Is Mazda winning the SUV market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CX9 is too small for the segment. But their vehicles are very nice. I would look at a cx5 if in the market for a vehicle that size.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Some Toyotas are made by Mazda. That says a lot. I think Toyota bought a part of Mazda, not sure but there was something abut that on here.

Yes, Toyota owns a chunk of Mazda now. It's been a few years.

5%, correct?

It gets confusing. Mazda bought a small amount of Toyota shares. Toyota bought 16% ( I thought) of Mazda. A couple of banks have large interest in Mazda which also have Toyota connections.

I just checked the wiki but that shows different now.

Toyota also has shares in Subaru, Suzuki, Daihatsu and a bunch more.

Originally Posted by miden851
Mazda is winning?!? Mazda is a niche company that sells a few cars; meanwhile, RAV4 has been sold nearly 500K units in 2019 alone

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Im wondering what the projected numbers are on the Korean made Telluride and Palisades. I'm guessing you are going to get a whole lot more SUV with Kia/Hyundai. Im betting they will outsell Mazda.

Is Mazda winning the SUV market?

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Mazda is a one trick pony in terms of US sales. The CX-5 was best seller and everything else went down for 2019.

The Cx-9 is decent but no sales star.

Originally Posted by Vikas
Originally Posted by Trav
I would buy a Highlander before a Mazda anytime. Better engine and a nice solid well built body, rust through is not a real issue.

I am with you; I will wait another decade before accepting that Mazda has fixed the rust through. To be fair, I have come across too many Mazda 3 with premature body rust but not any Miata with corroded body. CX series is relatively young.

Pinnacle of rust protection: Toyota.
I bet those Tundra and Tacoma owners were not aware of this.

You own a 5 year old Toyota in CO is it rotten? At least Toyota stood behind the rusted frames unlike Ford who blamed it on road salt and told their owners in a nice way to go scratch their backsides with a broken bottle.

I got the frame rustproofing recall on my Gen 1 Tundra that I bought used in 2013 and now the truck is 16 years old and there is no frame rust on it whatsoever. Truck was already 9 years old when recalled. Now it is 7 winters later and not a speck of frame rust.

Just mention the name Toyota and a certain poster comes. It's Pavlovian in a way.

Mazda is a small automaker. They are not trying to compete with the bigger automakers. That would be foolish. They build cars that reflect their heritage and engineering prowess. The SkyActiv Initiative was their rebirth.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I've always thought of the CR-V/Pilot and the RAV-4/Highlander as the "can't go wrong" SUV's but it seems Mazda has been challenging this lately. Seems like Mazda really nailed it with the Skyactiv engines and they were smart to stay away from turbo's and CVT tranny's. On top of all the smart mechanical moves, they are really gorgeous vehicles, CX5-7-9, Mazda 6, etc.

I was dead set on a Honda Pilot after when our Van starts to go but now I'm not so sure.

Been very happy with my Mazdas. My CX5 turbo is actually entertaining, and build quality is one of the highest I've ever seen in a mainstream brand. I've had it nearly 30K miles, and part of my commute is 3 miles of gravel roads every day. I have still yet to develop any rattles or squeaks like my Neighbor's AMG 43 GLC, and my girlfriend's Ford Edge sounds absolutely rattly on that road by comparison to both. Same for her Pilot and any other vehicle I've driven or ridden in down said roads. The CX5 2017+ is carved from billet, by comparison. A lot of this has to do with how rediculously rigid the body is. It's in supercar territory if you look up the data. Stiffer than my 370Z, I believe, and that thing was pretty cohesive.

I love my CX5 and Mazda3. The 2.5 liter in both vehicles is more than adequate. I have gone on 1000 mile trips in both and found them to be very comfortable and with excellent road manners and handling as Mazda is noted for. My son got a new CX5 signature with the turbo motor. That is one nice vehicle. On the highway it gets 1 to 2 mpg less than mine. But lots of power on tap when needed. The interiors of Mazda are far more upscale than their competitors in my opinion.

Originally Posted by maintenanceMan
New Mazda's are built in Japan, that is what helped me make the decision to buy a Mazda. Build quality is highest there, imo.

My 2015 3 was built in Mexico. I had no problems with it.

I would also like to add that the 6 spd auto trans in a Mazda is soooo much nicer than a CVT. I'm especially impressed with the well timed down shifts.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by maintenanceMan
New Mazda's are built in Japan, that is what helped me make the decision to buy a Mazda. Build quality is highest there, imo.

My 2015 3 was built in Mexico. I had no problems with it.

My 2013 was Japan I believe. At least when I ran the VIN on a decoder site it says Japan.

You buy a Mazda with your heart while a Toyota or a Honda with your head; those sold units from the above, simply reflect that

Let me say that as a former Mazda6 owner and a fan of Mazda, Mazda is definitely not winning the SUV market. In north america Mazda is unfortunately a niche brand with meagre sales, and while their SUV offerings are probably their most market competitive offerings to the average new car buyer Mazda is hardly on the radar. The last time Mazda was winning in North America was in the mid 2000's when the new 3 and 6 (which where huge improvement of their predecessors) caught the competition off guard and ate up market share.

I don't think not building certain models in Japan or the past tie up with Ford did any harm to Mazda. For most of the time Ford had a ownership stake in Mazda, Ford made some lousy cars but the partnership benefited both companies. Ford got access to Mazda's superior 4 cylinder engines, Mazda got access to Ford's Duratec and Cyclone V6's and they cooperated on developing new car platforms. My old Mazda6 was build in Flat Rock, Michigan at the then 50/50 JV plant with a Mazda modified version of the Duratec 30 V6 and it was a great car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back