Iridium sparkplugs @ 100k mi., pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
These plugs are OE off 3.0L Accord just turned topic miles. Replaced with NGK, also OM listed OE replacement. On RA Denso and NGK close to same price, but lowest cost shipping ~$8 for USPS ship. Denso significantly more at Amazon and Advance (~$3.50 each more). The latter where I ended up purchasing online, store pick up using 25% discount, ~$49 all in including tax. Lowest price of known reliable sources I could find. I saw where ebay has 6 for $22 and change. "IF" they are real, great price. Using RA, Amazon, AAP et al as comparison, seems too good to be true.

I checked the gap post use thinking might have opened up some. These factory gapped ~.043 all still right at that spec. Other than that nothing remarkable or surprising here. They did require some effort to get out.
[Linked Image]

A pic of a couple tools I found particularly useful doing the sparks. On the right, Pittsburg flexible ratchet that I purchased many years ago at HF, ~$10-12. Socket quick release and 72 teeth, made in Taiwan. Haven't used it very often but especially useful this time for the back fire wall plugs. On left, 390 Lumen Braun Magnetic Slim Bar Led Light, paid ~$20 at HF about a year and half ago. Again very useful for back plug visibility. Like it so much, got an extended parking lot sale coupon online email, again for $20, I may buy another this weekend.
[Linked Image]

The NGK
[Linked Image]

Those originals look awesome-I wonder how many more miles they could have gone without any problems? Although, it would get harder & harder to change them if you had waited.

Looks great, I also have changed plugs in all my cars based on time not mileage. Again similar results, even in the GDI pig.

Mine came out around 75k.

I went with Autolite iridium because they had a killer rebate at the time, and have had no problems.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Those originals look awesome-I wonder how many more miles they could have gone without any problems? Although, it would get harder & harder to change them if you had waited.
Functionally, likely could have gone significantly farther. Having done Honda OE Iridium at similar interval, these pretty much in line, looking like they could go longer. At 100k miles still good ROI imo at that interval.

I think the 100k is a good number, if you go further and start eroding the gap you risk burning a coil. Plugs $...coil $$$.

I have two of the same flashlight and they have held up. Good buy for $20. LED's just keep getting better and better.

Originally Posted by LotI
...I have two of the same flashlight and they have held up. Good buy for $20......
Agreed. I'm not sure where I read it, maybe bitog with a link provided, it was one of the highly recommended HF products. $20 as low as I've seen it in awhile. Also agree, 100k interval a good number for Iridium with perhaps diminishing returns later.

How does it run on the NGK?

Good you got OE number and not something else.

I always go with the blue-letter OE plugs.

I'm Not an NGK fan but their OE Ir have been good.

Plugs look great.
FYI, when I changed the factory plugs in our 2006 TSX, there were 2 Densos and 2 NGKs.

I bet she runs smooth...

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
...How does it run on the NGK?...
Great, same as the Denso. As noted, NGK also owners manual listed OE. I've used NGK Iridium before on a now 285k+ mi 2001 Honda Civic EX, solid performance. Nothing against Denso, in this case with plugs I won't pay more for them than NGK. Coincidentally or not, both say on the plug Japan then Assembled in USA. And NGK does a have NC plant not too far from where I live. Ime, NGK Iridium great plugs.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Plugs look great.
FYI, when I changed the factory plugs in our 2006 TSX, there were 2 Densos and 2 NGKs.

I bet she runs smooth...
That's different, two Denso two NGK. I had a Tacoma 3.4L that used two different Denso plugs depending on side. You could use one Denso plug if it was the one from one side, but not vice versa. Not sure that makes sense. But when I changed them I just used one plug.

Last edited:
I just used autolites in my 08 impala and switched them at 110k and the originals were still in excellent shape. I must say the autolites are great for the price. Faster starts and gained an mpg.

Resonant shared coil reverse -firing toyota and fords use a plug that is less prone to misfire on the "backwards" Ground-to-Center electrode firing cylinder holes
to greatly reduce misfiring and catalytic converter harm - and improve gas mileage.

