip to mp3 is best. Put them all on one usb stick and be done.

There are USB CD drives... Ive never tried attaching one to a car usb connector. No idea if it would be controllable.

If that doesn't work, the clerk's comments relative to a portable drive are likely correct. The question would be if there is a portable CD player with Bluetooth output.

Every option will be clunky compared to the ripping to a usb stick.

We sure do have way to complicate technology don't we. I had a vehicle with a 6 CD player and when loaded gave me many hours of listing pleasure. I guess that was too easy for the modern technos. Ed

Originally Posted by StarCaller
bluetooth cd player

Check the specs to make sure it has the right BT profile to work with a car. The HOTT CD611T Bluetooth CD player has this warning:

NOTE:

Connect the CD player to your car through the 3.5mm audio port. If your car doesn't have a 3.5mm audio port, the CD player can't work on your car. You won't be able to connect this cd player to your car by Bluetooth function, because the Bluetooth function is only designed to connect the cd player to Bluetooth headphone or Bluetooth speaker. The Bluetooth function can't used to connect to the vehicle, mobile or any other Bluetooth devices.

Originally Posted by Eddie
We sure do have way to complicate technology don't we. I had a vehicle with a 6 CD player and when loaded gave me many hours of listing pleasure. I guess that was too easy for the modern technos. Ed

Why would I want to limit myself to 6 CDs when I have a million songs at my disposal via one of the various streaming services. People don't buy CDs anymore. It's like complaining new cars don't play cassettes.

Back