Is Royal Purple worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the deal from "advance auto" in the states.RP with a K&N
filter.5w30. 39.99 +tx.
my car (optima turbo) definitely starts quieter--no chain noise.
penn ultra was the last stuff I used and it was good but I did get some startup noise--only for a sec.

with RP my car starts quicker and quieter--better than ultra.
I used a genuine kia filter--the K&N are for other cars I work on.

gas milage seems to be less with RP than ultra.i just completed
a 4000 km round trip drive--2000 on ultra and 2000 on RP.

p.s. my bud builds race engines and he dino tests them--he LOST h.p. with RP.QS green bottle he gained h.p.
it was QSGB then RP then back to QSGB and both times he gained h.p with QSGB and lost a good amount of h.p. with R.P.

I did find my power is less with R.P. over penn. ultra in the turbo optima...

I currently use R.P. in my civic si
I used Edge prior. I am very happy with RP. And will continue to use it.
The car runs with more vigor. It just simply does. Civic si forums, you can find ALOT of enthusiasts that use it. Im keen to try sustina also. Members also report similar findings.
In any case...I like it a lot. Thats all that matters. And, apparently a lot of enthusiast not just with civic si's but other sports cars......Corvette, R8's, WRX sti's, Lotus...etc.
many of those folks use it. Must be a reason?
Note....no, I'm not comparing my SI to a Lotus or an R8..but, it is pretty darn fast and it performs well.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Originally Posted By: T-Stick
Here is a link where oils are tested for wear capability. RP does not show itself outstanding in the area where it makes its greatest claims of superior film strength.

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Note in the ranking list that the conventional Castrol GTX 5W-20 is ranked #20 and the RP synthetic 5W-20 API SN is ranked #32. Why would someone pay more for less?

Those tests do not directly relate to a running engine,sorry.

if you use some of those oils that score well in those "tests" in an actual high performance engine,they will not do as well as some of those that do not score very well.

PERIOD.

It may not be that they have high levels of zinc, it may not be because they have high levels of whatever. It IS because they do a better job of lubricating an actual RUNNING ENGINE.

If you really want to test oil you need to do tests on actual engines! You people that rely on what you read on the "internet" as truth,need an eye opener.Goto an engine shop,see what they use,etc. Get some reliable data and go from there in your oil choices.

No where in my statement did I imply that all engine shops use is Royal Purple,way to twist on my words,not cool at all.

I meant to go check out what engine builder like and recommend for your particular application.

You guys wanna hate,thats fine. I've seen what this oil is capable of in street and race engines. I was warned this forum is bad for any Royal Purple related topics,it is what it is.

I use Amsoil,Royal Purple,and Valvoline in our applications currently.

I am using R.P. 0w20 in my Civic SI I love it. Will continue.
When you go to car meets and talk to enthusiasts....you find ALOT of folks using R.P. And in far more $$ and far more high end cars than mine. Top Gear on BBC even talked about the desire to get it in europe easier than it is now.

Originally Posted By: toys

So Royal Purple cut your power. How did you measure the diminution of power?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Who makes it

Who makes what? RP is a blender, so they have to buy their base stocks and additive packages from someone else.

I always thought they just got the base stocks. I thought they did their own additives?

I meant who makes blue and green oil

Valvoline makes blue, Brad Penn makes green.

Originally Posted By: Nayov

The same way people measured the increase of power claimed with RP - the butt dyno.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I always thought they just got the base stocks. I thought they did their own additives?

They probably do their own additives for HPS and the racing oils (and their industrial line, for that matter). For the GF-5 rated oils, I would think buying a package from someone else would be the simplest solution.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
Originally Posted By: toys

it feels like a thicker oil than penn ultra.pours thicker and a darker color on the dipstick.darker when brand new just changed out.
like posted above thru the feeling when I give'er the gas.
also,my buddy did dyno test RP and he did lose BHP over QSGB.
p.s. my bad the chain noise showed up again so it's not quieter.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I meant who makes blue and green oil

Valvoline makes blue, Brad Penn makes green.

Schaeffer oil is greenish color also.

Royal purple max atf will be going in the built 47re that's going in my dodge because that is what the builder recommends.

Btw I've never ran royal purple anything other than their fuel additive which when I used in my old hyundai my mileage came up a couple mpg for a few tanks, it may of just been the placebo effect, but anyways I've never ran anything else, but from what I've seen royal purples quality looks to be top notch, I haven't been as impressed as others by amsoil with the price to quality.

Well, sir1900, if you want to buy oil at Den-Paul in Regina, then RP will be worth it to you. If you prefer Walmart or CT sales, then perhaps not.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Back to the original question......Is Royal Purple worth it?

After 133 replies, it appears the jury is still out on this one.

Yes, if you are in Canada because of the price.

No, if you are in the U.S. because of the price.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Back to the original question......Is Royal Purple worth it?

After 133 replies, it appears the jury is still out on this one.

Yes, if you are in Canada because of the price.

No, if you are in the U.S. because of the price.

And that's just it. I think from a price perspective, it's absolutely worth it considering the $39.99 Pep Boys deal that's going on now. Up here, it's $60 OTD at the local stores and that's without the filter.

At the same time, I'm thinking M1 AFE can be had for ~$25 at Walmart in the US and the product is, I would argue, just as good as RP.

If anything, I think the thrill of "trying something different" -- that alone -- may be enough to say the RP deal is worth it (to me anyway), so I guess I've given myself two reasons to bring home a bunch of RP when I head down to the US in less than two weeks.

Do you really think you will be able to tell a difference in your engine?
I have used alot of oils over the last 45 years and I have never noticed anything different from one oil to the next other than less cosumption using a heavier wt in some of my cars
I guess my butt dyno was left out at birth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back