Is Champion COS3593a safe for Kia/Hyundai?

The reason for question is that Champion recommends it for Kia/Hyundai as well as bunch of other Asian vehicles.
Seems like Fram was doing the same with their PH3593a (same code), but then they've come up with 9688 line specifically for Kia/Hyundai (something related to spikes in oil pressure)

I thought the only real difference between the 9688/7317/3593A was size, 7317 was a bit smaller in diameter and little longer and only needed for some Honda's after about 2012, but they started spec'ing them in 2002 or 03. My Subaru takes 9688's but will take a 3593A also.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I thought the only real difference between the 9688/7317/3593A was size, 7317 was a bit smaller in diameter and little longer and only needed for some Honda's after about 2012, but they started spec'ing them in 2002 or 03. My Subaru takes 9688's but will take a 3593A also.

Seems like Fram specifies 3593A for your Tribeca, 9688 will fit for sure but I saw it numerous times here on bitog that 9688 was designed specifically to deal with oil pressure issues of kia/hyundai
I've got like 10 champ cos3593a and really not sure now if I should use them

I was actually wondering the same thing. They is another manufacturer that groups the Hyundai part numbers with others like Honda. I think it was Purolator or Bosch? I kinda like that Fram has a unique part number for Hyundai and probably built to handle the oil pressure spikes. I also bought 3 of the COS filters off Rockauto and have been reluctant to use them on my Hyundai.

Wix Specs their 51334 filter for the 2017 Kia Sportage which specs the same as the 3593A filters.

20x1.5mm Thread with an 8-11psi bypass.

They also cross reference the PH9688 to the 51334 line of filters.

I'd say it looks like you'd be ok using them.

I also bought a bunch of COS3593A from RockAuto for my 2013 Kia Optima.

Texas doesn't get crazy cold, so I am not expecting any excessive oil pressure issues.

If one of them DOES fail, everyone here will know about it!
lol.gif
grin2.gif

The issue is pressure spikes. If you look at the OEM Hyundai filter it is built like a race car filter, and is heavy as a brick.

If champion engineered the filter for this application they probably meet the pressure rating, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I haven't messed with anything but the Hyundai filters because the dealer does a 5w30 blend oil change with new filter for $24.99, so I haven't bothered.

Also I still have warranty on my engine so its "nice" to have oil changes on record at the dealer.

I guess Maybe I’m prophetic…

Yes, my Champion COS 3593A actually did fail in this cold weather.
I guess the “pressure spike” everyone talks about with Hyundai/Kia with cold oil is a “real thing”

Attachments

• 193EA47E-5093-4C23-9D36-37A8AACBD55A.jpeg
    193EA47E-5093-4C23-9D36-37A8AACBD55A.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 52
  • B380F0C0-3A46-45F1-965C-552C261C654A.jpeg
    B380F0C0-3A46-45F1-965C-552C261C654A.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 51
Two little trickle streams of oil, at least for about a minute until the engine warmed up enough where the oil was thin enough the massive oil pressure causing the leak went away..... I have a 20 second video, but can’t seem to post it

Two little trickle streams of oil, at least for about a minute until the engine warmed up enough where the oil was thin enough the massive oil pressure causing the leak went away..... I have a 20 second video, but can’t seem to post it
Hummm ... guess that means it was just the rubber base gasket that was leaking? What weight oil are you using in arctic Texas now?

Last edited:
It has a mix, mostly 5W-20 Shell Rotella Truck that I got on clearance. Maybe even a quart or two of 5W-40 Delvac.
I just topped it up with 0W-20 Quaker State advanced durability synthetic.
I have a Fram tough guard TG3593A that I’m going to put on instead

Well, instead of swapping out the filter… I thought I would just check to see how tight it was. Oddly, I installed it when it was about 70° F outside - on a warm engine...., so I can’t say that the rubber gasket was stiff from the cold?!?… But the darn thing was loose! I tightened it nearly half a turn, it’s not leaking anymore.
Since the leak always went away after the engine warmed up (I’ve driven this thing all week… It has to have been leaking every time when I started it cold) ... I’m surprised I didn’t lose more oil. Obviously, the pressure really is a lot higher when the engine is cold

I would recommend sticking with the original Hyundai/Kia filters. They are quite substantial. They are designed to handle the oil pressure those engines can see. And I think that you will sleep better using one. I have played with other filters and have gone back to oem. You can pick up a six pack on line at a good price.

Loose filter isnt a filter problem....its an installer problem

I dont use or recommend the OE Hyundai filter. I recommend any full synthetic filter.

Using these Champion filters in my Hyundai and KIA. Bought a ton of them. No issues at all after using probably 6 of them over the last couple years. Coldest one has seen is probably 14 degrees. Worked fine. Above issue looks like a gasket problem. Maybe not on tight enough? Not sure. If the can broke, it wouldn't stop leaking until the oil was gone!

Yes, it was a warm day when I installed it. I know I tightened it enough. I tightened it again, about another 1/3 of a turn… It’s fine now

Back