Is Mobil One PAO or Group III based???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really like to know, because I'm paying nearly $6 a qt for what I believe is true PAO based synthetic. I use the 5w-30 in my car and the 15w-50 in my bike.

My feeling is that if Mobil One has changed over to a Group III oil, then I'll stop buying it, and look for a less expensive oil. I don't mind paying extra for Mobil One if it is indeed a PAO based oil, but if it isn't then I don't see why I should continue to pay extra for it.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer on what Mobil One uses for base stock, PAO or group III?

The answer to that is M1 is a blend of about 13 different types of base oils. Afaik, PAO and Esters are a part of that blend. I highly recommend the 0w30 weight M1 AFE if you are using 5w30 atm. Especially if warranty isnt a concern. Seems it has a higher percentage of PAO according to MSDS data.

Try searching, there recently have been a few discussions about M1 formulation and has some good feedback in those threads. Try google, " bobistheoilguy M1 PAO Formulation ". Should give you plenty of threads to read up on.

I also thought it was PAO based, but read on here it isn't since a recent reformulation.

But as already mentioned it still meets the same specs.

Must admit I am trying a different oil on the wife's Clio next OCI as I have only ran ELF once and the rest were Mobil 1 I don't really know what difference it will make, going over to 5w40 or 10w40 from 0w40. Though Mobil 1 is still a good oil if it meets yours specs, I am just curious if there is fact in this rumour that some engines are noisier on Mobil 1, soon find out!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Isn't performance more important than what it is made of

I don't want to get into a debate about performance or what oil is best. All I want to know is if Mobil One is still PAO based or not.

It is very short sighted to pick an oil because you demand that it have X basestock.

Especially if you cannot specifically quantify by UOA or other analytical result, why you need PAO, ester, etc.

The "value proposition" argument really just doesnt cut it.

I can appreciate that we all want the best value for our money, but utilizing one chemical basestock as that basis is just silly.

What performance aspect are you trying to maximize?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It is very short sighted to pick an oil because you demand that it have X basestock.

Especially if you cannot specifically quantify by UOA or other analytical result, why you need PAO, ester, etc.

I can appreciate that we all want the best value for our money, but utilizing one chemical basestock as that basis is just silly.

All I'm asking for is an answer to a very simple question. I'm not looking for everyones opinion on how I should choose an oil.

I just want to know if Mobil One is still made purley from PAO basestocks like it used to be in the past.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I think a little respect is in order here, and deserved for the OP same as what you would demand for yourself.

An explanation is not owed, nor required. He simply wants to know about the formulation. It is not necessary to engage in The Inquisition to simply answer the question.
21.gif

Pablo may know, but I doubt any oil is 100% PAO today. As for M1 M1, it's the best performing M1 oil I have used in the decades I have used their product. Blends of base stock actually provide a better lubricant than straight this or that.

I don't like to use Mobil 1 any longer and i was a huge fan of their 0w40. After reading this you can see why.

Quote:
What is the communication strategy?
With the exception of Germany, this reformulation will be invisible to
consumers and B2B customers.
• Claims are identical with the exception of some now obsolete or soon to
be obsolete claims
• Performance of new formulations are equivalent to current formulations
Testing is underway to provide read-across of current marketing
claims to new formulations
Review will take place of current marketing literature to ensure
accuracy of specific claims to new formulations (e.g. if we quote
actual pour point values then this would need to be updated).
• There will be no proactive customer communication relating to this
reformulation. However, an internal briefing document and Q&A has
been prepared to allow sales to respond in the unlikely event of a
customer question.
Due to the unique definition of synthetic in Germany (Synthetic = 100%
PAO) this reformulation is visible to the consumer and B2B customers.
• A more proactive communication is being prepared for German use

In other words we changed the formula and wont answer any questions about it.
Because the Germans have this law protecting them from shenanigans like this we need to spin a bald faced lie, put some smoke and mirrors up and come up with some half baked marketing scheme called SHC technology.
I could give rats rear if it performs the same or not, this company (they are not alone) is putting one over and are unethical as a bast...
I don't like to knowingly reward companies like this by giving them my $$$.

PU is PAO/GTL a true synthetic and priced almost the same.
I try to use it whenever possible and when their 0w40 becomes more available there will be no more Mobil 1 in my garage.
Personally i am liking Shell products more than ever.

