Is Mobil One PAO or Group III based???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Additive technology is becoming advanced to the point that GroupII and II+ basestocks can almost have the same level of performance as Blends.

The important stuff. At least for any normal user.

Originally Posted By: JAG
It's ironic that this thread is going on at the same time as buster's thread which shows the PAO percentage of various M1 oils. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2786564#Post2786564
MSDS for viscosity grades not listed below can also be found.

PAO % in M1 from Japanese MSDSs
0W-20: 40-50
0W-30: 10-20
5W-30: 20-30

PAO is used largely to decrease volatility, Cold Cranking Visocosity, and cold Pumping Viscosity. Those are the three parameters that PAO definitely beats Group III and III+ in.

Alkylated napthalene and esters have potent effects in low doses when mixed with PAO and Group III, so it's unwise to not give their possible presence any possible credit.
interesting point. What's the % of the Alkylated napthalenes in M1 oils?
And do any engine oils also contain alkyl benzenes ?
Or is it not appropriate type of base oil for engine oils?

Quote:

No one knows exactly, but depending on the viscosity required and type of other base oils, many formulators use between 5% and 12%.

Quote:

At one time AB's were widely used in Artic formulations and some Artic lubes may yet contain this component.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So show me a high PAO content oil that sells at the same price as M1. The last M1 I bought was $25.49 for 5 quarts.

Clevy's from Canada, so he's not going to get the M1 at that price, and RP and M1 EP and their ilk are a bit more.

@Trav: With Clevy and I both in Canada, PU is hard to find. I'd have an easier time getting Motul than I would PU, believe it or not.

Quote:

No one knows exactly, but depending on the viscosity required and type of other base oils, many formulators use between 5% and 12%.

Quote:

At one time AB's were widely used in Artic formulations and some Artic lubes may yet contain this component.

Thanks!
Any idea on the minimum/maximum % of the AB's in these formulations?

Would you say that AB's provide major improvements in both fuel economy and cold start performance (that is more than PAO's) ?

Additive technology is becoming advanced to the point that GroupII and II+ basestocks can almost have the same level of performance as Blends.

For the average consumer, yes i do agree.

But My bike goes from cold to 7500RPM in like what, less than 2 minutes after turning the key?

Easy to see which oils have G3/3+ stuff inside because i see performance degration at 5-70% of the average lifetime for G4/5 based oils.

Hi rev/temps still make G3/3+ look like chew toys under current tech additive tech to me.

2006 GMC Canyon 75000 miles, 2004 GMC Envoy 45000 miles. F115 Yamaha outboard, and countless small engines. All of these run on M1 Of various weights and never a problem. So who realy F@#$ing cares. Don't use it if you don't like it. I think it is a good product for the price. Every one of my oil checks at Blackstone came back perfect, I think that say's it all.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

I invite the OP to procure some pure 11cSt PAO and put it in his engine, since it is so important. He wont like the result. That's not being rude or disrespectful, that is being realistic.

Hmmm.... I have access to some REALLY thin PAO (Castrol Brayco Micronic 889) I wonder what kind of oil pressure I would get?

:-D

It is almost like water (no good additives, either)

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Fred H.
I just want to know if Mobil One is still made purley from PAO basestocks like it used to be in the past.

It is not. And it has never been. No oil out there is made purely from PAO.

Oil from Germany? I think its law there.

What about USA Spectro? (though I do not see a claim of 100%)
https://spectro-oils.com/wp-content/techsheets/HD PLAT2050EngineLubricant.pdf

Originally Posted by Fred H.
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Isn't performance more important than what it is made of

I don't want to get into a debate about performance or what oil is best. All I want to know is if Mobil One is still PAO based or not.

BITOG ... no debate? ask a simple question? No such thing.

I read the threads too, Mobile 1 is not 100%, if it was it would be PROUDLY labeled as such. its all smoke, mirrors and marketing and also BITOG for those refusing to admit there is no proven oil that will reduce engine wear / (make an engine last longer) more then the other in the same API.
How long an engine lasts is up to the engineering of the engine, not some oil company marketing.

You would be just as good buying any SN oil and changing it on time.
Walmart Super Tech synthetic @ $3.00 a quart in a 5 quart jug and you good to go. or ... Walmart super techn conventional @ $2.00 a quart.
or

again, any oil that makes you happy in the proper API.

I am still wondering why you guys are even discussing this since the OP has not posted on BITOG since 10/29/12 01:27 PM?

PAO flows well but is weak on polarity. Hunting for PAO is yesterdy and ester beats it hands down. I didnt know PUP was gp 4 w GTL so thank-you Trav! Think I will stick with Redline 0w20. Pours at -76, Flash at 450 and HTHS of 2.9 . I'm paying more but I'm getting more and not losing any sleep over a top of the line product. Its good enough for Bugatti cars and can be sold in Germany. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4817463/Bugatti_Veyron_$21k_oil_change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back