I would like to know if the NGK plugs ebay link in the OP are legit. It does say shipping, fast and free. Not sure I'd consider Nov 4 delivery fast though. There seem to be other NGK ebay listings with similar prices. That said, I'm satisfied with AAP price from known retail source, and same day pick up which is less than a mile from my home.

I recently put plugs in my 2003 Accord 4 cyl. and used NGK as well. NGK recommends no anti seize of any type should be used when installing. Did you use any type of anti seize? Just wondering. I usually do but decided just to use a drop of oil based on their recommendation of not using anti seize.

^^^^Figured the anti-seize use question might come up. Aware of NGK recommendation, though reading a tad further on thier site seems they now allow a little leeway mentioning reducing torque spec a bit if a-s used. I've also read the many bitog threads on a-s use over the years and several other sources before doing the job. NGK non vehicle specific recommendation, ~18-21 ft/lbs for the NGK 6994 used. Honda recommendation is ~13ft/lbs. I used just enough a-s to say I used some, just a 'very' narrow/thin line top to bottom threads and torqued to 13 ft/lbs.

I would also mention that before buying the plugs, I made sure I could get all the back side plugs out.

Those could be the nicest looking plugs I've seen in a long time for 100K miles in service.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Those could be the nicest looking plugs I've seen in a long time for 100K miles in service.
Agreed, they look good.

[Linked Image]

Headliner otoh, not so much. Being refinished week after next. Same guy I used several years ago for Civic, did a good job. Mostly does upholstery now and only space inside shop with AC for those jobs. Since cooler out now, he's agreed to do mine.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is my understanding that NGK uses a tin plating on their plug threads to facilitate removal after long service interval. Those Densos removed look like they had some kind of a coating on the threads. My 04 Camry V6 has the OEM plugs with 78,000 miles. I have some concern about removing them but dealer says no problem. Too much of a project for me anymore.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
It is my understanding that NGK uses a tin plating on their plug threads to facilitate removal after long service interval. Those Densos removed look like they had some kind of a coating on the threads. My 04 Camry V6 has the OEM plugs with 78,000 miles. I have some concern about removing them but dealer says no problem. Too much of a project for me anymore.
My understanding, shiny looking threads not supposed to use/need anti-sieze, supposed to have some kind of coating already on them. I suspect the new Denso look same as NGK. Regarding topic plugs, it does look as though a few of the plugs had/have some kind of material (black-ish) on the thread. At least two of the three were in firewall side, maybe three. But the fronts, at least two of three didn't appear to have it. Don't know that it means much, both sides appeared to require a similar amount of force to remove. Just being on back side, some extra leaning and a bit more awkward but not terrible to access and enough room for extension(s) (for slacktide bitog). Fronts easily accessed naturally, as would be the 4 banger. Really though, overall 3.0L not bad and I'm no spring chicken.
55.gif

Looking at a diy youtube for 3.0L Camry, looks like significantly more difficult to access rear plugs than Honda. Looks like underneath intake plenum. Mechanic who does it semi regularly should be able to handle it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
My understanding, shiny looking threads not supposed to use/need anti-sieze, supposed to have some kind of coating already on them. I suspect the new Denso look same as NGK. Regarding topic plugs, it does look as though a few of the plugs had/have some kind of material (black-ish) on the thread. At least two of the three were in firewall side, maybe three. But the fronts, at least two of three didn't appear to have it. Don't know that it means much, both appeared to require a similar amount of force to remove. Just being on back side, some extra leaning and a bit more awkward but not terrible to access and enough room for extension(s) (for slacktide bitog). Fronts easily accessed naturally, as would be a 4 banger.

Looking at a diy youtube for 3.0L Camry, looks like significantly more difficult to access rear plugs than Honda. Looks like underneath intake plenum. Mechanic who does it semi regularly should be able to handle it.

You have to remove the throttle body and part of the induction system to access the back three plugs. PITA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back