This is the bottom line.
If i buy a gold watch and get a heavy gold plated stainless watch with the same movement instead some here on BITOG would say it makes no difference.
It keeps time with the same accuracy, it sure looks the same and because the plating is so thick it will never wear off so its the same or equal.
Okay fine but will you pay $1500 an ounce for it? And if you did would you just accept it or sue them for fraud?
Not saying folks should sue the oil company but you get the point.

27.gif

Originally Posted By: Fred H.
I just want to know if Mobil One is still made purley from PAO basestocks like it used to be in the past.

It is not. And it has never been. No oil out there is made purely from PAO.

No. While Mobil 1 silver does contain PAO, it isn't the dominate basestock.

What everybody is trying to tell you is that it doesn't make a major difference.

Originally Posted By: Trav
PU is PAO/GTL a true synthetic and priced almost the same.
I try to use it whenever possible and when their 0w40 becomes more available there will be no more Mobil 1 in my garage.
Personally i am liking Shell products more than ever.

Except that when on sale (which is often), M1 0w-40 is actually less expensive than the comparable PU 5w-40.

What Trav said up there^^^. Exactly. Every word of it.

I don't like to knowingly reward companies like this by giving them my $$$.
This is precisely why I stopped using ExMo products some years ago. M1 may be the best oil on the planet, but it won't be in my crankcase again.

I'd really like to know, because I'm paying nearly $6 a qt for what I believe is true PAO based synthetic. I use the 5w-30 in my car and the 15w-50 in my bike.

My feeling is that if Mobil One has changed over to a Group III oil, then I'll stop buying it, and look for a less expensive oil. I don't mind paying extra for Mobil One if it is indeed a PAO based oil, but if it isn't then I don't see why I should continue to pay extra for it.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer on what Mobil One uses for base stock, PAO or group III?
If you want primary PAO base you may wish to investigate Amsoil signature series but you will most likely pay a bit more for the performance increase - if you have the need for such a lubricant.

What does PU stand for?

PU=Pennzoil Ultra

As to the PAO content of Mobil 1, the best guess is that the regular Mobil 1 is mostly Group III, with PAO in the mix. The Extended Performance and High Mileage versions of Mobil 1 are mostly PAO with group III in the mix. Mobil 1 is not saying what percentages of the base oil is PAO, so these are just educated guesses.

Last edited:
It's ironic that this thread is going on at the same time as buster's thread which shows the PAO percentage of various M1 oils. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2786564#Post2786564
MSDS for viscosity grades not listed below can also be found.

PAO % in M1 from Japanese MSDSs
0W-20: 40-50
0W-30: 10-20
5W-30: 20-30

PAO is used largely to decrease volatility, Cold Cranking Visocosity, and cold Pumping Viscosity. Those are the three parameters that PAO definitely beats Group III and III+ in.

Alkylated napthalene and esters have potent effects in low doses when mixed with PAO and Group III, so it's unwise to not give their possible presence any possible credit.

If i buy a gold watch and get a heavy gold plated stainless watch with the same movement instead some here on BITOG would say it makes no difference.
It keeps time with the same accuracy, it sure looks the same and because the plating is so thick it will never wear off so its the same or equal.
Okay fine but will you pay $1500 an ounce for it? And if you did would you just accept it or sue them for fraud?
Not saying folks should sue the oil company but you get the point.

27.gif

The difference is that if the gold watch says 24kt gold, swiss made, and then it is plated and chinese, that is misrepresentation.

You can argue Grp III being or not being synthetic (hint - PAO gets its ethylene from the same cat crackers that Grp III gets its slack wax, its not some magical monomer feedstock from the gods that is used for PAO... just the same crude derived stuff), but there is no claim, even from the blenders that sell more "synthetic" (PAO/POE) fluids as to the specific ratios, quantities and types. But what we know is that the blenders that use majority PAO/POE have a price that is double Mobil 1. So when the OP wants to go for a "cheaper" oil, well, he already has it; and, when studied from UOA and other aspects, there is no compelling benefit to having that majority of any specific base stock.

Why? Because it is such a complex chemical mixture with so many things going into it, that no one component, even if magic basestock x is put in at high fractions, does all the heavy lifting and verifies the performance for most practical aspects, cold temperature flow perhaps aside.

Nope, its far more like saying that you want a meal and one chef uses the more expensive boutique ingredients for most everything, and the other chef only uses them for the few flavors that are the most critical, and both meals in the end sustain and taste very close to one another, but one is twice as expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back