Is Liquimoly Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey BITOGers
Ive never seen a oil analysis which really showed an amazing result when using Liquimoly.... Is the stuff overrated especially when you factor in the cost?

Can't most of the same spec's be met with a lot of the Mobil 1 or Castrol offerings?

Originally Posted by ad244
Hey BITOGers
Ive never seen a oil analysis which really showed an amazing result when using Liquimoly.... Is the stuff overrated especially when you factor in the cost?

Can't most of the same spec's be met with a lot of the Mobil 1 or Castrol offerings?

That is most easily determined by looking at the label on the container or the PDS and seeing which ones are, or aren't listed. Oil analysis won't tell you squat in terms of approvals and specs.

That is the consensus here on several posts on the topic (some mine). I have been using LM on my Golf Sportwagen and it certainly looks fine to me in terms of UOA but I'm sure I can achieve the same results for half the price. I paid ~$65 delivered for my last LM oil change kit from an online Euro-part retailer I like to purchase from that included 6L of oil, a VW filter, and drain plug. I like the convenience and the hate to say it, we all get to spend money on what we want and I like it so I buy it. If going to Walmart and getting M1 or Castrol 0W40 on sale and rebates etc. and getting filters/drain plugs on Amazon is your thing, by all means go with it! I know a lot of folks say the 0W40 oils (for those looking for the typical Euro approvals i.e. VW502.00) are higher-quality than the LM 5W40. This is my last UOA.

18 GOLF SW-190703_UOA_15K.jpg

Last edited:
Hey BITOGers

BUT, you are paying those oversized Made in Germany letters? I mean, don't you feel you get AT LEAST 20hp using that oil?
Yes, Mobi1 and Castrol meet all those requirements and are available in Wal mart.
Liqui Moly is OK oil, but it is average in every aspect. They are more focused on marketing than anything. When Group III oils started to make their ways as "synthetic" Liqui Moly immediately switched to group III and by far was the most aggressive in selling it as something beneficial.

IMO LM is overpriced relative to the competition.

Motor oil is so inexpensive in the United States so it's difficult for an importer to be competitive.

Last edited:
I did watch a funny video on YouTube from a Euro tuning shop a while back that was doing a special on ECU flash tunes. In the promo/video they were trying to get folks to do preventative maintenance ahead of the tune at their shop including spark plugs and oil changes (smart). The guy in the video says "get your oil changed with LM, it's higher quality than inferior oils like M1 and Castrol" - hahahahahaha. Hey, whatever sells stuff. Again, I'm a LM user but understand it's not magical or really any better than the other common oils for these approvals.

So redline 5w30 is known to be a tick killer, no oil like it that I have seen and for those interested we have tested many. One particular case redline wouldn't kill the guys tick, his application was 40 weight, and he added liqui moly mos2 to his redline run and the tick was killed. So overrated, depends on what you are using it for. We do believe this guys issue was piston slap and not lifters as it was a cold thing only, but clearly it worked.

Originally Posted by burla
So redline 5w30 is known to be a tick killer, no oil like it that I have seen and for those interested we have tested many. One particular case redline wouldn't kill the guys tick, his application was 40 weight, and he added liqui moly mos2 to his redline run and the tick was killed. So overrated, depends on what you are using it for. We do believe this guys issue was piston slap and not lifters as it was a cold thing only, but clearly it worked.

The customer should pull out all the MOS2 which sank to the bottom of his oil pan and re-sell it.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Hey BITOGers

BUT, you are paying those oversized Made in Germany letters? I mean, don't you feel you get AT LEAST 20hp using that oil?
Yes, Mobi1 and Castrol meet all those requirements and are available in Wal mart.
Liqui Moly is OK oil, but it is average in every aspect. They are more focused on marketing than anything. When Group III oils started to make their ways as "synthetic" Liqui Moly Royal Purple immediately switched to group III and by far was the most aggressive in selling it as something beneficial.

Royal Purple

Fixed that for you
smile.gif

Royal Purple is presently on shelves at Walmart for like $30 to $40 in 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and is Group 3, API SN.. Mobil 1 is probably a better oil, Royal Purple is no longer special and there are those that will say it was always hype, now it does not seem to warrant the cost and the Supertech on the shelf is probably as good or better, certainly the premium offerings as M1 and others too...

If Moly is desired get QSUD.......

The customer should pull out all the MOS2 which sank to the bottom of his oil pan and re-sell it.

LiquiMoly NextGen
lol.gif

Thought it was circulated and held in suspension every time the oil reached operating temperature. Makes the oil look like grease.

I just used half a bottle of Shaeffer's Moly EP in Forte at last oil change and engine starts easier and runs waaaay smoother and quieter since, but took about 100miles to notice the change.

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by edyvw
Hey BITOGers

Liqui Moly is OK oil, but it is average in every aspect. They are more focused on marketing than anything. When Group III oils started to make their ways as "synthetic" Liqui Moly Royal Purple immediately switched to group III and by far was the most aggressive in selling it as something beneficial.

Royal Purple

Fixed that for you
smile.gif

Royal Purple is presently on shelves at Walmart for like $30 to $40 in 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and is Group 3, API SN.. Mobil 1 is probably a better oil, Royal Purple is no longer special and there are those that will say it was always hype, now it does not seem to warrant the cost and the Supertech on the shelf is probably as good or better, certainly the premium offerings as M1 and others too...

If Moly is desired get QSUD.......

LiquiMoly NextGen
lol.gif

Thought it was circulated and held in suspension every time the oil reached operating temperature. Makes the oil look like grease.

I am talking about 1990's when HC was a thing in Liqui Moly line up, before coming to US market.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
I did watch a funny video on YouTube from a Euro tuning shop a while back that was doing a special on ECU flash tunes. In the promo/video they were trying to get folks to do preventative maintenance ahead of the tune at their shop including spark plugs and oil changes (smart). The guy in the video says "get your oil changed with LM, it's higher quality than inferior oils like M1 and Castrol" - hahahahahaha. Hey, whatever sells stuff. Again, I'm a LM user but understand it's not magical or really any better than the other common oils for these approvals.

Very interesting thanks for sharing

Originally Posted by dubber09
I just used half a bottle of Shaeffer's Moly EP in Forte at last oil change and engine starts easier and runs waaaay smoother and quieter since, but took about 100miles to notice the change.

Very helpful to the nature of this thread

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by burla

I was thinking the pistons expanded as the engine heated up & killed the cold piston slap.
But whatever.

All the current name brand SN rated oils are pretty darn good. I would stay away from a name like "Budget Oil" at the Dollar Store however, SN rated or not.

Some things are subjective. Or you are changing from worn out oil to new oil.

Hmmm, one would think that an oil made by Liqui"moly" ... would have more than a measly 1 ppm of it in the used oil analysis. I don't think I have seen another UOA with that little of content, pretty ironic...but hey, that's just me.
12.gif

They should change the name to Liqui-calcium or something a little more accurate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
All the current name brand SN rated oils are pretty darn good. I would stay away from a name like "Budget Oil" at the Dollar Store however, SN rated or not.

Some things are subjective. Or you are changing from worn out oil to new oil.

SN alone will not cut it in Euro engines which are focus of this topic.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Hmmm, one would think that an oil made by Liqui"moly" ... would have more than a measly 1 ppm of it in the used oil analysis. I don't think I have seen another UOA with that little of content, pretty ironic...but hey, that's just me.
12.gif

They should change the name to Liqui-calcium or something a little more accurate.

And Quaker State should be renamed b/c I'm fairly confident Quakers aren't involved in it's production...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back