Is it worth changing my Corolla oil before 10k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new 2020 Corolla Hybrid. Factory instructions say to change the oil every 10k.

After doing some reading online, I figured I'd take it in after the first 5k just because the engine is breaking in. I called some places today, and discovered how expensive an oil change with synthetic oil is. I was was all happy to just do it when it was regular oil, but given the fact the oil change will cost me 80-90, I now only want to do it if it's really necessary.

Thoughts on this?

Originally Posted by oxband
I got a new 2020 Corolla Hybrid. Factory instructions say to change the oil every 10k.

After doing some reading online, I figured I'd take it in after the first 5k just because the engine is breaking in. I called some places today, and discovered how expensive an oil change with synthetic oil is. I was was all happy to just do it when it was regular oil, but given the fact the oil change will cost me 80-90, I now only want to do it if it's really necessary.

Thoughts on this?

Is $80-90 really that expensive? - Doesn't the car have Toyota Care?

Find an independent mechanic.

You can buy your own 0w20 synthetic and bring them in for a "regular oil change" price. Those synthetic oil can be had for around $25 when on sale, easily. Then you wait for a coupon for those $20-25 oil change to show up and you get yourself a $40-50 synthetic oil change.

Thoughts on this?

DIY and it isn't going to cost you $80 or $90. I just did mine a week ago with Pennzoil PUP HM 5W-20 cost me $7 and a few cents for oil and filter. Try to get your oil changed cheaper than that at any Oil Change place using their cheapest in house oil. Of course it is your choice DIY or pay more money and have someone else do it.

Last edited:
I think the simple answer here is that it isn't necessary for you to change it early. If Toyota is happy with the 10k oil change then you can be too.

Of course this isn't the only answer to your question, just the most simple. Really there are many factors that affect how important it is to consider an earlier change.

i changed my kids ioniq at 2500 miles. for a hybrid oil was pretty dark for the amount of miles. gonna change it every 5k with synthetic. cost me $25 DIY. i suscribe to the oil is cheap engines are not group.

Toyota says not to change it early so I see not point in changing it early. In the special break in instructions there is no indication an oil change should be performed early. Go 10k and don't worry.

Going to keep it beyond 100K miles? Then yeah, do it sooner. Going to trade it in or sell it before then? Don't worry about it.

Bring it to me. I will do it for you if you want to pay 80.00. LOL All seriousness you can get 0w20 anywhere for a reasonable price then carry it to most places and they will charge you around 20.00 so that would be around 50.00 for name brand oil of spec.

I got a new 2020 Corolla Hybrid
Nice choice! They do know how to build hybrids. Smooth transmission, boost of motor torque off the line, a quality experience ahead for you. On the downside, Exxon-Mobil hates you now for buying less gasoline. Make it up to them by buying Mobil1 AFE 0w16 or 0w20, walmart has it for cheap, and they probably have an oil filter there too.

I like changing oil early. I have a '19 Tiguan & oil went out at 500 miles. Oil analyses on this website show extra wear metals in a new engine which can't be great. Required? No. I say change it soon though.

Thing about a hybrid, is the engine doesn't run but around half the miles. And they aren't turbocharged snorting high power density animals. That reality means 10,000 miles or 1 year is no problem.

Plan to change the oil every 5k - it will reduce the likelihood of developing oil consumption later on.

0W-16 is not inexpensive, but Walmart does make a 0W-16 that can be purchased rather inexpensively.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Plan to change the oil every 5k - it will reduce the likelihood of developing oil consumption later on.

0W-16 is not inexpensive, but Walmart does make a 0W-16 that can be purchased rather inexpensively.

Sound advice.
Perhaps service the oil filter every other time.

If I was going to choose a synthetic oil, any recs for a 2020 Corolla? I know nothing about this and have no idea where to even start thinking about what oil I want.

I figured you had a few free oci. Honda gives three free ones. Just hand them a few qts and I'm off. Started using Castrol Magnatec shortly after the first factory fill. Nice car too.

If I was going to choose a synthetic oil, any recs for a 2020 Corolla? I know nothing about this and have no idea where to even start thinking about what oil I want.

? don't all Toyota's now come with 2 years free oil changes?

Any 0w16 oil will meet demands in a Corolla Hybrid, its not that stressful on oil. Walmart or Amazon are the best bets. Grab the cheapest 0w16 weight one you find.
Choosing oil for a Toyota is very easy compared to some weird specification wording in many other make's owners manuals. My '19 Tiguan only specs hard-to-find oil, for example.

That thing can't take more than five quarts, right? That's a $25 dollar oil change using a name brand synthetic if you do it yourself.

Honestly, buy yourself a set of ramps, a nice oil change pan and it's a ten minute job every 6 months. Put a fumoto drain valve on it and you won't even get any oil on you. Piece of cake.

Changing your oil early isn't going to make or break the longevity of the car. I've gone the recommended interval for the factory fill and didn't cause any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back